Big bucks for lil ones

Help Support CattleToday:

We are in a dairy area even though there have been many dairies selling out there are still quite a few. Holstein bull calves bring 25-75 and the black crosses are bringing 100-250. Jersey calves, even heifers are in the 25-50 if they are lucky. So many of the dairies are using black bulls... angus, limi, simmental, on their lower end cows and using sexed heifer semen on the best cows. Not sure why the holstein bull calves are so cheap when holstein steers are up in the 1.00 /lb range now for 5-900 lbs. Of course the milk replacer is high, but they don't eat anymore than the black 1/2 bred calves and they don't bring alot more at the sale when sold as feeders because you can see the dairy in them and there are limited buyers for the crossbreds. Some take after the beef but some look like black holsteins too.
The market for the crossbred feeders has gotten a lot stronger lately. There are enough of them around to fill loads.

Black and black baldy bull and heifers sold for 375 in groups today. Groups of up to 9 calves in one shot.

Some slightly bigger calves brought 425

One newborn sold for 200.
I went up to 150 but decided I didn't want to risk it.

@Warren Allison did you see that Corriente pair w black Corriente bull calf sold for 350??? The pair weighed just under 600lbs
I crossed my arms and held on real tight!

Black and black baldy bull and heifers sold for 375 in groups today. Groups of up to 9 calves in one shot.

Some slightly bigger calves brought 425

One newborn sold for 200.
I went up to 150 but decided I didn't want to risk it.

@Warren Allison did you see that Corriente pair w black Corriente bull calf sold for 350??? The pair weighed just under 600lbs
I crossed my arms and held on real tight!
You should have gotten them! Did they say how old the cow was? Even if she was 15 years old, her next beef calf would bring twice what you paid for the pair. so if yopu go0t just one more out of her you'd be money ahead. And if you left the calf a bull, he'd bring $1000 once he was a long yearling....old enough to breed.

You should have gotten them! Did they say how old the cow was? Even if she was 15 years old, her next beef calf would bring twice what you paid for the pair. so if yopu go0t just one more out of her you'd be money ahead. And if you left the calf a bull, he'd bring $1000 once he was a long yearling....old enough to breed.
Cow was young. Think it was her first calf. I just sold a bunch of colored animals today. And I have NONE with horns aside from 1 jersey at home. Unfair advantage for that lil cow.

Gonna be doing a lil upgrading with a few nice black cows b4 long I hope!

O! And I watched a black heifer bottle calf sell for 360 bucks today! There was a bidding war on her. I stayed plum away from that.

Her mama was a black 5 year old, 1700lb marshmallow with no milk!!
And she sold for .85

Maybe there is hope that prices will stay up even with the insane increase in gas and fuel prices in the last 3 days. We are up over $.40 for regular gas and over $.60 for diesel since the first of last week... Jumped the most Wed through Friday night. Cattle prices were about the same on Friday as they had been the last few weeks... we are planning to ship this friday 11th... hope they hold a little longer.

Maybe there is hope that prices will stay up even with the insane increase in gas and fuel prices in the last 3 days. We are up over $.40 for regular gas and over $.60 for diesel since the first of last week... Jumped the most Wed through Friday night. Cattle prices were about the same on Friday as they had been the last few weeks... we are planning to ship this friday 11th... hope they hold a little longer.
I hope they hold a while too!
I've still got the black baldy heifers, tho I sold the reds today. They did ok for what they were.
I've got one yellow cow left. She's a big cow and would bring much more than I gave for her. Undecided on selling her. She's trouble free and does a good job aside from color.

Nice lil 160 lb black heifer only sold for 200 this afternoon. Too big for me to wrestle a bottle into. She was all fired up too!
Wondering, what do you think....could she have survived well without bottle feeding...nice sweet feed and lots of fresh water...some soft greens. 160 lbs might make it and go it alone if she had some of her mothers colostrum. I don't know i'm guessing and curious...is it a 50/50 gamble or less? I'd be willing to go for it.

Wondering, what do you think....could she have survived well without bottle feeding...nice sweet feed and lots of fresh water...some soft greens. 160 lbs might make it and go it alone if she had some of her mothers colostrum. I don't know i'm guessing and curious...is it a 50/50 gamble or less? I'd be willing to go for it.
I've bought several like that and fed em. Have 6 or so right now. 110lbs up to 300ish

I've been feeding high grain sweet feed or honey grain. These are all on creep feed and good Bermuda hay!

One of em. Lil Dumbo I call him was 110lbs or so when I got him. He probly about 250 now.

Markets flooded with babies I guess. Cull cow prices have split a lot of pairs.

55lb bull went for 80 bucks
70 lb heifer went for 180

I knew I should've made a phone call...

Latest posts