Blessings Box

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Has anyone seen them?

There is one on the driveway into the Maysville YMCA. I saw a young man and woman stocking it today. About the size of two large kitchen cabinets fastened to a wall along the drive. Looked like food, drinks, small necessities, etc. The boxes are unlocked. Anyone can open them and help themselves. I ask a couple guys I know at the Y if they knew who sponsors them. They didn't.

I don't know if this is a national movement or a local organization.

Bright Raven":3k8h6k6e said:
Has anyone seen them?

There is one on the driveway into the Maysville YMCA. I saw a young man and woman stocking it today. About the size of two large kitchen cabinets fastened to a wall along the drive. Looked like food, drinks, small necessities, etc. The boxes are unlocked. Anyone can open them and help themselves. I ask a couple guys I know at the Y if they knew who sponsors them. They didn't.

I haven't heard of that particular thing here, it may be local. If it is a local organization, word may get around and other organizations do something similar in other places.

Ky hills":1n8zasks said:
Bright Raven":1n8zasks said:
Has anyone seen them?

I haven't heard of that particular thing here, it may be local. If it is a local organization, word may get around and other organizations do something similar in other places.

It is nice to know that someone has a heart.

Ky hills":1pza0hg1 said:
Bright Raven":1pza0hg1 said:
Has anyone seen them?

I've seen a few of these types of thioings, in various areas/parts of Va. The ones here are put up & filled by helpful citizens and not by any particular organizations.

Bright Raven":3vjx2kjc said:
Ky hills":3vjx2kjc said:
Bright Raven":3vjx2kjc said:
Has anyone seen them?

It is nice to know that someone has a heart.

Yes, it is. The need is real regardless of how individuals find themselves in the circumstances to need that kind of help. There is a growing homeless population in this area. There have been homeless shelters set up which rely on donations and volunteers. During the Thanksgiving holiday there is a program called Operation Happiness in which food baskets and clothing items are handed out to I believe well over 1000 people here in the county.

There are a few around here with food staples and a couple for books. Not affiliated with any organization, just generous citizens - more of a neighborhood/slice of the community thing.

Bright Raven":1tyjcgnb said:
Has anyone seen them?

I've seen some down here. I think individuals put them out. Also have quite a few of the "Little Free Library" locations. https://littlefreelibrary.org/

I've never seen one here. If there were any, the meth heads probably stole the whole cabinets to sell and traded the food for dope.

We have one in the city I work in. It's at the police station. Last year I got my clinic to do a month and we over flowed the thing. It's a very cool concept.

they have kitchens that'll feed 3 meals a day here for free.. also several food banks and other things that give these people all the free food they need.. on top of the welfare of 800+/m that they trade for drugs and cigs.

greybeard":1suffgj9 said:
I've never seen one here. If there were any, the meth heads probably stole the whole cabinets to sell and traded the food for dope.
Sadly, that was my first thought too.

We have food pantries around here. Similar concept but much larger, usually in a storefront and manned (volunteer) to limit abuse. My wife and kids helped stock the shelves at our local pantry once a week when the kids were younger.

ddd75":bglupvn9 said:
they have kitchens that'll feed 3 meals a day here for free.. also several food banks and other things that give these people all the free food they need.. on top of the welfare of 800+/m that they trade for drugs and cigs.

Yes, everyone is bad. Everyone is out to get your money for free. The world is full of losers. Thankfully, you've ridden the turd to the top of the punch bowl. How do you make it through your day being so awesome and everyone else so bad?

Bestoutwest":2poqosyy said:
ddd75":2poqosyy said:

Yes, everyone is bad. Everyone is out to get your money for free. The world is full of losers. Thankfully, you've ridden the turd to the top of the punch bowl. How do you make it through your day being so awesome and everyone else so bad?
Have you ever delivered Thanksgiving, Christmas meals, care packages and toys to the ghetto? I have and still do, there's kids running around with very little for clothes and shoes, while some adults are sitting around smoking dope of all kinds. The thing that has surprised me the most is I've never had a single problem. We can do more good for the kids by feeding them at the schools and civic centers. I think the school cafeteria should be open year round to feed the kids, disabled and elderly. Give all kids a chance, once they become adults screw them if they won't work.

True Grit Farms":1tn4voze said:
Have you ever delivered Thanksgiving, Christmas meals, care packages and toys to the ghetto? I have and still do, there's kids running around with very little for clothes and shoes, while some adults are sitting around smoking dope of all kinds. The thing that has surprised me the most is I've never had a single problem. We can do more good for the kids by feeding them at the schools and civic centers. I think the school cafeteria should be open year round to feed the kids, disabled and elderly. Give all kids a chance, once they become adults screw them if they won't work.

I have not done those things. However, I work in one of the poorest communities in the state, and live in one of the poorer counties. I have also taught in a very impoverished area. We see it all here, but not like what the ER does. More than drugged out parents, it's the parents dressed to the nines while their kids are in sweatpants that really gets me going. The Parks and Rec program here does do free lunches all summer. We have several food banks in the "big city" and I believe there are one in almost every town surrounding it. I'm lucky that I have not had to utilize those places. I don't believe all people are lazy, though, or on dope, thieves, welfare scum, cheating the system, etc. A lot of poor folks are there b/c of disability, or other reasons that may not be visible to the casual observer. Unfortunately, life is not black and white, that would be too easy.

True Grit Farms":3p9zronq said:
Bestoutwest":3p9zronq said:
ddd75":3p9zronq said:

Here they offer breakfast as well as lunches during school times and then there are certain schools and stations set up to feed during the time that school isn't in session in the summer. I agree that the children are the best generations to "break the cycle", however through working with church mission groups I have seen a lot of heartbreaking situations. There needs to be some kind of education of personal responsibility and accountability for children to learn along with the traditional subjects. Children who are born into these generational circumstances often have no glimpse of any other lifestyles, and it's hard to change a way of life without support of family and friends. Often families are not supportive because it shines a light on their life choices as well. I know many adults my age and younger who really struggle with addictions and tragedies associated with their life choices. Many of them are parents and the cycle continues.

Ky hills":17tn94jz said:
True Grit Farms":17tn94jz said:
Bestoutwest":17tn94jz said:

Here they offer breakfast as well as lunches during school times and then there are certain schools and stations set up to feed during the time that school isn't in session in the summer. I agree that the children are the best generations to "break the cycle", however through working with church mission groups I have seen a lot of heartbreaking situations. There needs to be some kind of education of personal responsibility and accountability for children to learn along with the traditional subjects. Children who are born into these generational circumstances often have no glimpse of any other lifestyles, and it's hard to change a way of life without support of family and friends. Often families are not supportive because it shines a light on their life choices as well. I know many adults my age and younger who really struggle with addictions and tragedies associated with their life choices. Many of them are parents and the cycle continues.

Amen! You described it so well, the cycle I see in our state.

The ones that I hear complaining (I don't mean on the forum, but our fellow Kentuckians) obviously see the cycle. Complaining is not going to fix it. I suspect there are some that rise above it but most never do.

I hate to say this but these people are certainly not blessed with native intelligence. The children do horrible in school. Some of these people barely have communication skills. Drugs, alcohol, tobacco use and Obesity are major problems.

Might be time to set up some light manufacturing in the area mentioned. Sewing rooms like we had in the fifties and the sixtys. I would think that a lot of women would work there they could be taught to sew silk ties as one example. The manufacturing could be subsidized. Have day care there by the sewing room. Might instill in the young ones that mom works and I want to work like mom.

Latest posts