Mail box got taken out last night (Update).....

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
The sheriffs office said dozens had gotten damaged during the night. I wish I could have caught the POSs.

im18x.jpg

There is a street near my moms that has just a lil curve to it....the tipsy folks just can't handle it! They mow em down as fast as they fix em. Some of the rock boxes are getting big and solid. I'm sure they do alot of damage to the cars too!

I have a twelve foot long / 6 inch diameter / solid steel bar driven all the way into the ground with only enough for the mailbox to sit on. I needed three guys to hold it up while we pounded it in with the bucket of the tracked excavator.

I have a 1/4 inch solid steel box with a solid steel door that has to be opened to put the mail in. The door is balanced to close naturally and also allow it to open easily by the delivery guy.

It is bolted and welded to the solid steel bar.

I have it nicely painted.

There have been wooden bats found in the vicinity of the box from time to time - did not even chip the paint - I would have loved to seen their expressions as they drove by and hit it.

I catch anyone doing this I promise I will use the same bat on their vehicle - to heck with the consequences.

In the meantime I built one that is virtually indestructible - looks good and conforms to all postal requirements.

It even has a solid steel flag mounted on the side of the box painted silver so it is easy to see from the house if I use the binoculars to look at the mail box.

Beat the pricks at their own game - never surrender

Bez

kenny thomas":37n0blk8 said:
Maybe they were looking at the women in the home made pool you posted a couple days ago. :tiphat:
That pool was pretty neat. I think the next time I here my wife mention a pool I will show her that one and it will probably be the last time I hear it.

Update, The deputy came by and said they had caught who done it. He said it was 5 people in a white Dodge Ram Diesel truck with a heavy Duty built bumper on it. I told him I wanted to file charges and paid for my damage if they had to work it out on a chain gang.

They had taken bout every mail box out in a ten mile strip plus several 911 posts and done lots of other damage. I hope they get plenty jail time and the deputy laughed and said the 911 signs taken out would guarantee that as the Commonwealth Attorney will be all over them.

jltrent":449gc76b said:
Update, The deputy came by and said they had caught who done it. He said it was 5 people in a white Dodge Ram Diesel truck with a heavy Duty built bumper on it. I told him I wanted to file charges and paid for my damage if they had to work it out on a chain gang.

They had taken bout every mail box out in a ten mile strip plus several 911 posts and done lots of other damage. I hope they get plenty jail time and the deputy laughed and said the 911 signs taken out would guarantee that as the Commonwealth Attorney will be all over them.
Send me a PM who it was.

kenny thomas":2rc8wsye said:
jltrent":2rc8wsye said:

Send me a PM who it was.
Done

We've had similar trouble here with mail box destruction. I took a piece of 1" iron pipe about three feet long and welded a spring on one end. (Like the spring used in one of those metal signs the flopped in the wind advertising cigarettes.) The spring is about 10" long and it's set so it's bottom is about 6" above grade. Then another piece of 1" pipe is welded to the top and it comes up to official height with a flange screwed on with a 2x6 for the mail box to set on.

I figure if they hit it with a bat it may spring back and damage their vehicle. If the drive over it maybe it will damage their oil pan. I don't know.....they haven't damaged it yet, and it's been a few years!

It wasn't me! (white dodge diesel is what i have)

I'd have done what Bez did... build a SOB or a mailbox and set it in concrete... use 4" drill stem for the post (filled with concrete of course too)..... I think I'd start looking forward to people trying to take it out!

Have any of you guys checked the law as far as liability for placing these immovable objects on the road ROW.

back a few years ago when I had lost another mailbox.....

I went to the post office to pick up mail and told the guy I was going to build a fortress mail box.....

he cautioned me against it....

said that if anyone was to accidentally hit it I could be liable.....

instead....I moved my mail box back off the road and gravelled so the mail carrier could get to it easily....she sometimes sits there and sorts mail for deliveries down the road....

some problems around here too. seems like around high school graduation time there is a increase in this stupid activity . kids drinking and acting like fools. let your post office know. they may get postal inspection service involved.

my mail box is on my property inside of the right away and it conforms to the law in Florida. the post is3" or 4" steel and it at the required depth of 24". I also have a huge rock planted in front of it with mulch and flower bed. between the rock and mail box I have a nice crepe myrtle that I keep trimmed to not get higher than the steel post . they can run over it if they want but I will be able to trail them by the leak in their oil pan if the rock does not flip them over.

M5farm":2hg62poo said:
my mail box is on my property inside of the right away and it conforms to the law in Florida. the post is3" or 4" steel and it at the required depth of 24". I also have a huge rock planted in front of it with mulch and flower bed. between the rock and mail box I have a nice crepe myrtle that I keep trimmed to not get higher than the steel post . they can run over it if they want but I will be able to trail them by the leak in their oil pan if the rock does not flip them over.

I set mine back on the property like PDF out of drillstem.
Found the game camera to be the best deterrent works wonders when you
hand the Sheriff pics of the vehicle with plate numbers.

Piece of 8'inch pipe with a ring joint flange on the front welded into a 4" piece of pipe set in concrete 6 foot deep...... It has stopped cars and bats and pieces of pipe over the years, after 30 years now they dont even try anymore!

Latest posts