BioPryn?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Anyone use the BioPryn test to confirm pregnancy on their cows?

Is there another option for preg tests other than Palpation?

I use it on my heifers every year. I like it. Go ahead and buy a 3cc syringe for each cow. If your not used to using those vacuum tubes, they'll make you cuss. Then squirt the blood in the tube.

Red Bull Breeder":3qds0o2o said:
Ultrasound is another option.

I guess I should have stated an option that I could do without having someone else come out. We have some that are in several different stages of being exposed and would have to be done at different times.

Bigfoot":7ohbae7i said:
I use it on my heifers every year. I like it. Go ahead and buy a 3cc syringe for each cow. If your not used to using those vacuum tubes, they'll make you cuss. Then squirt the blood in the tube.

Once you send the samples off how long is it to get results?

Tom, I do. Buy lot of 10, if I remember it comes out to only a few dollars per test. Comes with vaccuum needle to pull sample from caudal artery between the third and fourth caudal vertebra.

If I need immediate determination on pregnancy and it has been 30 days from AI, I have vet ultrasound.

inyati13":yrlgzi1n said:
Tom, I do. Buy lot of 10, if I remember it comes out to only a few dollars per test. Comes with vaccuum needle to pull sample from caudal artery between the third and fourth caudal vertebra.

If I need immediate determination on pregnancy and it has been 30 days from AI, I have vet ultrasound.

How hard is it to pull the blood? Something I have never done. Just wanting to confirm some are bred, more than I can haul at once to the vet's office but thought it might be cheaper than a farm call from the vet.

Bigfoot":23sqoxbr said:

Not lost a vaccuum seal yet. Lot easier to get a fill with a vacuum plus more sterile.

tom4018":u1kgocmn said:
inyati13":u1kgocmn said:

How hard is it to pull the blood? Something I have never done. Just wanting to confirm some are bred, more than I can haul at once to the vet's office but thought it might be cheaper than a farm call from the vet.

Comes with great instructions. Not hard. The artery is in the groove under the tail. Use your thumb to locate groove. All in the instructions.

You get it back quick. It's emailed to you. 4 days tops. You can probably mail it to any of their labs, but seems like I sent mine to bowling green last spring. It's about time for me to do it again, the bull has been on the heifers since May 15th. You don't have to use their tubes. I think I bought a gross from Jeffers for nearly nothing.

Pulling the blood can be a little tricky with vacuum tube imho. Seems like I break the vacuum before I should. I just change needles and syring on each cow.

Bigfoot if you were using Gold Standard in Bowling Green, they closed up about a month ago. I sure hated that took 2 days for results, have to find another place now.

Bigfoot":18movsea said:
You get it back quick. It's emailed to you. 4 days tops. You can probably mail it to any of their labs, but seems like I sent mine to bowling green last spring. It's about time for me to do it again, the bull has been on the heifers since May 15th. You don't have to use their tubes. I think I bought a gross from Jeffers for nearly nothing.

Pulling the blood can be a little tricky with vacuum tube imho. Seems like I break the vacuum before I should. I just change needles and syring on each cow.

Bigfoot. Keep the needle under the skin before loading tube, then keep it in the flesh until you enter caudal vessel or it will pull air. I say that for Tom's benefit.

Tom, the key is locating the caudal vessel in the groove unter the tail. Count down about 3 caudal vertebra from the tail head. Find the groove on the underside of tail. Very distinct. Insert needle into the groove on the caudal vertebra. Do not go into the space between the vertebra. Go in on the body of the vertebra. I like the vacuum because when you hit the lumen of the vessel, the vial immediately fills.

You will not have any trouble. If you have trouble with the vacuum, Bigfoot's method is great too.

I get mine back in a week.

inyati13":lejxqa2q said:
Bigfoot":lejxqa2q said:

Bigfoot. Keep the needle under the skin before loading tube, then keep it in the flesh until you enter caudal vessel or it will pull air. I say that for Tom's benefit.

Tom, the key is locating the caudal vessel in the groove unter the tail. Count down about 3 caudal vertebra from the tail head. Find the groove on the underside of tail. Very distinct. Insert needle into the groove on the caudal vertebra. Do not go into the space between the vertebra. Go in on the body of the vertebra. I like the vacuum because when you hit the lumen of the vessel, the vial immediately fills.

You will not have any trouble. If you have trouble with the vacuum, Bigfoot's method is great too.

Which lab are you sending yours to? I had heard the one in Bowling Green closed.

Gold Standard Labs closed their BG KY and TX labs. Saw where they were recommending sending samples to KSU - but they are headquartered in KS. Most state or university-affiliated veterinary diagnostic laboratories perform the bovine pregnancy tests and BVD-PI tests that GSL was offering, at similar pricing - though some may charge slightly more - USDA and accrediting bodies don't allow them to 'pool' samples, because of quality assurance issues.

So... check with your state/univ. veterinary diagnostic lab for pricing, turn-around time, requirements, etc.
I know the lab I work at offers price breaks at certain numbers of animals for the bovine pregnancy test - but for the life of me, I can't figure it out from the price list on the website; I have to call someone in the clerical/billing section to get that, whenever I field a call about it.

Lucky_P":2aazy5c9 said:
Gold Standard Labs closed their BG KY and TX labs. Saw where they were recommending sending samples to KSU - but they are headquartered in KS. Most state or university-affiliated veterinary diagnostic laboratories perform the bovine pregnancy tests and BVD-PI tests that GSL was offering, at similar pricing - though some may charge slightly more - USDA and accrediting bodies don't allow them to 'pool' samples, because of quality assurance issues.

So... check with your state/univ. veterinary diagnostic lab for pricing, turn-around time, requirements, etc.
I know the lab I work at offers price breaks at certain numbers of animals for the bovine pregnancy test - but for the life of me, I can't figure it out from the price list on the website; I have to call someone in the clerical/billing section to get that, whenever I field a call about it.

I can take them to you guys? If that's true, I had no idea.

Yes you can, but you'll need to work with/through your veterinarian. The veterinarian doesn't necessarily have to collect the samples (though they would for federally-overseen regulatory stuff, like brucellosis, Coggins testing, etc.).
From a legal standpoint, our lab works for/through the referring veterinarian. You just have to have a referring vet of record who will agree to serve in that capacity.

We've been doing bovine pregnancy and BVD-PI testing for years.
I often wondered if KCA was getting a kickback from GSL... as I always saw KCA officers recommending that producers send samples to those commercial labs rather than the two 'state-supported' labs... MSU-BVC in Hopkinsville, UK-VMDL in Lexington.

I also use a three cc syringe. Its just easier for me. I draw the blood and hand it to the wife. She injects it into the tube and writes the tag number on the tube. Your hands or gloves get pretty nasty after doing a few. I use CattleStats out of OKC. They will usually email you the results the day they receive the package and then mail you a permanent copy a week or so later. Costs $3.45 per tube for testing so about $5 per animal for supplies, shipping and testing if you do a dozen.

Watch the Utube videos on tail bleeding and try a few. Simple to do.

tom4018":2iep0tt2 said:
inyati13":2iep0tt2 said:
Bigfoot":2iep0tt2 said:

Which lab are you sending yours to? I had heard the one in Bowling Green closed.

DHI Cooperative
Columbus, OH.
I order supplies for 10 pregnancy tests. Seems like the last order was $34.00. They send a sheet with the order that says "prepaid". You need to copy that sheet and include with each shipment. I rarely am doing more than two at a time. Only additional cost is shipping. This is the most economical method of pregnancy testing. I had the vet come and do two heifers via ultrasound because I was leaving the farm to help Fire Sweep and needed to know whether to Lutalyse them and get them bred before I left. Both turned up pregnant.

PS: I agree with the post above on the YouTube. I like to do the technical stuff so maybe that is why I hope you try the vacuum needle. If you know exactly where you are going with it, it seems easy to me. I have beat that old mule to death so enough on that.

Latest posts