Bills vs steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Boog337

Reaction score
I've done both as far as growing out selling bulls and steers.. just seeing what everyone else is doing.. is it worth banding/ cutting for the extra $per lbs.. here we are selling at 400lbs and weaning on trailer..

I've done both as far as growing out selling bulls and steers.. just seeing what everyone else is doing.. is it worth banding/ cutting for the extra $per lbs.. here we are selling at 400lbs and weaning on trailer..
IMO, not a one size fits all answer. I would say that, here, it wouldn't be worth it.

Some of the easiest money I have made was buying bull calves that size at the auction and steering them.
Only thing that I make more money on is horned bull calves .
In this area you are leaving a ton of money on the table by not using a green Cheerio .

There are occasions when those light bulls bring nearly what steers do but the majority of the time here there is $0.30-$0.40 per pound difference.

It's different by area, if you sell in singles or groups, auction barns or direct, and depending on you volume.

The only true way to know is to cut some and leave some. Keep up with your expenses and sell them. Look at the numbers and see if the profit, if any, is worth it to you. No one can tell you if a certain amount of money is worth it for you or not.

Last edited:
We also buy the bulls and make them steers and put together groups to sell... We normally buy them for $.20-.45 discounted price. This past winter bought several singles and 2's and 3's for 1.10 to 1.30 for 4 wts... within a week they are banded, vaxed, and on some corn silage in the barn and all the hay they will eat. Then when we need a group we can pick through and make a matching group. Mostly we know ahead who wants what... but we do have feed and some time in them... and the up side is they are bunk broke, and any sick ones are weeded out, treated, and the others just run together. A couple of quiet friendly ones that learn real quick, that the sound of the skid loader means " OMGoodness, FOOD is coming and this funny looking dude will give us something that tastes good, along with it... and the goofy acting ones mostly calm down to where they are not running out the barn the minute they hear or see you... Just on rough numbers, so far this year the mostly 1.25 / 4-450 wt bulls cost say 6-700... they will gain some weight... we sell most in the 475-550 range... and will bring 1.75-1.95.... and yes, that is reasonable as we always sell some at the local yard at least 1-2 times before we price and move the ones we have put together.
Under 550 or so, is the weight they pay the best for... and it does not pay to keep them longer to weigh more with the cost of feed and time... and our markets want the 550 size.... sold 15 @ 562 for 1.95 and 14 @ 471 for 2.00... could've kept the 4wts longer, but the market was wanting them and they have softened up a little now... and we needed the space...
So YES, in our cse getting the bulls and selling them as steers is the goal... buy them right and you make money...

Where is "here"? Where are you located? What breed(s) you got and how many are you talking about?

Chester South Carolina.. we run commerical black Angus.. we have 25 mom's now but are spread out on calving so usually sell a group of 5 or so..

Chester South Carolina.. we run commerical black Angus.. we have 25 mom's now but are spread out on calving so usually sell a group of 5 or so..
Then no, not gonna bring but a few cents more, if any, at 400lbs and trailer weaned., Then again, band them the week they are born, and you won;t have but maybe 10 cents in the band, and won;t need but 1 single edge razor blade if you cut.

Latest posts