Between a ROCK and a HARD SPOT!

Help Support CattleToday:

BTW, I just can't resist mentioning that even as I type this, I have a fire burning in the fireplace, using alder and oak kindling to make a flat bed upon which to place a cast iron skillet. In this skillet there is an enormous sirloin steak sizzling, as the aroma floats through the house.....nothing like certified Greenwillowhereford beef. :banana: :banana: :banana:

I understand that I talk a little late, but hear me out; there is a top weight to slaugter a steer if you like to get good price per weight. If a small cow can produce sons big enough for that, she is big enough! If your cow has double this size you still have to slaughter her son at the same weight= less profit!
Pounds weaned per pounds mother cow is the issue here.
In the half year with the calf, both cows work becase big cows give alittle higher weaning weights, but the other half year there is just more cost.

Make sure you get cows that milk enough and good conformation and moderare frame, because rate of gain after weaning is not your problem.

ANAZAZI":1rqaqgoq said:
I understand that I talk a little late, but hear me out; there is a top weight to slaugter a steer if you like to get good price per weight. If a small cow can produce sons big enough for that, she is big enough! If your cow has double this size you still have to slaughter her son at the same weight= less profit!
Pounds weaned per pounds mother cow is the issue here.
In the half year with the calf, both cows work becase big cows give alittle higher weaning weights, but the other half year there is just more cost.

Make sure you get cows that milk enough and good conformation and moderare frame, because rate of gain after weaning is not your problem.
Well said, my friend! Well said!

DOC HARRIS

Which leads us back to what is moderate frame and is that really a valid measurement to compare one cow against another.

dun":3e5ns31e said:
Which leads us back to what is moderate frame and is that really a valid measurement to compare one cow against another.

I can't talk about frames because it has too many bad web connotations , but, that being said ..

The bottom line is ...

What does the animal/cow contribute to your bottom-ine net profit? At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what color the cow is, what breed it is. or who it's daddy was. What cow leaves you with more cents in the bank account after all the piranahas have taken their cut? That's the measure I would use to compare cows.

Jack :dunce:

dun":zlqigcp3 said:
Borrowing a word from caustic It's a P Poor way to describe a cow. I have seen a lot of awful big cows described as moderate framed. Seems like it's becoming a marketing tool. I get a far better picture just using weight, or big cow. It is body mass that is important. Height, or lack of, does not not contribute one thing either way to an animals efficiency, or quality. BCS all being the same.

I think that 900 to 1100 pounds is a good weight for a mother cow, and a good weaning weight is 600 pounds from such a cow. If the cow is bigger than her son when you slaughter it, the cow is too big. If the sons weigh more than their mothers at slaughter time, the cows are the right size, or else the slaugterhouse pays too little for huge bulls and steers. If purebred charolais and blonde dacuitaine finish at forty percent higher weight than other breeds, this makes them useful as terminal sires, but truly expensive to raise as mother cows in a ordinary environment and with the usual prizes. And this only because you can maintain ten big cows or forteen of the right size on the same fodder. And the end result per steer or bull is the same, he is to be slaughtered at the same weight regardless of breed, to get the best prize per pound. And a beef cow has to give a lot of milk, no in-between-milkers!

the reastaurant business is a niche market, perhaps representing 15% of the market tops. the market that drives the market is costco, walmart etc and taco bell and hamburger market, which represent more than 50% of the market. we are probably making too many good carcasses. america says one thing and does another, just look at the elections and illegal immigration. mccain?

knabe":2d5hp8p8 said:
the reastaurant business is a niche market, perhaps representing 15% of the market tops. the market that drives the market is costco, walmart etc and taco bell and hamburger market, which represent more than 50% of the market. we are probably making too many good carcasses. america says one thing and does another, just look at the elections and illegal immigration. mccain?

THE RESTAURANT MARKET IS A NICHE BUSINESS??????????????????? What the heck are you smoking?

I work for Sysco foods, their annual sales for 2007 are going to come in around 40 BILLION dollars, of that approx 6.4 BILLION dollars is red meat. Considering that although we are the largest foodservice company in the world. We only control less than 20% of the domestic market I believe we can safely assume that foodservice alone,(restuarants schools and health care ) amounts to close to 32 Billion Dollars. Doesn't sound like a NICHE market to me. Some of that may be instutional but none of it is retail. Walmart, costco,safeway, etc..

PS What does that have to do with John McCain. If it's him or ,Obama and the vegans ,I'll take McCain any day, and I don't even like his stance on gun control.

if the definition of a big cow is 1250+ when would this cow be wieghed? Before calving? after weaning? after calving?
p.s. Novtech
I went to the web site on cooking prime rib and I am drooling over my keyboard! :lol: The seven course meal is something I will have to duplicate. ( don't know what the first course is though :???:

George Monk":gy47m5dy said:
if the definition of a big cow is 1250+ when would this cow be wieghed? Before calving? after weaning? after calving?
p.s. Novtech
I went to the web site on cooking prime rib and I am drooling over my keyboard! :lol: The seven course meal is something I will have to duplicate. ( don't know what the first course is though :???:

In order to strike a comparative balance (and "balance" is of what most profitable activities are comprised), I consider that the definition of a "big Cow" is one which is of a Frame score of 6.5 and above, and will weigh 1400 pounds or more three months AFTER she delivers her third calf, or about Five and a half or or Six years old. That stabilizes her MATURE weight without taking into consideration her growth spurts, and/or her pregnancy status.

My idea of a good average herd cow weight is 1100 - 1250 lbs. Those cows will make you the most PROFIT! (Over the long haul! . . .and it must be a LONG haul to establish a workable "average".)

DOC HARRIS

MY two cents. NY strip 12-16 oz 1.5 -2 iches thick. Nice steak I know. That will make that steak 11.5 to 13.5 sq. inches. using 1.85 sq. in. per 100 lbs carcass you get a carcass 621 - 729 lbs. Lets see 63% dressing % is a weight range of 985 - 1158. Now 1.85 is a preatty well muscled steer. And even so accourding to Mike and some others will have to be sold at a discount. But any fine steak house would charge you out your CULO for this!!!

I have a theory that using moderate to high growth number bulls that have below average yearling height numbers should produce some efficient cattle for both feedlot and pasture cows. In the Angus this would be something like 85-95 pounds of yearling growth with a YH number of _.2 to .2. Of course the higher the accuracy the better.

Latest posts