Black Like Me

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown":1kl8v4f9 said:
Jogeephus":1kl8v4f9 said:
Eldest son has moved up north and he said he has never seen such racism in all his life. I found this ironic being we southerners are supposed to be such backward people but I guess if you are like me and you grow up with black kids, play with them, hunt with them, fish with them, fight beside them then you just see them as people with some becoming good friends. True, there are some I do not like, some I despise but this has nothing to do with color only character. I blame this on the demise of the traditional family where the welfare program discourages marriage and the traditional family and those who think blacks are unequal and require extra help on tests and preferential treatment in job placement and other aspects of life. Equality is just that. Equal.

One of our best friends is black, she is not African black though. She is a very well educated Singaporean who is very dark skinned and, she will not travel in the US because she is scared of being "profiled" and for her safety.

I do not see color that way either, equality is equality and some of these new reality shows are making people think that there are a lot more of "white jigaboos" than any other race. Nothing to be proud of there :roll:

Not trying to add fuel here, but REALLY????? Profiled???? That is some liberal hyperbole right there, EH!

inyati13":2wmtkped said:
M5farm":2wmtkped said:
I come from a very racist part of the world. This county was a plantation mecca. I grew up very prejudiced because of history of previous generations. I had and have black friends that I will sit at their kitchen table and them at mine and race never enter the conversation. But in all races there are degenerates and I have a very vocal opinion on that subject. In today's society the only racism is in the mind of those that accept it. I have spoken with numerous black individuals that have told me that the challenges they faced were no more difficult than my own. The only thing that is keeping the race issue at the forefront are the blacks that are too sorry to do anything different about their situation.
And the government still telling them They are not worthy. Call me what you want but I don't discriminate when telling someone the are a sorry no good piece of crap when they say someone owes them something.

Hey, don't ever think racism did not reach KY. One of the jokes here before Tubby Smith became the UK basketball coach was that there would be a Martian in the White House before there was a "black" coach at UK. But the phase was worded a little stronger than that. Unless Bill Clinton was a Martian, it did not turn out that way. Let me add that Tubby Smith was a class act!

Well, some also said we would have a President of color "WHEN PIGS FLY". What did we experience .................?
Swine Flu.

fitz

highgrit":1gkb3dir said:
To me we have two different kinds of colored people, good one's and others. But it's the same for white folks also. City blacks are hard for me to deal with. But the country blacks are OK by me. I have a bunch that are my friends and I enjoy being with them.
I usually do not get along with city folk well, no matter what the color. I have found I even get along with (gasp) Yankees if they are country folk.

We're talking about sensitivity to race. Then folks come on and are upset because something was said to a women, lady, female that was inappropriate.

If we're dealing with humans and being fair and sensible what difference does it make if a person is a male or female? Aren't we saying people are people and should all be treated the same?

inyati13":1qf5riaj said:
I later met blacks at college and I always wondered how they were suppose to behave. Some seemed to feel the need to patronize, others seemed to feel the need to show you they didn't owe you any patronage; maybe even be a little arrogant just to demonstrate they were equal. It must have been confusing for blacks in the 60s and 70s. They didn't know whether they should kick your azz or kiss it.

So have you figured it out yet? How are blacks supposed to behave? Maybe they need your help in knowing how to behave. Enlighten us please !

As a result, I felt a measure of discomfort when I talked to a black person.
I bet you did !!

I met a black woman there and we became close.
Lucky girl !

I had finally graduated to a level where I was at ease with a black person. But I still got the feeling that they didn't know how they were suppose to act. Sometimes in a conversation, they would cast their eyes down and not maintain good eye contact. Or they would seem nervous with certain subjects.

You should have told them how to act !!

I guess I will never know what a black person feels like when they interact with a white person and what it may be like to be uncomfortable because of the color of my skin.

Skin color isn't your major problem.

inyati13":202o17qq said:
Nesikep":202o17qq said:
Ron, you absolutely floored me with your attack on Hillsdown, I didn't see it coming and it certainly isn't called for... We get along pretty well most of the time but you've dug yourself some mighty deep holes by starting off with good intentions on touchy subjects that are just bound to be emotional for some people.

Your comment appears sincere. You have the right to feel or characterize this however you do. If the administrators find that this thread should be locked, deleted, or I should be banned, then that is what they will do. We have plowed this ground before. I have no control over what users post. Might have gone in a different direction if Hillsdown had formulated her first comment as a question asking for explanation rather that a negative critique veiled in a riddle.
no you don't Ron but in you most certainly have control over your own responses. In this case you went way overboard and a simply apology seems so inadequate.

All of us in the South were raised with blacks but most had very little interaction with them. They "knew their place" as the old timers would say. I never even went to school with one until college and even then there were very few. My first job was ME and 13 black men and my dad was the superintendent on the job. He loved those guys "on the job". When they came to our house to pick up their check they had to come to the back door and act like "slaves" begging for a handout. Yet they loved him like a brother. (outwardly anyway). Hard to know how someone truly feels about other people because what we see is not always how they truly feel. Only what it takes to get what they want.

Folks - Burn me at the stake; but I cannot fix stupid. But I can rewrite that first message in perhaps terms that some of you can properly interpret. Go ahead and start your criticism but know that I have plenty of PMs of those who understood the first post. In fact, one of them put me onto the phase "cannot fix stupid". So I used it. Here is perhaps a better explanation. But I don't have high hopes for some of you.

Black Like Me was a book written in the 1960s. It is a non-fiction book about the documented experiences of a white man who colored his skin black via a dermatological process and the use of UV light. This permitted him to appear to be a colored man. He then traveled through the southern states to experience what it was like to be a black man. For more details, Google "Black Like Me".

The statement that a black person does not know how to behave, act or relate to a white person is being misinterpreted. It is not a criticism of the black person, it is a sympathetic compassionate statement about how racism effects the emotions of a black person. A black person in the 60s and 70s was expected to patronize or in other words act below the level of a white person. That is where the term, "Knowing your Place" comes from. Imagine the injustice of being a black person and being expected to behave in a manner that pleases a white person . Again, this is not intended to criticize a black person as if they are incapable of knowing how to act. It is a criticism of the 60s and 70s era racism when white people expected a colored person to behave in a manner they expected. They were expected to be subservient to whites.

The dialog in the first message was intended to express sympathy and compassion for black people because they had to "act" rather than being who they are. The writer who wrote "Black Like Me" documented cases where he was disciplined because he did not act "the way a black ought to act."

I summed that up in my statement that "I will never know what it is like to be a black man" who has to put on an act to please a white person. It is an expression of sympathy and compassion, not criticism of the black person.

Racism is everywhere, and it is not just one color being judged. Still remember taking a youth church trip down south to a Missionfuge camp. We were in a black community helping fix up this lady's house, she was really nice and I enjoyed playing with her son while there. Now the neighbors on the other hand were just disgusted we were in their neighbor hood, looks and stares we received there really could make you hair on your back stand up. The camp leader went next door to ask the neighbor if there were anything we could do for her before we left, it being our final day there. Put it this way he was sent packing with a plenty of choice words sent his way that I will not repeat. I was just glad to get out of there. Another thing I have noticed is some black people will always think that they are being judged or mistreated because of there skin color, I think they are just using it to benefit themselves with hand outs etc... Me myself I like black folk just as well as white folks and have played sports, worked in the fields, and have done many things together with each other. I'm proud to call several black folks my friends and don't mind if somebody has a problem with it. Now there are things some of them do I can't stand like listening to Rap music, forgetting that their pants are suppose to be on their butt, thinking they are the only ones that can play basketball etc... At the same time their are white's that do that as well, so that is just how some people are. Now I probably wouldn't ever marry a black lady, not because I'm racist just because God made me white I think for a reason. People need to remember slavery, civil war, rebels, Yankee's, the 1960's and 70's are over and try and treat each other how they would like to be treated and that is fairly.
Ron, I would have thought you would have been busy with the cows or doing something else than thinking on this topic. You did pick on hillsdown harshly and I would of tried a bit harder to have been a bit nicer getting my point across.
P.S. If you are running out of things to do you can come help me, a drive West might do you a little good :lol: .

In my view, this is not an argument to choose sides with. It was/is a misunderstanding. Communication is difficult via text alone. I read the OP's first post and my brain concluded an emotion of wonderment and compassion, seasoned with a bit of confusion, about the lives of black folks in that era. I thought it was well written and thought provoking in a positive way. As for over reacting/bashing, I see the score even albeit on the surface it appears some take sides due to gender and not race.

inyati13":g6q6fxey said:
Folks - Burn me at the stake; but I cannot fix stupid.
Your entire point was that you can't possibly understand what a black person goes through. Her entire point was that you can't possibly understand what a black person goes through... Your communication was not clear enough for a person of average/above average intelligence (in this case hd) to understand but she made herself perfectly clear.
She had the same idea as you but she stated it more clearly than you did and yet YOU call HER stupid.
You're right... You can't be fixed...

cow pollinater":13bbk4l6 said:
inyati13":13bbk4l6 said:
Your entire point was that you can't possibly understand what a black person goes through. Her entire point was that you can't possibly understand what a black person goes through... Your communication was not clear enough for a person of average/above average intelligence (in this case hd) to understand but she made herself perfectly clear.
She had the same idea as you but she stated it more clearly than you did and yet YOU call HER stupid.

While you are now talking to me. :D

I have a heifer that I tried to breed twice in the past 26 days. To save my life, I cannot get the gun started into her cervix. I almost think it is grown over. Is that possible?

Bigfoot":2q3av5es said:
When I was really small, I thought clowns were a race of people.

You remember, don't you. When I applied for membership in Cattle Today, the only opening they had at the time was CLOWN. I wanted to be the Lion Tamer but Bez had that job so all I could do was take the clown job. I love it actually.

inyati13":2j6bs57k said:
cow pollinater":2j6bs57k said:
inyati13":2j6bs57k said:

While you are now talking to me. :D

I have a heifer that I tried to breed twice in the past 26 days. To save my life, I cannot get the gun started into her cervix. I almost think it is grown over. Is that possible?
I steered clear until you started going off on people that didn't deserve it again. As for your cattle, you seem to be convinced that you're smarter than the rest of us so you figure it out. :mrgreen:

Latest posts