Big round bales or big square bales?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have used both.We bought some big squares a few years back.They stack well in the barn and handle and feed well plus the many uses for the string .The down side for us was having to feed in a feeder instead of scattering out on the ground.If you could put them on a wagon and spread them out while someone drove they would be better for us.They must also be kept under cover until fed -rain will go right through them. Plus I don't have a 120 hp tractor to bale with or the 60,000 purchase money.

I use rounds and small squares mainly because that is what is used around here. Large squares just aren't common in this area. I might be a little blind, but only advantage I see for the big squares is less wasted space in the barn and for the same reason,a better solution for shipping hay long distances.

We use both......we use the round bales for feeding the whole herd together and the square bales for feeding one in the pen.

ALACOWMAN":2euvf1no said:
Keren":2euvf1no said:
Which do you prefer and why?
ROUND.. the ease of handling.storing, feeding

I'll go along with that. The only advantage I see to large squares is the ease of stacking, but then you have to have the right forks to work them so I prefer rounds.

Rounds. Easy handling, don't have to store in a shed, and easy to feed. You can also limit feed big rounds now a days as well, with the bale unrollers for pickups. If you want to feed your cows a small amount of alfalfa or other high quality hay to supplement, it is easy to only unroll a portion of a bale, and save the rest for later.

Big squares have their place, but not for most producers. They are more geared towards the big hay guys who grow and sell alot of alfalfa, and truck to destinations. Big square balers are very expensive.

we use the round bales.they are easier to handle an feed.i noticed this year that a guy in our area has a big square baler.an he was wanting todo custom baling.but dont know if he got any business or not.

Use round bales here, I think the big thing with big squares is it is easier to transport on big trucks. If I was selling allot of hay not locally, I would think about big squares, but not till then.

I prefer big squares over rounds - they are easier to feed, easier to know how much I'm feeding at any given time, easier to handle, easier to store, easier to stack, and they don't have to be stored in a shed/barn or tarped - although storing them in the shed, or tarping them does save the top layer.

When dealing w/afalfa I like the big squares,if your supplementing cows on winter pasture you can put out just about what ammount you want them to have.Grass hay I prefer rounds as I don't limit feed those.There easy to move and store for me.

Definitely round. I bought some big squares because I got a decent deal on them. Stacked them and thought man these are the real deal. Had a pretty heavy rain last week. Went to grinding them yesterday and had a huge mess. They soaked up every drop of water that hit em. I ground some rounds after I was done with the squares and they went right through no problem. The rounds are much better at shedding water.

Latest posts