birth weights lower in fall?

Help Support CattleToday:

George Monk

Reaction score
I was talking with a buddy this weekend and he asked if I had noticed that the fall birth weights were lower than spring. Since we have only had fall calving for two years I hadn't put any thought to it. When I checked my records I seem to support what he said. Do those of you with more extinsive experience see the same?
If so that could be an easy way to reduce a bulls BW epd!

George Monk":2bbghup0 said:
I was talking with a buddy this weekend and he asked if I had noticed that the fall birth weights were lower than spring. Since we have only had fall calving for two years I hadn't put any thought to it. When I checked my records I seem to support what he said. Do those of you with more extinsive experience see the same?
If so that could be an easy way to reduce a bulls BW epd!

Yes, birthweights are generally lighter in the fall. No it won't affect EPDs because the data to create EPDs is from contemporary groups. Contemporary groups are animals born within a 90 day window and managed together.

They are if you calve the cows on average to marginal pastures. We are just finishing our fall calving and the cows have been on stockpiled summer forage for the last 2 months or so. Last bull calf born was 118 lbs., a full 30 lbs heavier than the average for bull calves born this summer. Most of the calves have been 10+ lbs. heavier than the spring average of 92 lbs.

It is basically a rule that fall calves are born smaller and easier than spring ones, but that can be thrown out if you put your cows on heavy or lush forage.

Normally our fall cows are put on pastures that have run out and we supplement with hay, but this year we got pasture out our ears, so we figured we would let them have a treat. :cowboy:

Frankie,
Okay but how does that work with small producers like me that may only have 5 calves from the same sire? The contemporary group would only be his calves. Would any data go for birth weight? Say all five calves were born in the upper sixties and lower seventy pounds? What if this an AI sire? Do my 5 calves get group with others that are born at the same time and treated similarly (no creep etc.)?
George

George Monk":16f6okkn said:
Frankie,
Okay but how does that work with small producers like me that may only have 5 calves from the same sire? The contemporary group would only be his calves. Would any data go for birth weight? Say all five calves were born in the upper sixties and lower seventy pounds? What if this an AI sire? Do my 5 calves get group with others that are born at the same time and treated similarly (no creep etc.)?
George

If there's data on the cows, their sires and dams, I'd think that they should still be able to compute the influence of the bull on the calves. Accuracies probably won't move much, though. Contemporary groups stay together. If we report BW and WW on five bulls, but only send two of them to test, those two become their own contemporary group. The other bulls on the same test don't become their contemporary group.

Frankie":2infdlxn said:
George Monk":2infdlxn said:
Frankie,
George

If there's data on the cows, their sires and dams, I'd think that they should still be able to compute the influence of the bull on the calves. Accuracies probably won't move much, though. Contemporary groups stay together. If we report BW and WW on five bulls, but only send two of them to test, those two become their own contemporary group. The other bulls on the same test don't become their contemporary group.

Your 5 calves will be a contemporary group on their own. The data will still be taken into account through genetic coupling your cows and the bull might have with other herds. The math behind it is quite a complex matrix to take everything into consideration and to weigh the data accordingly.

Ideally a contemporary group must have atleast two sires represented and the more calves the better, doesn't always work like that in smaller herds though.

HEREFORD ROADHOG":1n58d9w7 said:
I would think it has alot to do with how well the cows ate all sping and summer. :cboy:

That's part of it. The temperature during gestation also has an affect. Normally after a cold winter the calves are a little heavier then after a mild winter. In an exceptionally hot summer, the fall calves would be lighter. Has to do with the blood flow during gestation. Cold and the blood doesn;t go to the extermitys and provides more blood flow to the calf. Hot summer the opposit

I think, If you have the genetics in your cow herd for low birth weights and you use bulls with low birth weights. Your gonna get low birth weights no matter what time of the year your calving. I've had cows calve Fall, Spring, Winter and Summer I see no difference in birth weights what so ever.

The comparison I have is from the same bull - EXT. Last spring we had 7 calves ranging from 74-98 lbs. this fall the calves have been in the 60's

We have found that calves are generally heavier in the spring. We think it is due to grain consumption during winter months. It is generally known that feeding grain during the last trimester will produce higher BW calves.

Cold winters = higher birthweights.

Remember EPD's tell you the calves performance in comparison to the averages. If your average birthweights are higher in the spring, even the low birthweight EPD calves will be higher. Just not higher than average for that group.

Don't forget Momma - she had a lot to say about the weight of that calf too. I have a cow that will have a 100#+ calf regardless of what you breed her to.

redcowsrule33":2wkx053r said:
Don't forget Momma - she had a lot to say about the weight of that calf too. I have a cow that will have a 100#+ calf regardless of what you breed her to.

This is just incorrect information, it amazes me sometimes what people write in here.
instead of making up garbage to someones good question why dont you either dont post at all or research it online or at a Library?

Bad information is worse than none at all.

4CTophand":2z3miumh said:
redcowsrule33":2z3miumh said:

This is just incorrect information, it amazes me sometimes what people write in here.
instead of making up garbage to someones good question why dont you either dont post at all or research it online or at a Library?

Bad information is worse than none at all.
I thought most people new that Brahman cows limit there calf size. You can breed a Brahman cow to a high birth weight Hereford, Angus, or any other breed you choose and still be hard pressed to get a birth weight over 80 pounds. That trait can be passed on to any other breed having Brahman influence.
But I will have to agree on your last sentance.

YEAH THEY COULD BREED THAT ONE COW TO A GERT SANTA CRUZ BRAHMAN OR EVEN A NELORE FROM SOUTH AMERICA AND GET A 65 LB BW-- SOME PPL ARE JUST MORONS

4CTophand":1s9s2451 said:
YEAH THEY COULD BREED THAT ONE COW TO A GERT SANTA CRUZ BRAHMAN OR EVEN A NELORE FROM SOUTH AMERICA AND GET A 65 LB BW-- SOME PPL ARE JUST MORONS

Gosh Auctionboy, you've really used this sabatical to do some reading up, pity you didn't spent as much time on your people skills.

KNERSIE":33of11j5 said:
4CTophand":33of11j5 said:

Gosh Auctionboy, you've really used this sabatical to do some reading up, pity you didn't spent as much time on your people skills.
BACK TO YOUR BOER GOATS SA---- LEAVE THE REAL CATTLE BUSINESS TO US AMERICANS

4CTophand":1u5nx3rd said:
KNERSIE":1u5nx3rd said:
4CTophand":1u5nx3rd said:

BACK TO YOUR BOER GOATS SA---- LEAVE THE REAL CATTLE BUSINESS TO US AMERICANS

Charming!

KNERSIE":3h43bs0n said:
Charming!
[/quote]
STOP COMING ON TO ME IN HERE THIS IS FOR INFO ONLY---- BE CAREFUL NOT TO FALL UNDER MY MAGNETISM AND CHARM--- PLUS YOU "BOER" ME.
J/K
T

Latest posts