birth weights lower in fall?

Help Support CattleToday:

It is the Brahman cow that supresses birth weight not the Brahman bull. So i dought breeding high birth cows to Brahman type bull would produce a low birth weight calf.

Redcows is correct. The dam has more to do with the BW than people give credit. Some cows are just calf growers. Yes, you can reduce her BW using a super easy, low BW bull, but across the board, compared to contemporary cows, she will have a heavier BW calf than the others.

Brahman cows have a built-in ability to only produce a certain weight calf - no matter what bull she is bred to - but, the offspring 1/2 brahman 1/2 whatever does NOT have the same capability. So, if you keep a heifer out of a heavy BW sire, you can expect her progeny to be heavier.

Back to the original question. Researchers say that fall calves are lighter based on the cold months make BW increase. BUT, as mentioned, if you have lush grasses, this will put some extra weight on the fall calvers. And, depending on your location, your winters could be mild temp - not affecting BW --- or, your summers may be mild, also not affecting BW. (taking nutrition out of the picture)

If you have been breeding heavy birth weight into you cowherd for the last few decades, your going to have a hard time breeding that out of them suddenly going to a easy calving low birth weight bull.
However it sure will help. :welcome:

I'm getting a little gun shy about posting opinions based on actual data and reseach (I've learned from this forum that I am an idiot), so here are some actual citations:

Butt, E.A., S. Pearce, T. Stephenson and M.E. Symonds. 2004. Maternal cold exposure from mid to late gestation results in increased adipose insulin like growth factor (IGF)-I mRNA expression and
heavier birth weight with no effect on fat mass. Endocrine Abstracts 8:21

Deutscher G., D. Colburn and R. Davis. 1999. Climate Affects Calf Birth Weights and Calving Difficulty. UNL Beef Cattle Report, University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension MP 71 http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/beef/report/mp71-03.htm

Kimura, Y., K. Okamura, T. Watanabe, T. Takahashi, I. Haga and A. Yajima. 1998. The Effect of Cold Stress on Uterine Artery Blood Flow Velocity Waveforms in Late Pregnant Women with and without Preeclampsia". Tohoku J. Exp. Med. 186: 71-77

Revella, D. K., S.F. Main, B.H. Breier, Y.H. Cottam, M. Hennies and S.N. McCutcheon. 2000. Metabolic responses to mid-pregnancy shearing that are associated with a selective increase in the birth weight of twin lambs Dom. Endo. 18 409-422

RanchManager":m7aqqkqc said:
I'm getting a little gun shy about posting opinions based on actual data and reseach (I've learned from this forum that I am an idiot), so here are some actual citations:

Butt, E.A., S. Pearce, T. Stephenson and M.E. Symonds. 2004. Maternal cold exposure from mid to late gestation results in increased adipose insulin like growth factor (IGF)-I mRNA expression and
heavier birth weight with no effect on fat mass. Endocrine Abstracts 8:21

Deutscher G., D. Colburn and R. Davis. 1999. Climate Affects Calf Birth Weights and Calving Difficulty. UNL Beef Cattle Report, University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension MP 71 http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/beef/report/mp71-03.htm

Kimura, Y., K. Okamura, T. Watanabe, T. Takahashi, I. Haga and A. Yajima. 1998. The Effect of Cold Stress on Uterine Artery Blood Flow Velocity Waveforms in Late Pregnant Women with and without Preeclampsia". Tohoku J. Exp. Med. 186: 71-77

Revella, D. K., S.F. Main, B.H. Breier, Y.H. Cottam, M. Hennies and S.N. McCutcheon. 2000. Metabolic responses to mid-pregnancy shearing that are associated with a selective increase in the birth weight of twin lambs Dom. Endo. 18 409-422

Can;t get the link to call up the report, just an index to search.
When "cold" is addressed in the reearch I haven;t found where they actually mention the temperature, just "cold". I'm curious at what temps and what duration the "cold" have the affect.

Being located in a "cold" climate, we have received lots of reports about the cold temp affecting BW (heavier). But, it is relative. They are talking "colder than a normal winter" will make our BW's heavier than other years. But, yes, much research has proven that the same set of cows bred to exactly the same bull. One year calve in hot climate - next year calve in cold climate, and they definately have heavier calves in the cold climate.

Latest posts