Black Angus Heifer has me worried

Help Support CattleToday:

gitrdonegrouper

Reaction score
Was feeding my black Angus this morning and noticed one of my heifers her back right leg. Just above the hoof looked a little swollen. Not sure if she's fine and its just me worrying too much. These are my pets. They have shelter and very nice grass. I also feed them once a day. She isn't limping on that leg or anything its just a little swollen. She isn't taking weight off of it. Walking seems to be fine. Anyone have any thoughts?

You have a good heart!!! A man should care about other living creatures. It is fundamental to animal husbandry.

If she is not limping and the swelling is not excessive, I would not take any action except watching to see what transpires.

It could be early stage of foot rot. Or a physical sprain. Watch her. Good luck.

I would get her caught and tie the foot up to have a good look. Might be a simple fix right now that could turn into something worse later on.

I would look at the leg. It might be something and it might be nothing right now you don't know. Give yourself some rest and look at it. Let us know what you find.

Latest posts