Bleach for scours

Help Support CattleToday:

I know you've resurrected a 17 yr old post, but, please. Just NO.
Don't give 'bleach'(sodium hypochlorite solution) orally (or IV) to a scouring calf. It's not going to 'kill' the 'bad bugs'... fortunately for the calf, the organic material (brown sugar and egg) in that concoction will likely tie-up and inactivate some of the bleach before it was poured into the calf. The 'modes of action' of some of those ingredients, as put forward by 'old-timers', who knew virtually nothing about science or physiology are so far off as to be almost laughable.

Commercially-prepared oral electrolyte solutions have been formulated precisely to meet the needs of scouring calves - with regard to replacing lost electrolytes, energy and protein, but in a pinch, I've made my own, following the forumula in the blurb below:

"In an emergency, you can make your own oral rehydration solution, using a formula consisting of 1 teaspoon low sodium salt, 2 teaspoons baking soda, one packet of fruit pectin and one can of beef consomme added to 2 quarts of water. This should be fed at a rate of 1 pint for every 10 pounds of the calf's body weight, three to four times daily. With commercial or homemade oral rehydration formulas, it's better to give the calf too much rather than too little."
Thank you for that response. I saw this thread this morning and didn't have time to type more than "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO!". You were more tactful than I would have been.

It's human nature to want to believe that if an animal gets better, our treatment "worked". Just because you can put a tablespoon of bleach in a calf without killing it doesn't mean the calf was better off because of it. Homemade electrolytes are fine in a pinch, but the best commercial electrolytes will beat anything that someone can make in their kitchen.

I have put bleach in a water trough to kill bacteria there but not as a treatment plan.
Me too...in Texas standing water in trough will turn green in summer...a little bit of chlorine bleach will make it into nice fresh crystal clear pool water in about 4 to 6 hours. About 1/4 to 1/2 cup for 200 gallons....as needed to kill the "green". The chlorine evaporates rather quickly in hot weather...so there's no risk of over-chlorinating if you wait until you see green.

I am not going to mix up a bleach solution and give to my calves. But, be aware that chicken houses have water lines/drinkers with nipple nozzles for the chickens to push sideways and water droplets come out. These water lines will build up slime and bacteria inside. Chicken houses are built with a proportioning medicator that will suck up chemicals out of a bucket and mix with the water in a precise ratio based on a volumetric measurement of the water flow. Chemicals that might be in the bucket include citric acid, copper sulfate and maybe sodium hypochlorite (bleach). For slime control and/or for gut ph control. Design of the proportioning medicator is such that the concentration will go lower on a failure, never higher. Too much of anything can be bad, but a little bit of poison might be beneficial in some cases in a controlled environment.

Should probably specify slaked lime. Regular ag lime will make nutrients more available to algae just like it does with grass, making the problem worse.

Me too...in Texas standing water in trough will turn green in summer...a little bit of chlorine bleach will make it into nice fresh crystal clear pool water in about 4 to 6 hours. About 1/4 to 1/2 cup for 200 gallons....as needed to kill the "green". The chlorine evaporates rather quickly in hot weather...so there's no risk of over-chlorinating if you wait until you see green.
I put goldfish in my stock tanks. They keep the algae down and eat all the mosquito larvae. I don't feed them at all. In Arkansas they would live through the winter in the tanks... but in South Dakota they had a shorter life cycle.

I put goldfish in my stock tanks. They keep the algae down and eat all the mosquito larvae. I don't feed them at all. In Arkansas they would live through the winter in the tanks... but in South Dakota they had a shorter life cycle.
We tried goldfish but they kept dying or disappearing. And then the only place that sold them around here went out of business. I believe it was Dun that posted years ago, who kept catching the dang raccoons eating all his goldfish.

We tried goldfish but they kept dying or disappearing. And then the only place that sold them around here went out of business. I believe it was Dun that posted years ago, who kept catching the dang raccoons eating all his goldfish.
Feeders are a dime apiece. And you can put a flat piece of wood in the tank for them to hide under and once the coon moves the wood they dive for the bottom. But yeah, the filthy animals will get them sometimes.

What about Stock Tank Secret: barley straw treatment for livestock water tanks?? I have not tried it yet.
Barley straw will prohibit algae growth, but it will not kill existing algae. If the water is cold, it may take several weeks for it to release enough of its chemicals to be beneficial, so if you use it, get it in the water plenty early before algae have a chance to grow.

Never thought of that...two goldfish per tank would be all you need...same sex just so they have company without expanding.

I am going to show my ignorance, but I am unfamiliar with the term Probios. Can someone explain, please----thanks
It is a probiotic that comes in the form of paste, granular, or powder. "Probios" is the name brand but there are lots of other generic brands that work just as good. But Probios has lots of good gut bacterial. You can get it at any of your local feed stores. No worries at all for asking about it, I'm glad you asked.

I don't have time to clean tanks weekly.
I tried goldfish but they kept dying.
Now that I rotate pastures, I drain the tanks the day I move the cattle out and refill the day I move them in so each tank stays empty most of the month. No algae, no slime.

Should probably specify slaked lime. Regular ag lime will make nutrients more available to algae just like it does with grass, making the problem worse.
I disagree, I have used ag lime for over 40 years and it has always done a great job keeping my tanks free of algae and disease.

I disagree, I have used ag lime for over 40 years and it has always done a great job keeping my tanks free of algae and disease.
It's probably the weekly cleaning that's keeping the algae away. All the lime can do is raise the pH of the water. It doesn't kill or disinfect in any way.

It's probably the weekly cleaning that's keeping the algae away. All the lime can do is raise the pH of the water. It doesn't kill or disinfect in any way.
Well I guess you know everything right!!!!

I just got done cleaning the fish poop out of the stock tank, no alae. I have had 2 minnows in the tank for two years and they were still alive today. I clean the tank in the spring and in the fall. I also have the tank heated all winter.

We put feeder goldfish in all the water tanks. 4-6 per 200-300 gal tanks... The herons here will get them sometimes... and some of them reproduce... have had a couple places where there were a BUNCH of little ones. Sometimes I will take them out for the winter, if I remember... some have survived the winter and were there next year. Most of these are existing tanks that are spring or well fed, so continuing running water. I don't often have them in tanks that do not have "in and out" water flow as they often get too hot in the summer.
The clorox in the scours formula I cannot comment on... but let's face it, all "city" water has chlorine in it and some places it is a noticeable smell/taste... but I can taste it because I drink well water and just can pick up on it. If it didn't kill bacteria and stuff, they would not use it in drinking water.

Latest posts