Black Like Me

Help Support CattleToday:

Easy y'all let's have a discussion and not a cussing. I grew up with a black maid and a black farm hand as my keepers. Back then they were colored people. I played lots of sports growing up, mostly team sports so I learned to get along and respect black folks. Racism is never going away it's that simple. To me we have two different kinds of colored people, good one's and others. But it's the same for white folks also. City blacks are hard for me to deal with. But the country blacks are OK by me. I have a bunch that are my friends and I enjoy being with them.

I was never around many blacks.. One that stands out in my memory was a nice guy, but a far worse driver than any asian I've ever seen. We have lots of Indians around here of course, some are dumb arseholes, and others are very friendly and hard working. In town I work for a Fijian fellow who's really good to me and hilarious to be around.

I do have some small racist tendencies.. Stereotypes exist because they are often true. That said, I give anyone a chance to be nice and friendly and will take it from there.

hillsdown":141wkie2 said:
inyati13":141wkie2 said:
Hillsdown,

You ask me to read it. Would you Please read it. Then post on the forum the specific points that you find inappropriate, offensive, etc. Please take into consideration the entire context of the message. It is about what a black person must feel as a result of the racism in the southern states including Kentucky during the 1960s and 1970s.

You are a white, very white person trying to tell us how a black person feels and do not see an issue with that. I do respect your perspective as a white boy growing up during a radical time in an extremely segregated area of the southern USA, but you do not need to speak for those that can speak for themselves. Especially inferring things that you do not know.

Hillsdown, support your big mouth. Where am I speaking for anyone but myself? Where is it authorized for you to dictate to another user who they can and cannot speak for? Feel free to run your mouth and I will feel free to call it bullshyt!

inyati13":2re2be5a said:
hillsdown":2re2be5a said:
inyati13":2re2be5a said:
Hillsdown,

You ask me to read it. Would you Please read it. Then post on the forum the specific points that you find inappropriate, offensive, etc. Please take into consideration the entire context of the message. It is about what a black person must feel as a result of the racism in the southern states including Kentucky during the 1960s and 1970s.

You are a white, very white person trying to tell us how a black person feels and do not see an issue with that. I do respect your perspective as a white boy growing up during a radical time in an extremely segregated area of the southern USA, but you do not need to speak for those that can speak for themselves. Especially inferring things that you do not know.

If you had the IQ of a mosquitoe, you could have comprehended that the point of this message is captured by the following:
I guess I will never know what a black person feels like when they interact with a white person and what it may be like to be uncomfortable because of the color of my skin.

How in the f**k are you coming up with an interpretation that "You are a white, very white person trying to tell us how a black person feels". My whole dam point is that "I will never know what a black person feels". You have to be the dumbest Homo sapien that has ever drew a breath of air.
I didn't agree with her comment either but you are out of line with your response. You seem to speak on behalf of Kentuckians in this post but no man from Kentucky should ever address a lady in this manner.

inyati13":q0pyz50u said:
If you had the IQ of a mosquitoe, you could have comprehended that the point of this message is captured by the following:
I guess I will never know what a black person feels like when they interact with a white person and what it may be like to be uncomfortable because of the color of my skin.

How in the f**k are you coming up with an interpretation that "You are a white, very white person trying to tell us how a black person feels". My whole dam point is that "I will never know what a black person feels". You have to be the dumbest Homo sapien that has ever drew a breath of air.
If you were half as intelligent as you claim to be you would be trying to clarify your premise in a manner that hd understood instead of assuming that she's stupid. Communication always begins with the person that sends the message(in this case that's you, for clarity). If it's misinterpreted then the most likely cause is that the sender did not send a clear enough message.
It takes a real arrogant SOB to continue to come on here and tell everyone that he offends that it's their fault they're offended. ;-) You might want to try turning that finger back at yourself and see where that gets you.

I read this thread and it's like reading a novel. Inyati13 is telling of the environment he grew up in, the action and interactions of dealing with people of different skin color. Not a statement of their qualities, character or principles.

Then some jump in and claim he's speaking for them and he can't know what they're up against.

Some folks are just looking to be offended, and it doesn't take much for them to come out screaming!

But I need some advise. What do "black" people want to be called? There's the NAACP, with it's outspoken leaders. That's the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. So is "colored" correct?

I described someone to an individual once as, the building inspector, 6 ft. tall, slender, black.... I was interrupted telling me I was a racist. So if I describe someone am I a racist? So is black incorrect?

I was in a carpet store getting a bid on redoing the entire house. I asked the salesman, "Who installs your carpet?" He told me I was a racist and walked away from me.

Why are some many people so sensitive about skin color? What does carpet installation have to do with race?

highgrit":2i1ufdx6 said:
Easy y'all let's have a discussion and not a cussing. I grew up with a black maid and a black farm hand as my keepers. Back then they were colored people. I played lots of sports growing up, mostly team sports so I learned to get along and respect black folks. Racism is never going away it's that simple. To me we have two different kinds of colored people, good one's and others. But it's the same for white folks also. City blacks are hard for me to deal with. But the country blacks are OK by me. I have a bunch that are my friends and I enjoy being with them.

My dad's best friend was a black man spent many hours under the awning and the kitchen table drinking coffee.
The biggest problem we have today are the drum beaters that make money by stirring up trouble.
In some way's I think it was better in the 60's you knew where a person stood on an issue.
I am totally convinced that the PC police have made those with racist views ten times worse.
Like hate crime law's they are like a one way street.
Never did figure that one out in my mind people don't kill people they like.
Murder is murder it is that simple in my mind.
Also never seen a black man charged with a hate crime.
I hear plenty of hate coming out of the Sharpton's of the world.
Again never could figure out how people like that could control so many's thinking.
For some reason from the beginning of time there seems to be more blind followers that independent thinkers.
They would rather live the life of a victim than that of a victor.

inyati13":24t2j0m1 said:
hillsdown":24t2j0m1 said:
inyati13":24t2j0m1 said:
Hillsdown,

Hillsdown, support your big mouth. Where am I speaking for anyone but myself? Where is it authorized for you to dictate to another user who they can and cannot speak for? Feel free to run your mouth and I will feel free to call it bullshyt!

Here is a question for you. Will you ever be able to look at a "black" person without seeing them as that and just seeing them as a person? Not talking about the trash that we see on the news all the time but an average Jill/Jo that is out there working hard to contribute to society.

Eldest son has moved up north and he said he has never seen such racism in all his life. I found this ironic being we southerners are supposed to be such backward people but I guess if you are like me and you grow up with black kids, play with them, hunt with them, fish with them, fight beside them then you just see them as people with some becoming good friends. True, there are some I do not like, some I despise but this has nothing to do with color only character. I blame this on the demise of the traditional family where the welfare program discourages marriage and the traditional family and those who think blacks are unequal and require extra help on tests and preferential treatment in job placement and other aspects of life. Equality is just that. Equal.

I,too grew up with my grandmother having a black cook on Sundays and we loved her dearly. My grandfather had many black farm hands. Some of them and their families lived in houses on his farm.
I started teaching in 1968 just as integration was beginning in rural Middle GA. I had two little black girls in my first class. The next year I had about seven or eight. After that I stopped keeping count. They were students in my classroom that I was to teach. I did not have time to think about color. My job was to teach each child. I tried to treat them all the same.

Jogeephus":nhnqokc1 said:
Eldest son has moved up north and he said he has never seen such racism in all his life. I found this ironic being we southerners are supposed to be such backward people but I guess if you are like me and you grow up with black kids, play with them, hunt with them, fish with them, fight beside them then you just see them as people with some becoming good friends. True, there are some I do not like, some I despise but this has nothing to do with color only character. I blame this on the demise of the traditional family where the welfare program discourages marriage and the traditional family and those who think blacks are unequal and require extra help on tests and preferential treatment in job placement and other aspects of life. Equality is just that. Equal.

One of our best friends is black, she is not African black though. She is a very well educated Singaporean who is very dark skinned and, she will not travel in the US because she is scared of being "profiled" and for her safety.

I do not see color that way either, equality is equality and some of these new reality shows are making people think that there are a lot more of "white jigaboos" than any other race. Nothing to be proud of there :roll:

inyati13":1ao6bfpw said:
hillsdown":1ao6bfpw said:
inyati13":1ao6bfpw said:
Hillsdown,

I guess I will never know what a black person feels like when they interact with a white person and what it may be like to be
uncomfortable because of the color of my skin.

You are a POS. She is a lady. And your not near as smart as you think you are. Even with cows.

Ron, you absolutely floored me with your attack on Hillsdown, I didn't see it coming and it certainly isn't called for... We get along pretty well most of the time but you've dug yourself some mighty deep holes by starting off with good intentions on touchy subjects that are just bound to be emotional for some people.

Before it gets locked down I have one more thing to add. The 3 funniest people I know are black, and I get a good laugh or two every time I see them. The moves and looks they do can't be repeated.

Hillsdown:

I apologize for the words I used in my response to you. The manner I characterized your capabilities is an extreme example of exaggeration. The initial message while not a novel is more akin to a Biography. It is my personal experiences. It is not racist. On the contrary, it is an indictment of racism. Clearly, there was a misunderstanding and probably best not to explore which of us is culpable as that would never be resolved.

I apologize for my reaction. It was a response based on your moral judgment of my personal experiences. I live my life by personal values and standards. One of those is to refrain from making moral judgments of others. I rarely in my life have drawn "first blood". I don't critique other users messages. I don't judge other user's moral values. We all have the right at least in America to say, feel, believe, and hold our own values.

I am sorry but I will always bristle when another person passes judgment on my morals, values or standards.

Nesikep":y0ur2wct said:
Ron, you absolutely floored me with your attack on Hillsdown, I didn't see it coming and it certainly isn't called for... We get along pretty well most of the time but you've dug yourself some mighty deep holes by starting off with good intentions on touchy subjects that are just bound to be emotional for some people.
I just assumed that was the point from the very beginning..

Nesikep":1quw7eq6 said:

Your comment appears sincere. You have the right to feel or characterize this however you do. If the administrators find that this thread should be locked, deleted, or I should be banned, then that is what they will do. We have plowed this ground before. I have no control over what users post. Might have gone in a different direction if Hillsdown had formulated her first comment as a question asking for explanation rather that a negative critique veiled in a riddle.

Latest posts