Best time to buy

Help Support CattleToday:

okiemom100210

Reaction score
I have heard that the best time to buy cattle is in the fall. Is this correct? What is the average price for a cow right now?(not the best time to buy , I know) also, is it a good idea as a beginner to buy a bull( looking at a 22 month old registered one for 1500.00) thank you in advance!

that depends on alot cow's around this area are going any where from 750.00 to 1400.00 at the sale barn and that also depends on the cow's age and if she is bred or open. how many acres do you have?

been told buy the old guys around here Nov is best time to buy. cattle are the cheapest then. but thats when everyone is selling calves and getting rid of what they dont want to feed for the winter.

snickers":fypaxrqw said:
that depends on alot cow's around this area are going any where from 750.00 to 1400.00 at the sale barn and that also depends on the cow's age and if she is bred or open. how many acres do you have?

here they are going for 1400 to 1600 for a bred one in the 4-6 age range. even 1100 lb weighups here will bring 900 right now. did see a 900lb heferette bring $788 though.

the best time to buy is when you can find cows that fitts your needs,for the price you can afford to pay.as for the bull $1500 is a fair price if he fitts your needs.

bigbull338":1h6z5pfn said:
the best time to buy is when you can find cows that fitts your needs,for the price you can afford to pay.as for the bull $1500 is a fair price if he fitts your needs.

dont think there is anyway better way to put it than that. :tiphat:

In the traditional cycle Nov-Dec used to be the least expensive time to buy, as the cycle is pretty thoroughly screwed up that doesn;t necessarily hold true anymore.

If you have surplus hay, November and December are typically a good time to buy.

I disagree with the cull theory being discussed. People die all times of the year. You can drive to a sale barn 60 miles from your house and see an entire estate of cattle (good cattle) going through the sale barn. The kids live off somewhere in the city and all they want to do is liquidate. This is very common.

Other times folks pass on in the fall but the kids don't get home until a holiday such as Thanksgiving. Hired hands are running things until then.

Yes there are also animals that are on their last leg and people are dumping them because they do not want to feed hay. You really need to know the difference between culls and deals.

crimsoncrazy":2m3x9lx1 said:
What part of Oklahoma you live in?

It is real useful to the one seeking advice and the one giving it if everyone will put at least their general locale in their profile.

Caustic Burno":vfgyt4zl said:
I have done the best Nov, through the end of Dec. here when Bubba figures out he ain't got enough hay to make it.
Or the wife needs a new washing machine or needs a little extra cash for Christmas.

Cowdirt":3k0tpwea said:
crimsoncrazy":3k0tpwea said:

It is real useful to the one seeking advice and the one giving it if everyone will put at least their general locale in their profile.

how do you do this?

I know an old man told me one day " Patrick, I see a cow I like I buy it! You don't allways have an opportunity to buy a good cow......

A lot of times if there are not many buyers at the sales you can luck up and get decent deals. I would guess november-febuary is when everybody unloads their herd

Lon":3qn0no5v said:
Cowdirt":3qn0no5v said:
crimsoncrazy":3qn0no5v said:

how do you do this?

User control panel near the top left of the this page > profile > type in loacation in the box next to "location"

I am starting to wonder how much time is wasted on here every week with folks asking a new poster where they live. I think it should be a required field. :bang:

3waycross":1t6ax0z0 said:
I am starting to wonder how much time is wasted on here every week with folks asking a new poster where they live. I think it should be a required field. :bang:
You're like a dog with a bone! Just can;t let go...................

backhoeboogie":3ojk0gr6 said:
If you have surplus hay, November and December are typically a good time to buy.

I disagree with the cull theory being discussed. People die all times of the year. You can drive to a sale barn 60 miles from your house and see an entire estate of cattle (good cattle) going through the sale barn. The kids live off somewhere in the city and all they want to do is liquidate. This is very common.

Other times folks pass on in the fall but the kids don't get home until a holiday such as Thanksgiving. Hired hands are running things until then.

Yes there are also animals that are on their last leg and people are dumping them because they do not want to feed hay. You really need to know the difference between culls and deals.
boogie there arnt that meny cattle sell outs round here due to deaths.if there is a herd sellout over half of the cows aint worth taking back to the country.

Latest posts