Black Angus Hair Loss

Help Support CattleToday:

wahoogray

Reaction score
Coming out of a rough winter in Colorado my small operation of Black Angus has a lot of hair loss around the neck and shoulder area. Should I be worried about disease or nutrition or what.

Sounds like lice to me. Your spring worming should take care of that and the hair will grow right back. Just make sure that the product you are using is designed to take care of external parasites.

wahoogray":2tus0s1w said:
Coming out of a rough winter in Colorado my small operation of Black Angus has a lot of hair loss around the neck and shoulder area. Should I be worried about disease or nutrition or what.

More than likely it's lice. As others have stated get going on your worming and de-licing program.

IVOMEC® (ivermectin) ASAP it should take care of your lice problem plus get them ready to gain for the summer.

Lice.

Pour on works but it is late and you will get a lot of hair loss anyways.

If you do nothing and the weather is coming sunny it will clear up on its own.

Up to you.

Keep 'em fed and watered - either way they will be fine.

Mark this time in your mind - then next year use a pour on 90 days ahead of this time frame.

Pour ons usually run out of juice around the 90 to 100 day mark - but you will have killed the lice by this time.

Bez>

Bez>":480189h0 said:
Lice.

Up to you.

Mark this time in your mind - then next year use a pour on 90 days ahead of this time frame.

Pour ons usually run out of juice around the 90 to 100 day mark - but you will have killed the lice by this time.

Bez>

Good points but...... he has a possible lice problem 'now' That means he did not ivermectin when he should have which means even though the lice may go by summer he still will benfit by ivomecing his cattle now which will cover grubs, worms ect. ect.

S.R.R.":m4ykmbf6 said:
Bez>":m4ykmbf6 said:
Lice.

Up to you.

Bez>

Good points but...... he has a possible lice problem 'now' That means he did not ivermectin when he should have which means even though the lice may go by summer he still will benfit by ivomecing his cattle now which will cover grubs, worms ect. ect.

No argument from me on that point - should have included it in my original post.

Regards

Bez>

Latest posts