"BioPryn test after lutalyce" question . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Your answer will be alot shorter than my question! We separated our too-active bull calves from our bunch when we vacc'd on June 2; the bulls morphed to steers on June 15; we lute'd 2 young heifers on June 23 (bulls/steers have been/still are separated since June 2). I need to draw blood for BioPryn preg test on all the females.

So, now, its July 20. My question: Will I get an accurate BioPryn reading now on the two heifers we lute'd a month ago? Thanks!

. . . afterthought . . . if we pull blood w/ syringe and needle and then into the vacc tube vs. the little gadgets BioPryn sends, what is the recommended needle size?

I think it has to be 70 days after calving for a negative. So if your asking will it show her open 50 days after lute? If she had got bred it may not. If your checking heifers to be bred 28 days.

I use 18x1 needle

bse":2p1fukgv said:
I think it has to be 70 days after calving for a negative. So if your asking will it show her open 50 days after lute? If she had got bred it may not. If your checking heifers to be bred 28 days.

I use 18x1 needle

Thanks BSE. I know those heifers were exposed, so the test might not be accurate for them after the lute. ?? Should I hit them again w/ lute, for CYA purposes this weekend? Or is that not a good idea? ??

it is 90 days post calving ,or after aborting , if they were not bred at the lute shot it would say open
other wise you can run 2 tests 2 weeks apart and if the numbers go down they are open , if they go up they are bred , I use a 3 cc syringe for tail bleed , as I let go of it after putting it in ,and it will stay . Then I can draw back for blood with 1 hand works great
Suzanne

suzorse":3qz80xnw said:
it is 90 days post calving ,or after aborting , if they were not bred at the lute shot it would say open
other wise you can run 2 tests 2 weeks apart and if the numbers go down they are open , if they go up they are bred , I use a 3 cc syringe for tail bleed , as I let go of it after putting it in ,and it will stay . Then I can draw back for blood with 1 hand works great
Suzanne
Thanks, Suzorse . . . we'll go ahead and draw the blood and see what clues we get from the test results.

BioPRYN Tests for a protein (PSPB) produced by the placenta. Only if the embryo is in the placental stage will the subject test as pregnant. The placenta is established and producing PSPB 30 days post breeding or AI.

Assuming the two heifers were pregnant and you Lutalysed them 30 days ago, you need to account for the time it takes Lutalyse to expell the pregnancy. That normally takes a few days up to 7 days. I would allow the PSPB to clear the blood stream. So 30 days after the pregnancy was ended by the lutalyse, the test should be negative if the lutalyse worked. Adding the numbers, you should get accurate results 37 days after you lutalysed the two heifers. It is likely that PSPB clears the bloodstream in less than 30 days. If you are in a hurry, the risk might be worth doing it sooner.

Reference BioPRYN Web page:
Pregnancy-Specific Protein B (PSPB), a protein only produced by the placenta of a growing fetus, in the blood circulation of the animal.

Got our blood tests results today: Everyone we expected to be PREG is, except one -- we'll AI her. The two heifers we luted just over a month ago came back OPEN, so they likely hadn't been bred at all, thank God!

Latest posts