Bad parenting

Help Support CattleToday:

We ate out at a Texas Roadhouse a while back. Family across the partition from us had a little feller that threw something over our table, folks made him apologize, but he kept looming over our table, He was evidently standing in seat at an angle behind me so I couldn't really see what he was doing but my wife said she was afraid more stuff was going to come flying over onto our table and food.
I can't remember where it was but I believe I've seen a similar sign in a restaurant somewhere recently too.

When our son was just a tyke, 20 some odd years ago, we were eating at a place on the gulf coast of Fl. Our son wanted to play at the beach and on the playground so he was out of line. I picked him up and brought him out to the playground so as not to be an issue. About 20 min later, the guy on the other side of the patio deck was on his way out after his meal. Just smiled and said thank you as he opened the door to his car. Come to find out he paid for our food before he left. Never said a word.

I waitressed for years at a local, family pancake house. We had mostly very well behaved kids with their parents and Sunday's were a big thing after church. Lots of regulars would come every day and every week. There were a few times that we would get some brats... and I once got reprimanded by the boss for asking the parents if they allowed their kids to act that way at home. I told them that I understood having kids, had one myself, but that if my son ever did what their kids were doing, out in public, he wouldn't sit down for a week. Plus, he would be down on the floor cleaning up his mess or go without a meal that he threw all over. Several patrons came over and gave me a "tip" when they were leaving and I was not their waitress... just because they appreciated that I had the gall to speak up.
I have had parents take their kids out, and have had some that would come and apologize for a temper tantrum and try to clean up some mess... and I appreciated that.
This was before the time of cell phones and parents just totally ignoring the kids to be on their phones. Or for the whole family to all sit in their little personal cocoon on a phone and no family interaction at all... I hate what these phones have done and the way people allow it to happen.
Plus, there is not near the stigma of a child being a brat. Used to be it was embarassing for a parent to have their kid being rude and unruly. Nowadays, it is the norm in many places...
Disgraceful....

Last edited:
What now seems like a lifetime ago, way back when my son was toddler. The pediatrician had my son on Prednisone for his asthma, well that stuff really mess with how they function, and the tantrums were terrible. One afternoon we were in I think a Red Lobster in Denver, and he had one of his tantrums; he threw a saucer and hit some guy in the arm. I took my son into the bathroom to have a talk with him, they guy told my wife that he had one heck of a pitching arm. Later that afternoon we were getting ready to head back to Craig, but we need to stop at Office Depot first. He then proceeded to tantrum there, and I am sure everyone in there were watching us as we went into the car. As I was driving home I told my wife that if that doctor ever put our son back on Prednisone ever again he and I were going to have words, and he would not like how my words would feel.

With Prednisone in there system they just can't control themselves, and if they are on it to long it strips the calcium out of their bones; he broke his femur at four years old. My son was osteopenic at four years old; fortunately he grew out of that. The doctor at National Jewish told us not let him jump and twist, and I asked doctor pray tell me how we should accomplish that. To which he didn't have an answer. It was probably a good thing I and that pediatrician paths never crossed; I was pretty pissed at that point.

This was before the time of cell phones and parents just totally ignoring the kids to be on their phones. Or for the whole family to all sit in their little personal cocoon on a phone and no family interaction at all... I hate what these phones have done and the way people allow it to happen.
Hear!! Hear!!!!
We have become a society of rude and self absorbed morons.
Even at my own holiday family gatherings, the minute the meal is over (some won't wait that long) the phones come out and there is almost silence in the house. My own wife does it constantly..stays on her phone doing......I dunno. Playing games mostly.
(So far, the dog has not abandoned me.)

It's just one of the reasons I still use a flip phone with internet service terminated from it. I DO have a smart phone now, only because of the gizmo implanted in my back, but it's still in the box and will stay there until I have to use it.

(Most ill behaving children should be parboiled, roasted and eaten)

Back in the day, we ate out a lot (my mom hated to cook). If we started acting up in a restaurant, we were sent to the car, by ourselves, with no dinner. All it took was a couple "walks of shame" through the restaurant. Oh, the embarrassment! Cuz everybody knew we were in trouble. Parents certainly couldn't do that now.

Back in the day, we ate out a lot (my mom hated to cook). If we started acting up in a restaurant, we were sent to the car, by ourselves, with no dinner. All it took was a couple "walks of shame" through the restaurant. Oh, the embarrassment! Cuz everybody knew we were in trouble. Parents certainly couldn't do that now.
Walking through the restaurant with your head down and a pouty lower lip! Hahaha

(Most ill behaving children should be parboiled, roasted and eaten)(y)
It all started back with "Dr. Benjamin Spock" and his "do not discipline the children" theory.
Nope, drawn and quartered and hung by their heels as a deterrent to other spoiled little brats....Wouldn't want to eat such sour bad attitudes....

I find it hard to believe that you were ever an unruly child.

I think that some of the problems with kids misbehaving in public could be due to doctors having these kids on to many drugs. There seems to be a drug for everything. You can try to discipline them, but it does not work. I know when my son was on the prednisone spanking or anything else didn't seem to work. Once he was off the prednisone he was just a normal calm kid. While he was on it he could not control himself, nor did he understand why. As parents we didn't understand it, heck we didn't even know until after we got him off the drug. There for awhile we felt as if we were socially unacceptable, and didn't go out that much. We didn't know what this drug was doing to our kid.

(Most ill behaving children should be parboiled, roasted and eaten)(y)
It all started back with "Dr. Benjamin Spock" and his "do not discipline the children" theory.
It's pretty surprising to me how the failure of that idea has still not been recognized by the teachers that have to deal with the hellions in their own classrooms. It's no wonder there is a teacher shortage.

It's pretty surprising to me how the failure of that idea has still not been recognized by the teachers that have to deal with the hellions in their own classrooms. It's no wonder there is a teacher shortage.
Teachers are no longer allowed discipline the kids any more. If they do they get charged with child abuse. When we were kids once the ring leader got his comeuppance the rest fell in line. My cousin used to be a teacher, and she got called a racist because she disciplined a black kid just like she would have any other kid. Beside she was expected to buy the kids that could not afford supplies with her own money.

Latest posts