Eared steers

Help Support CattleToday:

I hope they do well. But with the way the futures market is looking today I am glad I am not selling anything this week. Might be a good week to be buying. We will see.
I'm still a newbie when it comes to selling. I have been checking the market report and it was looking pretty good so I figured it was a good time to sell! I'm still learning to read future markets!

Attachments

• 3DD67715-1D6C-4369-A743-C0716887EFF3.jpeg
    3DD67715-1D6C-4369-A743-C0716887EFF3.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 26
Drovers reported on Friday that even though the futures were down that cash fat cattle were steady and feeder cattle were up. The LRP quote for today was steady when compared to last week. The futures is used by either the big boys (feed lots) or commodity traders (a friend calls them the shiny shoe boys). It is nothing for 99% to use but is a good way to look at trends in the market.

Well at least you're selling eared cattle in March. If sold in the fall you would have taken 40 to 50 cents a pound hit. Livingston like Raywood doesn't have enough buyers for this type of animal. Huntsville would be your closet best market.

Never tell the the barn to just mail your check, you will get screwed evertime.

Well at least you're selling eared cattle in March. If sold in the fall you would have taken 40 to 50 cents a pound hit. Livingston like Raywood doesn't have enough buyers for this type of animal. Huntsville would be your closet best market.

How so?

Thanks! I have tried Raywood and I liked the prices I got at Livingston better (plus having the sales on Saturday works better for us). I didnt know about Huntsville sales barn. Can you explain how do they screw us by mailing the check? 🤔

I have reserved my guess because it can vary big time by barn on cattle like that.

From my experience, here, selling some like that, I couldn't get the 170. They slide pretty good on any thing over 1/2. 3/4s sold right around the same as pure bloods. The black will bring a little more.

Right now, all bets are off with this market though so I hope they do better for you, than me.

Huntsville closed several years ago.

Aldaco, since you are in the Dayton area, your cows need to be Brahman influenced to be environmentally adapted. A Brahman bull on those type cows puts too much Brahman blood in the calf. The ideal calf for southeast Texas should be 1/4 Brahman blood calf.

Latest posts