Black angus vs. Red Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I know black is just better at the sale barn (maybe not always?) but is there a big difference in meat quality from Black and Red Angus?

I know this is not a true or logical statement, but Angus to me is black. Red is limo, red-pole, ect Hereford is white and red. The other colors in these and other breeds appear fake to me.
If you want to mix colors Beefmaster and other breed will do this.

tncattle":39gbj03s said:
I know black is just better at the sale barn (maybe not always?) but is there a big difference in meat quality from Black and Red Angus?

Most people, including me, would say no.

The only variable other then color is the selection process that went into the specific animal. Most of the Red Angus breeders didn;t jump on the bigger is better bandwagon to the point that so many animals size started to compete with the early continentals.

tncattle":ysumxsyw said:

I think within most breeds you can find animals that produce quality meat. Today most breeds have carcass EPDs and that makes selection for marbling easier. There are Angus cattle that don't marble as well as other Angus cattle. I'd expect you will find the same thing in the Red Angus breed.

We raise Red Angus and love the breed. The biggest plus is that they are not a sensitive to heat as Black Angus. The red is the recessive gene of the black -- two recessives make the breed consistently red. The breed is gaining more popularity but there is no carcuss differences.

red or black angus the color doesnt matter.because the meat taste the same no matter the hude color.you just have to choose wich one will best work for you.an what you want todo with the cattle.

I run and feedout RA's, and recently started adding Sim's. To paraphrase what has been said thus far:

1) The only difference between BA and RA is the skin color gene
2) Taste of the meat depends on numerous management factors

Additional info:
a) The RA association referes to RA as "The Business Breed" since they established early on numerous economically relavent EPDs. To this day their EPD analysis continues to grow.
b) When I first started a little over 7 years ago I ran blacks and reds to see if there was a difference in meat quality or other factors. The only difference I could identify was that in my location during the summer months the blacks spent a lot more time standing in the ponds or shade while the reds would still be grazing. Hence the reds seemed to gain slightly better during the summer months. But what seems to sell best at the area sale barns are blacks with a little ear such as Brangus.

dcara":3s1lg809 said:
IAdditional info:
a) The RA association referes to RA as "The Business Breed" since they established early on numerous economically relavent EPDs. To this day their EPD analysis continues to grow.
b) When I first started a little over 7 years ago I ran blacks and reds to see if there was a difference in meat quality or other factors. The only difference I could identify was that in my location during the summer months the blacks spent a lot more time standing in the ponds or shade while the reds would still be grazing. Hence the reds seemed to gain slightly better during the summer months. But what seems to sell best at the area sale barns are blacks with a little ear such as Brangus.

Are you, by chance, color blind? The American Angus Association has been using the term "The Business Breed" for probably 20 years.

http://www.angus.org/pubs/angus.pdf

It was the American Angus Association who made EPDs a mainstay in the beef industry. They may not have created the idea, but it was their push for EPDs that caused other breeds to finally start offering EPDs. I would assume that every breed association's "EPD analysis continues to grow." I know that the AAA records thousands of AHIR reports every sire summary and that's what EPDs are based on in the Angus breed.

Obviously I should have re-checked that reference to "The Business Breed". You are also right about them not creating the idea, they just hopped on the band wagon the RA boys started way back. The American Angus Association I think is now the largest registry but that is in large part due to CAB which which allows for any old mutt of a bovine to qualify as "Certified Angus Beef" even if its not even close to being an Angus. It just has to be black and meet the carcuss requirements. I think most consumers would call that a flat out lie if they new the truth.

http://redangus.org/association/history/

The only difference I could identify was that in my location during the summer months the blacks spent a lot more time standing in the ponds or shade while the reds would still be grazing. Hence the reds seemed to gain slightly better during the summer months.
That being the case how many pounds of gain are being lost every summer in the midwest, and southern feedlots because of the heat stress associated with black color. Some very interesting food for thought. Even if it's only 2 or 3 % for thousands of cattle that adds up to a lot of beef

But what seems to sell best at the area sale barns are blacks with a little ear such as Brangus.[/quote]

In your country yes, but run them thru a sale anywhere north of Texas and the opposite would happen. The real killer in price at the sale seems to be a little color. Everybody up here is afraid color means Longhorn. Shorthorn and Shorthorn crosses take a beating.

dun":1v08rya3 said:
The only variable other then color is the selection process that went into the specific animal. Most of the Red Angus breeders didn;t jump on the bigger is better bandwagon to the point that so many animals size started to compete with the early continentals.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

dcara":wnng9lg4 said:
Obviously I should have re-checked that reference to "The Business Breed". You are also right about them not creating the idea, they just hopped on the band wagon the RA boys started way back. The American Angus Association I think is now the largest registry but that is in large part due to CAB which which allows for any old mutt of a bovine to qualify as "Certified Angus Beef" even if its not even close to being an Angus. It just has to be black and meet the carcuss requirements. I think most consumers would call that a flat out lie if they new the truth.

http://redangus.org/association/history/

You do know that you're showing how little you know here?

The American Angus Association published their first Sire Evaluation Report and some EPDs in 1974. Red Angus published their first Sire Evaluation Report more than ten years later.

Yes, the American Angus Association is the largest registry....by far. They registered more cattle last year than several other breeds combined, including Red Angus.

Yes, any black animal can be CAB if it meets the USDA specifications. What's your point? The Red Angus Association doesn't even have a branded beef program.

As for "any old mutt", the American Angus Association only registeres animals that are the product of registered parents. The Red Angus Association registers percentage cattle (some might even say "mutts").

You can think what you want. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and anyone is entitled to point out if/why that opinion is wrong. If you actually pay attention to facts (The Business Breed) before you post, you might be a bit better off.

[

Yes, any black animal can be CAB if it meets the USDA specifications. What's your point? The Red Angus Association doesn't even have a branded beef program.

Frankie.
I read all of your posts with great interest and respect, but I cannot let this statement go by without a response.

I would ask you the same question re., CAB! keep in mind I'm on the end of the cattle business where it reaches it's final destination. What's the point if it says CAB on the box and there is not a drop of Angus red or black in the box. At that point splitting hairs with someone over who came first the BLACK chicken or the RED egg seems kinda silly.

I say this with al sincerity, what makes Black Angus great is not unique it has just been marketed better than the other breed registries. But with what is happening to CAB these days it's nothing to brag about. If there is no Angus red or black in the box "What really is the point"

hillrancher":tul7nz5t said:
I know this is not a true or logical statement, but Angus to me is black. Red is limo, red-pole, ect Hereford is white and red. The other colors in these and other breeds appear fake to me.

Please study your breeds a little. You can Google Red Angus. Or Cattle Breeds. U of OK has a great website that will help you to understand Breeds. Not Fake Breeds.

JMichal":1soku5iy said:
hillrancher":1soku5iy said:

Please study your breeds a little. You can Google Red Angus. Or Cattle Breeds. U of OK has a great website that will help you to understand Breeds. Not Fake Breeds.

Oh, I wouldn't call Red Angus a "fake breed." :D

Frankie":3lo2drlv said:
JMichal":3lo2drlv said:
hillrancher":3lo2drlv said:

Oh, I wouldn't call Red Angus a "fake breed." :D

Exactly what I was trying to point out. Not a Fake breed. Maybe it sounded wrong.

Latest posts