Summer/Fall Calving in Snow Country ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I haven't had many problems (any problem cows have grown wheels). We sync cows so the goal is always to have them calve in the first 1 or 2 cycles. That means most are done by September so they usually get 2.5-3 months of good growth on them (no dealing with deep mud, bad flies, heat, etc that spring calves have) before deep winter sets in.
Bought a couple winter calving heifers as part of my get rich in 2023 strategery.
Have live calves with ears but they were not growing... It is still deep winter here.
Have now set up a creep area for them.

Last edited:
NDSU did a fairly extensive study in the 1990's at their Streeter, N.D., Central Grasslands Station. Very positive results on fall calving in the Frozen North.
Interesting that hay consumption was not all that different. You feed more only till the end of breeding season. I give my calves a creep hay area so they don't have to compete with the cows for feed.
I think hay consumption has a lot to do with hay quality.
I know I "save" a lot when I feed my neighbors wild meadow hay.

Did NDSU have poor hay and high spring stocker prices?

Last edited:
The mud is the original reason we started breeding earlier - and earlier - and earlier. Until we've settled on Jan/Feb. Calves are plenty smart by the time mud season starts. They know how to avoid it as much as possible.
We have 3 sided sheds for our calves. Most people put a board on the front of the shed, so the calves can get in and cows can't. Problem with that, is the cows stand outside the shed and totally trash the ground all around the shed, making it difficult for the calves to get IN or OUT without getting belly deep in mud. We put a 1-strand hi-tensile fence around a substantial area around the shed. Calves can lay out on the grass/weeds/snow in the sun on good days or bundle up in the shed. NO MUD anywhere around their shed. The cows will make a muddy area around the closest spot to the shed, but the calves have all the way around to get in and out and not be in the mud.
I do a similar thing but use freestanding panels to make a cow proof pen out front of the shelters. Lots of good bedding in the shelters and pen does give them a great clean place to hang out and shelter.

I do too. I have a 3-sided calf shed that has a large area around it that the cows cannot get to, with a 1 strand hi-tensile fence. The calves can go under. They have a great dry bale in their shed to eat free choice and we also bed it down with the hay. About a month before weaning, we start putting some WSC and whole oats in a feeder for them. Makes weaning so much easier on the calves.
Does it take more feed for cows to grow a fetus during the winter vs milk production in winter? Obviously, it would depend on the milk production. I have heavy milkers. But, I really don't think they eat a lot more than pregnant cows.

I don't try to stack a lot of milk epd into my genetics. That's counterintuitive for many, but so is fall calving. I want easy-fleshing cows with big guts on them. Grass-fleshing ability is the number one trait we look at. Cows need to be able to take care of themselves first.

I don't try to stack a lot of milk epd into my genetics. That's counterintuitive for many, but so is fall calving. I want easy-fleshing cows with big guts on them. Grass-fleshing ability is the number one trait we look at. Cows need to be able to take care of themselves first.
Was using some higher weaning wt. genetics for a while, but then had problems with spring calving heifer breed back...
I am sure fall calving would make breed back worse.

I have high milking cows, but they have to be able to breed back for 12 month calving, and raise a high growth calf....on grass in the summer and hay in winter. I tell everyone, a cow needs to be able to fit a 50 gal drum in their gut. They can't survive on roughage if they don't have the capacity.

I have high milking cows, but they have to be able to breed back for 12 month calving, and raise a high growth calf....on grass in the summer and hay in winter. I tell everyone, a cow needs to be able to fit a 50 gal drum in their gut. They can't survive on roughage if they don't have the capacity.
Capacity is great.

Multiple calving seasons is good.

The issue is the cost vs. quality of local feeds that can make it all work financially. Stored roughage here currently ranges from U$S 70 to 155 per ton DM. Last year it was about double that.

I am getting a real education on wintering cows with my 2023 put together herd.

I have all my hay custom baled and "usually" have all I need. Last year they only got 300 of baleage - my cost to them was 21.56/bale + fuel (they fill up here). + fertilizer
The year before (2021) it was $17.24/bale. Raking/mowing is by the acre, so the less I get the more it costs/bale.
I have already purchased 50 5 x 4.5 dry bales, 1st cut for $50/bale. And will probably end up buying another truck load of 14 bales.