Book bad, again. This sure does get old.

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said Walt.

I don't get the "them" or "those people" thing either. It seems that nothing can be said without offense being taken. What was he supposed to say?

The race card gets played way too often.(I am not referring to what the teacher said) As I have said before, I don't hear white or any other race for that matter sitting around talking bad about black people or using the n word.

Should other races be offended because there are black beauty pagents, affirmative action, black colleges etc....?

If we are all to be treated equally, we need to all be treated equally, no special treatment for anyone.

Topkick":2k65v79b said:
Jogeephus":2k65v79b said:
If he makes it to college, he best not study wildlife managment. Stoddard's book, "The Bob White Quail - It's Habits, Preservation and Increase" is required reading and Stoddard uses the word quite liberally throughout the book. Of course, 1931 was a different time and no offense was intended.

Plain and simple thats what they choose to be called back then.
If the kid has a problem tell him to take a hike and set at the cemetery and talk to his ancestors. Then take it up with the Al Sharptons and Jessie Jacksons of the day that turned it into a bad word or offensive word. Words are only offensive to people that are looking for or sparing for a fight. There are few words that make me put anyone in check. They are the f words and such when expressed in the presence of women and children. I will remind these folks every time to be respect full to the women and children.

1983 i was visiting family in Akron Ohio we went to this Italian restaurant and the whole college football team was in line. THEY WERE tossing them words around and would have made a sailor blush. I went o them and advised them my kids and nieces and nephews were in line to clean it up or we could go out side and discuss it. They shut up and a little while later a few of them approached our tables and apologized.

Then one time We were in catfish cabin in Jackson Tennessee. Guy at the table was letting her roll. MY FATHER-INLAW approached this guys table and told him to clean it up or he would drag him out side and clean his mouth up. Best i remember that guy never opened his mouth again except to eat.

Yea that was the good old days when people settled their differences and john law stayed out of it.
8)

Which is pretty good if you have the size to back it up , The little guy however has to be smarter

I can't stand the black bath stewards but I mean the african ones who are still in the millenium of tribal warfare ,which is kill everybody else but your own tribe.

They copy the white mans ways and wonder why it falls apart. They don't understand the reasons ie. they will call themselves a Governor but have no idea what a Governor is meant to do.

On our TV last night there was a big caffufle about singing the nursery rythme "Eeny meeny miny mo ,catch a "n" by the toe.
Didn't approve of that one so they changed it to catch a chigger by the toe.

Last time I looked chiggers are another name for scabbies

I just want to say that if anybody calls me a Redneck, I am going to be very offended. And for that I will demand the government give me all sorts of monetary benefits. Also let me stand in the middle of the aisle at the grocery store with my shopping buggy and all the rest of you will just have to wait until I get around to moving after I have fjnished my blue tooth cell phone conversation.

Otherwise get prepared for a law suit.

Ryder":1w7wqv7f said:
I just want to say that if anybody calls me a Redneck, I am going to be very offended. And for that I will demand the government give me all sorts of monetary benefits. Also let me stand in the middle of the aisle at the grocery store with my shopping buggy and all the rest of you will just have to wait until I get around to moving after I have fjnished my blue tooth cell phone conversation.

Otherwise get prepared for a law suit.

Redneck. ;-) Feel free to call me any name you like. Words can never harm me.

i work with developmentally disabled students and the only time I get upset anymore about "retard" is when it is used at one of the students. I think the word "retarded", meaning any stupid situation, is here to stay for a while. It makes the rounds from time to time. Even my sudents use it. Now, if I got into their faces and yelled it, that's abusive.

For the record, the most amusing of any of the many names I have been called during my illustrious career was "Long Haired Skinny B*tch". One of the clients called me that, and the name stuck. Only I cut my hair since then and I gained a much needed 10 pounds.

cattleluvr18":23hpuckm said:
in my english class we are reading 'to kill a monkingbird' . it has the 'N' word in it quite a few times. luckily everyone in my class understands its just a term used in the book. were not actually calling people the 'N' word.

Good for you, Kelly. :) You guys obviously know better and know that word to be offensive and hurtful.

To Kill a Mockingbird would have been a much better choice for the Dallas teacher if her intent was to show how racism and the use of that word was offensive and dangerous...especially in a class with 1 black kid in it.

When I was a kid I once called my brother that word, because I thought it was the worst word I could think of...even worse than the obvious cuss words. I didn't relate it to racism at the time, heck, I didn't even know or understand racism then. I just knew it was a word that meant something demeaning and hateful. My mother heard me...and I can still taste the soap in my mouth.

To this day, I cannot say that word, and I find that I've lived very well without incorporating it into my vocabulary.

BTW, I think it's offensive when black people refer to themselves as that, also. AND, just because they call each other that does not mean it's ok for them, anyone else to.

Just my 2 cents.

Alice

When we studied it in high school the teacher said up front that the "n" word was offensive to alot of people, but it was the way of speaking at the time and we should look at the story and writing style instead.

Was looking at some art work years ago that showed Indians and the guy standing next to me asked why I was looking at art with prairie "n's" in it. I tore a strip off him in the middle of that store in front of everyone. I had serveral friends that were Blackfeet. They would have not tolerated it nor would I.

I luv herfrds":1zscqlex said:
When we studied it in high school the teacher said up front that the "n" word was offensive to alot of people, but it was the way of speaking at the time and we should look at the story and writing style instead.

Was looking at some art work years ago that showed Indians and the guy standing next to me asked why I was looking at art with prairie "n's" in it.
  • I tore a strip off him in the middle of that store in front of everyone.
I had serveral friends that were Blackfeet. They would have not tolerated it nor would I.
now you talk'in i would have done the same.. my grandmother was half cherokee and raised me and my sister. when she took us too school the other kids would laugh ask us was she a n.....r she was dark as coal though.. a beautiful woman with a great heart and great faith never heard her say one curse word in the 27 years that i was blessed to have her

Topkick":19ge6trs said:
Wewild":19ge6trs said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":19ge6trs said:
Double standard,it's ok for them to call each other that but let a person of a differant race use that word and all be nice breaks loose.

I'd just say we just got to be bigger than that. You already used the "them" word. I quess their must be an "us" hovering somewhere around (you and some?).

So now the word them is offensive?
Maybe we should ban y'all, or is it ya'll? I get so confused about how to be politically correct. :? And I am trying so hard. :lol:

And we appreciate it, Ryder. Now, go take a nap before your head explodes. ;-)

Good for you, Kelly. :)

To Kill a Mockingbird would have been a much better choice for the Dallas teacher if her intent was to show how racism and the use of that word was offensive and dangerous...especially in a class with 1 black kid in it.

When I was a kid I once called my brother that word, because I thought it was the worst word I could think of...even worse than the obvious cuss words. I didn't relate it to racism at the time, heck, I didn't even know or understand racism then. I just knew it was a word that meant something demeaning and hateful. My mother heard me...and I can still taste the soap in my mouth.

Just my 2 cents.

Alice[/quote]

That's cause there weren't any black folks in Stephenville? That's what I always heard. I know that Comanche was awfully racist.

I think it's an awful word, too. I was never racist as a child, but then again I didn't know any black folks, so I don't know if that qualifies me or not. You know? I just never understood why one group called another mean names.

You are right, To Kill A Mockingbird would have been a better choice to show racism. Another good book that I have read several times. And an excellent movie, as well. Love Robert Duvall as Boo Radley.

There weren't any black folks in my school. There was one black kid in my whole high school, and he moved there when I was a senior. Other than Johnny Perkins, who went to school in Granbury in the 60's and 70's and ended up playing football for the Giants for a while.

Lammie":atwio35j said:
Wow! Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Need more bran?

Yeah, the teacher screwed up big time. Stupid move on her part. BUT, why oh why must we be on the news?

First you say the teacher said the word as it applied to the book.. Now you say she screwed up, and that the big problem is that it's on the news..

The reason it ended up on the news is because the people who produce news programs know stories like these get people's attention, and getting people's attention gets ratings, and high ratings makes it easier to sell commercials.

That's why it ended up on the news.

And did that kid really have any credibility? In his mirrored glasses. For goodness' sake, lose the shades when you want to world to feel sorry for you.

So that's why he has no credibility in your eyes? Because he wore mirrored sunglasses?

I got rear-ended the other day and the cop who responded wore mirrored sunglasses.. Should I have requested another officer?

If he wanted to get his teacher for something, make it racism. It was her remarks about the character, be nice Jim, that upset him. Call her a racist on the news. Does one racist teacher justify the banning of this American classic?

First of all, let's get something straight -- nobody is talking about banning anything. Removing something from a high school curriculum isn't the same thing as banning it.. If these kids want to read Huck Finn, all they have to do is bum a copy from the library or head over to Amazon..

Second of all, let's not pretend that this is the first time the book has caused a controversy in schools, nor that this kid is the only person in the world to have brought this up.. It's been thrown out of the curriculum in a lot of places.. As I recall, the first person to have a real problem with this book was Louisa May Alcott, right after it was published.

The book in question is, without debate, a must read if you are studying American literature from that time period. I took several courses in this subject in college, and I was assigned the book two times there and once in high school. Each time I read it, and I have read it several times since, I am able to relate to it in a different way. I recall being mildly offended once, but then I got away from one stupid word long enough to appciate the book itself.

If you "got away" from the word, you didn't appreciate the book. The fact that "Ni**er Jim" is the only decent person Huck comes across in all his adventures is the point Twain was trying to convey -- that humanity has no color.

It's ironic how so many people who so strongly believe they should be able to use such a word to describe people are the very ones coming to the book's defense these days.. Twain, I think, would be rather disgusted.

Should this teacher be punished? Sure. I believe that his or her intentions were good, but that she sacrificed common sense for the sake of making a point. What that point might be I have no clue.

Based on the original post, you sure didn't seem to indicate that you thought the teacher should be punished.. From that post, it would seem apparent that you thought she did absolutely nothing wrong.

Why the 180?

Horticattleman":bvkzucf4 said:
I was busy getting my a$$ shot at overseas to earn money so I could go to college and they are wasting it away.

Last I checked, about 25% of the US military is black. Given that they comprise far less than 25% of the general population, it would seem to me that they're actually more likely than whites to commit themselves to getting their a$$es shot at.

tytower":30pcxse1 said:
On our TV last night there was a big caffufle about singing the nursery rythme "Eeny meeny miny mo ,catch a "n" by the toe.
Didn't approve of that one so they changed it to catch a chigger by the toe.

Last time I looked chiggers are another name for scabbies

I remember that rhyme from when I was a kid, but it wasn't ni**er or chigger.. It was tiger.

I've heard it said with the n-word, but I always thought that to be the substitution -- not the other way around.

I am glad you have the time and opportunity to pick apart my posts point by point. You win. You get to be on the debate team.

I like the book. The book is a classic. I don't believe in banning books.

I think the news media are a bunch of sharks, too. Yell at me for that too, okay?

I am expressing my viewpoint just like you are.

I think you need a nap.

And yes, when you go to talk to the people on the TV news, show your freakin' eyes.

What happens people look like some stereotype? Is their message heard? Or are we too busy trying to figure out why he isn't showing us his eyes? Bad form.

I am not changing my position one bit. He has no right to try to ban that book from the library. Period. End of story. I don't care about the rest of it.

Now, ladies and gentleman, we may lock the thread. I'm taking a nap and going to the HEB.

Lammie":3jfs7tk7 said:
I am glad you have the time and opportunity to pick apart my posts point by point. You win. You get to be on the debate team.

At least I'm addressing your points instead of telling you that you get to be on the debate team.

Would you be in favor of having Madonna's book "Sex" in a high school curriculum -- complete with photos of Madonna's junk -- or would you "ban" that book?

Because, see, I think you'd probably just want it out of the curriculum -- not banned.

Which, incidentally, is exactly what happened to Huck Finn.

I think the news media are a bunch of sharks, too. Yell at me for that too, okay?

Agreed.

Not just like me.. I'm actually putting thought into what I write, before I write it. That way, I don't have to go changing things around when people illustrate how wrong I am.

I think you need a nap.

You mentioned that before.

And yes, when you go to talk to the people on the TV news, show your freakin' eyes.

What happens people look like some stereotype? Is their message heard? Or are we too busy trying to figure out why he isn't showing us his eyes? Bad form.

Why do you continue to demand that he remove his glasses for people who you, yourself, have deemed to be "sharks." Maybe he left his glasses on because he finds them just as disgusting as you seem to. Ever think of that?

I am not changing my position one bit. He has no right to try to ban that book from the library. Period. End of story. I don't care about the rest of it.

They're trying to have it removed from the curriculum. I never read a single thing about anybody trying to have it removed from any library.

Perhaps you can cite a source that says he's trying to get it banned from a library?

Now, ladies and gentleman, we may lock the thread. I'm taking a nap and going to the HEB.

I thought I needed the nap?

Topkick":2so5chn1 said:
Wewild":2so5chn1 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2so5chn1 said:
Double standard,it's ok for them to call each other that but let a person of a differant race use that word and all be nice breaks loose.

I'd just say we just got to be bigger than that. You already used the "them" word. I quess their must be an "us" hovering somewhere around (you and some?).

I never said that. Take it as you want.

There are problems with some people independent of their race, creed, national origin or religion.

I am not particulaly offended by the abuses hurled upon anyone by a dogmatist or from any person as I am not their judge but they will be judged.

Words used in the past that were used in that manner should be judged by the intent when used today and action taken by the person involved to the degree they deam acceptable considering the concequences of their actions.

Ryder":391li0a8 said:
Topkick":391li0a8 said:
Wewild":391li0a8 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":391li0a8 said:

Maybe we should ban y'all, or is it ya'll? I get so confused about how to be politically correct. :? And I am trying so hard. :lol:

hmmmm.

cmjust0":3r34nyde said:
Lammie":3r34nyde said:

At least I'm addressing your points instead of telling you that you get to be on the debate team.

Would you be in favor of having Madonna's book "Sex" in a high school curriculum -- complete with photos of Madonna's junk -- or would you "ban" that book?

Because, see, I think you'd probably just want it out of the curriculum -- not banned.

Which, incidentally, is exactly what happened to Huck Finn.

Agreed.

Not just like me.. I'm actually putting thought into what I write, before I write it. That way, I don't have to go changing things around when people illustrate how wrong I am.

I think you need a nap.

You mentioned that before.

Why do you continue to demand that he remove his glasses for people who you, yourself, have deemed to be "sharks." Maybe he left his glasses on because he finds them just as disgusting as you seem to. Ever think of that?

They're trying to have it removed from the curriculum. I never read a single thing about anybody trying to have it removed from any library.

Perhaps you can cite a source that says he's trying to get it banned from a library?

I thought I needed the nap?

yawn... You still here?

Now you are the one that is misinformed because there is a stong contingency of really stupid backward people that want the book removed from the school libraries in the Birdville school district. That has been in the news.

What part of "I don't believe in banning books" don't you understand? While I believe that Madonna is a serious skank, I do not believe in banning her stupid coffee table sex book. I trust that my son's school library does not have it and if it did, I guess my son would be looking at the pictures on the sly like every other 13 year old boy.

National Geographic has nekkid pictures in it, too. Want that banned?

I am so hung up on that kid's eyes because it bothers me. I can't be the only one. If that kid thinks the media is a bunch of sharks, then he didn't have to talk to them. I didn't see anyone holding a gun to his head. Of course, maybe someone was. In the black helicopters above. (Cue music from X Files...)

I'M SO DONE WITH THIS IT ISN'T EVEN FUNNY. :mad:

Let's agree to disagree. I have put away the groceries and now I want to watch a movie.

Night all.[/i]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts