Black Angus and Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone mix those breeds ? I have found a source of getting quality herefords for a good price but I have Black Angus im wondering does anyone ever mix these breeds or should I have separate pastures for each breed?

skyhightree1":1i7y93c5 said:
Does anyone mix those breeds ? I have found a source of getting quality herefords for a good price but I have Black Angus im wondering does anyone ever mix these breeds or should I have separate pastures for each breed?
Ahhhh....how do you expect to get crossbreds if you don't "mix" them..... Plenty of people cross angus and hereford and they make some dandy cows.

1982vett":2ohyxra9 said:
skyhightree1":2ohyxra9 said:
Ahhhh....how do you expect to get crossbreds if you don't "mix" them..... Plenty of people cross angus and hereford and they make some dandy cows.

I think what they mean is they have angus cows and they're wanting/getting hereford cows also. :D

right I was just asking i guess to see if any of you all mix angus and hereford no one around my way seems to do that .. that i know of.... sorry if that was a stupid question... How do they turn out and what about sales of them do they sell high from everyones experience?

i will be getting 6 calves then at a great cost of $0.00... u ask how I dug my neighbor out from our snow and I fixed his driveway so he could get out by adding gravel... and left one of my tractors there for him to use since its 4x4 his is 2 wheel drive and kept getting stuck... I didnt ask for it he insists.. thats why i asked before i took them

I would definitaly take them since they are free, are they heifers or steers? It doesnt matter both will grow out to be good freezer beef.

c farmer":2wqisree said:
I would definitaly take them since they are free, are they heifers or steers? It doesnt matter both will grow out to be good freezer beef.

5 heifers and 1 steer

That's an great cross. They should bring as good as or better than most in the local market.

fitz

I agree with the others in that the cross is good and usually in good demand.
Wither you cross them or not may depend more on the quality. If they are good enough you may come out ahead keeping them separate and selling purebreds. As with any business you should do a market survey. This can be accomplished simply by going down to the sale barn and observing. Ask a few people questions. There may be some people interested in the cross but just cannot find any in the area. This may cause you to get a few more dollars on the cross. The same would go for the purebreds.
If you go the purebred route I feel it is better to choose one of the breeds where you can concentrate your efforts. Culling is a very important part of the purebred business. Concentrating on one breed gives you the ability to cull better as you have more cattle of the same breed to choose from.
If they are not good enough then I would concentrate on terminals using a good terminal bull. Cross them or leave them, whatever brings the most at the market.

I have a hereford/beefmaster cross and I just bred her to a Black Angus. I don't know if it took. That was in Aug/Sept.2009, I'm still waiting to see if I see any changes yet. At cattle camp I should find someone to tell me more. Dora is a assst. vet and she is usally at all of these events helping out the 4-h er's. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something happen. And if so I'll see what I end up with.

Mare":1361j490 said:
I have a hereford/beefmaster cross and I just bred her to a Black Angus. I don't know if it took. That was in Aug/Sept.2009, I'm still waiting to see if I see any changes yet. At cattle camp I should find someone to tell me more. Dora is a assst. vet and she is usally at all of these events helping out the 4-h er's. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something happen. And if so I'll see what I end up with.
If she hasn;t come back into heat that's 99.9% chance that she settled.

That's what I'm hoping for. Being a wannabe cattle person is hard tell. I remeber when they use to moo alot and try to ride each other. But since the bull left, I haven't heard or seen to much of that. So I think they are. Or I'm so use to it, that I'm not notice the mooing as much. But I don't think so. They have changed alot. Maybe is that they have matured????? I don't know.

If you have 2 or more together, if one is in heat it's almost a certanty that one will be riding.

Mare":1xz4vnu8 said:
no, just the 2 herifers. That's all I have
The one of them would be riding or trying to the other. It's not too common to have 2 heifers that neither of them shows any interest when one or the other is in heat

They did, show interst. It's just now the the bull is gone,I don't see them doing the riding or the mooing. Maybe they are pregant. Both of them. I just don't now till cattle camp. With the grandkids showing them in the fair, And Dora goes to the cattle camp. I won't have to take them to the vet or she come to the house. They just told me to wait till then. And if they're not pregant. They for sure have changed, Or it's maybe being at work and the house being closed cause it cold, I don't see them or hear them. I'm just waiting. And reading everyone's else posting on breding and calfing to get information on it. Just today I've learned alot about backward birthing, I printed that out. About judging to know what to look for in getting a good looking steer/herifer. Printed that. And the hardware diaease. You guys have alot of information. Matter of fact I think I'm on overload now!!!!!!!! :eek:

Latest posts