Registering commercial Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

lazyacres

Reaction score
Good morning. My daughter has been dipping into the beef show world they past few years starting off from her 4h program. She has since bought 2 registered white park heifers, and a registered Limousin heifer. Yesterday she bought three commercial Angus heifer calves 4 months old. We got them from people we know and were told they are 99% with a herford mix way back in the line. My question is is there a way to get them tested and then possibly registered? Only for the purpose of her showing at youth events?

No, neither the Hereford association nor the angus (AAA) register cattle less than 100% on paper. Those calves will need to show as crossbred or AOB (all other breeds). Some breeds will accept percentage cattle for use in a breed up program (breed them and their progeny to purebred bulls). After 3 or 4 generations of documented pedigree, the calves can be registered as purebred. But angus and hereford do not offer that.

Yep; she's just bought some black commercial heifers. AAA will have nothing for her.
Even if these were 100%... with no other breed genetics introduced ever, since the closing of the Angus herdbook...if the previous owners had just stopped bothering to register their stock for one or more generations, I'm not sure that AAA even has a procedure in place to 'recover/reinstitute' registered status.

But... as Simme also said, there are breeds - like Simmental, Gelbvieh, even Red Angus(I think) - which have 'breed-up to purebred status' programs... offspring of these heifers could be registered as 'percentage' animals until they reach the level that the breed association requires for 'purebred' status. But they'll never be 'fullblood'.
But... if she's wanting registered Angus... she's going to have to purchase registered stock with current papers.

These heifers are already weaned at 4 mos old? How much do they weigh now? Even if you could get Angus papers..which you can't....she'd be showing against sure nuff registered Angus. Dunno where y'all are from. but down here they have commercial classes for unregistered and cross breds. What usually wins, are black or black white face that are mostly part Simmental.

As said - even out of registered stock back just a few generations - AAA will not touch them. But, you can breed to a PB Simmental and the offspring will be registerable half blood Simmentals.
It is a little disturbing that they sold 4 month old heifers for your kids. They would have needed to be weaned around 3 months old to be ready for a new home. What do they weigh?

I too have been reading up on registering commercial cattle. It's a damn shame how limiting some breeds are.
There are plenty of registered Angus cattle. No reason to open the books. Now, the gene pool may be narrowing at least among the big money tax write off owners, but there are plenty of producers who do their own thing too.

Latest posts