Book bad, again. This sure does get old.

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lammie

Reaction score
Public school near Dallas, I think, kid got offieded by the teacher discussing Huckleberry Fin. Mother had a fit cause the teacher said the N word in class, as it relates to the book, and now some parents are wanting it off the library shelves. Kid that was offended is, you guessed it, black.

Oh, when does the stupidity end? Does no one relate that Mark Twain wrote the book when that term was acceptable? Besides, I bet when that kid gets together with his friends, he uses that word himself. Never ceases to amaze me.

The Nazi's banned books, too. Bet this little piece of history never crosses anyone's mind.

I have had to read that book several times in high school and college. I love it. What's more, it is a piece of CLASSIC LITURATURE and will be REQUIRED READING if this young man does go to college. (Which, BTW, judging from his grammar, won't be an option any time soon.)

Some people will do anything to get on TV. I am disgusted. :mad:

If he makes it to college, he best not study wildlife managment. Stoddard's book, "The Bob White Quail - It's Habits, Preservation and Increase" is required reading and Stoddard uses the word quite liberally throughout the book. Of course, 1931 was a different time and no offense was intended.

they got dog the bounty hunter in the hot seat for using the N word on a private phone call to his son..... i tell you i aint walking on eggshells with this bullsht

ALACOWMAN":2i31u9mh said:
they got dog the bounty hunter in the hot seat for using the N word on a private phone call to his son..... i tell you i aint walking on eggshells with this bullsht

I heard that on the radio this morning.

I saw the interview with this kid on TV last night. There he was being interviewed on the local news stations and he's wearing mirrored sun glasses. I don't know about you all, but that I can't trust someone like that. Reminds me of Jim Jones.

Lammie":2vdy2kox said:
Oh, when does the stupidity end?

Evidently it doesn't. Seems there's too much money in it for a few if they can keep a big enough contingent stirred up (read stirred up as ignorant). Remember a few years ago when there was such an outcry over some guy using the word niggardly. He used the word correctly but it sounded like it was a slur word and folks got all tore up over it?

I am amazed.

In the above post of mine I DID NOT write "be nice" as the word the guy used.

The word I wrote was a synonym for the word miserly, it happened to start with an N had 2 G's in the middle and ended with ardly.

Evidently the software for postings is unaware the word I wrote is a perfectly legitimate word and not a slur word. :roll:

CUZ":eehza595 said:
I am amazed.

In the above post of mine I DID NOT write "be nice" as the word the guy used.

The word I wrote was a synonym for the word miserly, it happened to start with an N had 2 G's in the middle and ended with ardly.

Evidently the software for postings is unaware the word I wrote is a perfectly legitimate word and not a slur word. :roll:

You pure crack me up!!! Thanks for my afternoon laugh!!!

The cyber police at work are terrible. If you say HonkyTonk, it gets confiscated. Swagelok manufactures a valve with a brand name. Don't use that brand name.

Lammie":kzlxqlgs said:
Public school near Dallas, I think, kid got offieded by the teacher discussing Huckleberry Fin. Mother had a fit cause the teacher said the N word in class, as it relates to the book, and now some parents are wanting it off the library shelves. Kid that was offended is, you guessed it, black.

When the kid -- the only black kid in the class -- asked her to shorten it to "the n-word" because he -- again, the only black kid in class -- didn't like seeing it on the chalkboard, she apparently responded by saying "Does it offend you? It hurts, doesn't it?"

Now, does that sound to you like she was using the word "as it relates to the book?"

To me, it doesn't. To me, it appears as though she was well aware of the hurtful nature of the word ("It hurts, doesn't it?"), and that she used him -- again, the only black kid in the class -- to illustrate, for the rest of the class, the impact that certain words can have on people.

So, what was everyone supposed to do? Say, "Hey, teacher's right! Look how angry that black kid is!"

If so, seems to me that she got the outcome she was looking for. If not, then what exactly was she doing?

Oh, when does the stupidity end? Does no one relate that Mark Twain wrote the book when that term was acceptable? Besides, I bet when that kid gets together with his friends, he uses that word himself. Never ceases to amaze me.

I bet you use that word when you're with your friends, too.

Since we're just pulling assumptions out of thin air, I mean..

The Nazi's banned books, too. Bet this little piece of history never crosses anyone's mind.

I have had to read that book several times in high school and college. I love it. What's more, it is a piece of CLASSIC LITURATURE and will be REQUIRED READING if this young man does go to college. (Which, BTW, judging from his grammar, won't be an option any time soon.)

Speaking of grammar, why did you write "Nazi's" in the possessive form? Shouldn't it have just been the plural "Nazis?"

So am I, but my disgust stems from the responses to this thread..

I mean, is it really "walking on eggshells" to refrain from using the n-word? I thought it was basic decency....

Tom Sawyer is a classic.

It should not be read in public schools.

Plain and simple thats what they choose to be called back then.

The n word was never acceptable to the African American community however when you are being beaten and suppressed you have to put up with whatever people want to call you at that time.

On the other hand I read the book in middle school and never used the n word.Nor do I now.

hillsdown":1mplpj64 said:
Tom Sawyer is a classic.

It should not be read in public schools.

Plain and simple thats what they choose to be called back then.

The n word was never acceptable to the African American community however when you are being beaten and suppressed you have to put up with whatever people want to call you at that time.

On the other hand I read the book in middle school and never used the n word.Nor do I now.

I never beat mine and I call them ******s just like they call each other. They/we use it as a term of endearment.

The ones who have been taught to resent it do. Others do not.

I don't get around the ones who do care. They would get mad if you called them Mr. ******. :roll:

cmjust0":3gxc50fi said:
Lammie":3gxc50fi said:

When the kid -- the only black kid in the class -- asked her to shorten it to "the n-word" because he -- again, the only black kid in class -- didn't like seeing it on the chalkboard, she apparently responded by saying "Does it offend you? It hurts, doesn't it?"

Now, does that sound to you like she was using the word "as it relates to the book?"

To me, it doesn't. To me, it appears as though she was well aware of the hurtful nature of the word ("It hurts, doesn't it?"), and that she used him -- again, the only black kid in the class -- to illustrate, for the rest of the class, the impact that certain words can have on people.

So, what was everyone supposed to do? Say, "Hey, teacher's right! Look how angry that black kid is!"

If so, seems to me that she got the outcome she was looking for. If not, then what exactly was she doing?

I bet you use that word when you're with your friends, too.

Since we're just pulling assumptions out of thin air, I mean..

Speaking of grammar, why did you write "Nazi's" in the possessive form? Shouldn't it have just been the plural "Nazis?"

So am I, but my disgust stems from the responses to this thread..

I mean, is it really "walking on eggshells" to refrain from using the n-word? I thought it was basic decency....

Wow! Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Need more bran?

Yeah, the teacher screwed up big time. Stupid move on her part. BUT, why oh why must we be on the news?

And did that kid really have any credibility? In his mirrored glasses. For goodness' sake, lose the shades when you want to world to feel sorry for you.

If he wanted to get his teacher for something, make it racism. It was her remarks about the character, ****** Jim, that upset him. Call her a racist on the news. Does one racist teacher justify the banning of this American classic?

The book in question is, without debate, a must read if you are studying American literature from that time period. I took several courses in this subject in college, and I was assigned the book two times there and once in high school. Each time I read it, and I have read it several times since, I am able to relate to it in a different way. I recall being mildly offended once, but then I got away from one stupid word long enough to appciate the book itself.

Should this teacher be punished? Sure. I believe that his or her intentions were good, but that she sacrificed common sense for the sake of making a point. What that point might be I have no clue.

That, correct or not, is my point of view on this subject. And I hope my grammar has not offended anyone.

in my english class we are reading 'to kill a monkingbird' . it has the 'N' word in it quite a few times. luckily everyone in my class understands its just a term used in the book. were not actually calling people the 'N' word.

I've even been told "Little Black Sambo" has been banned. Heck, we loved those books when we were Kids.

I'm waiting for Rosie and Ellen to sue, because there's a movie called "The Lion King" and no "Lion Queen"

I dont understand why people get upset over names, I could care less if I was called a Whitey, Honky, Cracker, etc.

And now, Back to our man on the mean streets of Montgomery, MikeC.

The "n" word by it's own definition was once used to describe and demean a people.

It has no place here today; although, one can learn from past history and writings.

There will be different opinions about most thing amongst most folks till we are called to our reward (good or bad).

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":y7w4jdt2 said:
Double standard,it's ok for them to call each other that but let a person of a differant race use that word and all be nice breaks loose.

I'd just say we just got to be bigger than that. You already used the "them" word. I quess their must be an "us" hovering somewhere around (you and some?).

I could write a book about my opinions on the "N" word. But to sum it up as quickly as possible there is no other word in the english language that has been hi-jacked by a group of people for the purposes of politics and political correctness. Certain folks have claimed this word as their own and say they are the only ones allowed to utter the word (I mean certain folks, not all black folks). Has this ever happened and can you think of another word that is treated the same way? Do you think other racial slurs carry the same weight? I'm half Japanese and have those facial features. I choose not to be offended by racial slurs such as Jap, chink and rice burner. I don't care as long as they are not directed at me personally. You probably understand this if you are white and have heard honkey and cracker uddered by a non-white. I wonder if all racial slurs will be replaced by "be nice" on this message board? Lets see: wetback, towelhead, trailer trash, white trash, hillbilly, saltwater wetback, gook. I guess all other racial slurs are ok here except ******. Lets reverse gears. What if your not very bright and you know it. Would you be offended when someone said "stupid". Would you take a derogatory word and claim it as your own. Would you start saying "I'm offended" when someone says "stupid". "You can't say stupid around me because it offends me.... Because" Fill in the blank. According to the PC crowd we are not supposed to say "retard" because it is insesitive to the mentally retarded. Do you see were I'm going with this. We can't say the "n" word because.... I give everyone I meet an even shake. I don't care what color you are. If you are someone that acts like I should feel sorry for you because you are a different color or different religion or american indian, well I don't have time for someone that thinks they are owed something because their grandpappy or great grandpappy was wronged. For those of you that are Americans, Lets be happy that we are citizens of the best country in the world. We shouldn't have a crutch while we carry the torch.

Walt

I just saw in the local news paper that "a new study finds" that not enough black people are graduating college at our local University, so they want to change programs around and everything to get more black people to graduate. Let me tell you, I was at that University for 5 years and I saw firsthand how a huge majority of them would just congregate and could care less about school. After the first 2 semesters the regulars would disappear. They would get put on probation after 1 sem. and kicked out after the second. Meanwhile Free school and free meals for a year on my nickel! I was busy getting my a$$ shot at overseas to earn money so I could go to college and they are wasting it away. And NOW they want to give out degrees! Unbelievable I tell you.

Wewild":1s6wl0ny said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1s6wl0ny said:
Double standard,it's ok for them to call each other that but let a person of a differant race use that word and all be nice breaks loose.

I'd just say we just got to be bigger than that. You already used the "them" word. I quess their must be an "us" hovering somewhere around (you and some?).
Yup there is an "us" hovering around somewhere,but Jessie and Al are content to make it "us" and "them" ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts