Biopryn Results Question

Help Support CattleToday:

LRTX1

Reaction score
I just recieved results and was curious what others thought of them.

Satisfied with what was open or pregnant but, I don't understand the Low and High Recheck. I have one cow that fell into the Low recheck range. What exactly does that mean?

Report Date Assay/Animal Number of Samples
11/21/2012 Cattle - 3 samples 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Low Recheck Cutoff High Recheck Pregnant
OD < 0.935 OD = 0.935 to 1.1 1.1 OD = 1.1 to 1.376 OD > 1.376

Tube Number Animal ID Response in Test, OD PSPB Range Days Post Breeding
1 12 1.094 Low Recheck 30
2 11 2.53 Pregnant 30
3 14 0.134 Open 30

Means the results fell into a range that are low enough to be questionable. Last one I had that came up that way retested open a month later.
The results are really accurate for opens. There's is more of a margin of error on breds if they have calved before and or recently

Various things can affect the protein level they look for in that test.

When a cow calves, the protein level is high and tails off - that's why she has to be post calving for a certain period to test. Also, if she WAS pregnant and miscarried or something, she could be declining in protein levels from that pregnancy but might have enough to still register. Finally, if she had just recently been bred - like very close to the 28 day required post breeding time period - the protein level may not have reached a high enough level to be adequately tested and "confirmed".

Or - the ever popular - there was just something wrong with that test.