Best time to buy

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":jk58pzk8 said:
3waycross":jk58pzk8 said:
I am starting to wonder how much time is wasted on here every week with folks asking a new poster where they live. I think it should be a required field. :bang:
You're like a dog with a bone! Just can;t let go...................

I totally agree! I'm new here, and really have no idea where anyone lives....without it being listed in the profile. The country is so diverse with cattle types, as well as the differences in how cattle are handled. Thanks for pointing this out!

SRBeef":l9pql65l said:
I think there is a different set of rules and suggestions for the folks that know cattle and can go to the sale barn early evaluate them etc than the rules for a beginner.

For a beginner rather than buying a bunch of cows at the sale barn, I would think your chances of cattle success are better if you buy from a local breeder with a good reputation and who raises cattle the way you want to and for the end use you want (show or beef or weaned calves etc).

Buy a few higher quality (and more expensive) cows from a breeder you trust rather than a larger number of lower cost but unknowns at a sale barn. Tell the breeder what your needs are and let him recommend which cows he suggests you consider... Some breeders tend to sell older cows also. an older cow that knows how to have a calf can be especially useful for a beginner.

Less is often more. jmho. Jim

Jim you are dead on the salebarn is no place for the rookie. You had better have a discerning eye and leave your rose colored glasses at the house. You make some very good points for the guy wanting to start out and I agree if he is going to go it alone.
He can also find a good mentor that knows the barn to buy him a set of good cows for less investment to learn on.
The rookie needs to be following everystep watching and learning. This is a rough business and if you want to survive for the long haul has got to learn to be a buyer, seller,vet,mechanic,welder,pipefitter,machinist,rodeo clown,grass farmer etc.
For the person starting out it would be almost imposible for a person to gleen enough knowledge to be sucessful with out a good mentor and it not cost an arm and leg. One of the first lessons to learn is controlling input cost as that is all the control you have.
Then they have to learn grass in front of the cow bull behind.

What is your experience buying at on farm dispersal aucton (where they are usually 25 to 75 cows) vs. sales barns bred cows sales (where they usually include 3 or 4 herd dispersals totaling 200 head, plus the culls)?

Stocker Steve":3aknw298 said:
What is your experience buying at on farm dispersal aucton (where they are usually 25 to 75 cows) vs. sales barns bred cows sales (where they usually include 3 or 4 herd dispersals totaling 200 head, plus the culls)?

I actually don't like it as well as the barn for commerical cattle as I am not confident the info is legit. The ones I went to the kids were selling out dad's stuff and the cows were milling in the pen being sorted and sold off.
Registered sale I have bought from several times and have been well pleased.

Caustic Burno":23ifjss4 said:
Stocker Steve":23ifjss4 said:

I actually don't like it as well as the barn for commerical cattle as I am not confident the info is legit. The ones I went to the kids were selling out dad's stuff and the cows were milling in the pen being sorted and sold off.
Registered sale I have bought from several times and have been well pleased.

It would be hard for me to drag a trailer 50 miles to see "25 to 75 cows" in the first place. I can go see a thousand or more at the sale barn.

ny_grass":19arp76e said:
Caustic Burno":19arp76e said:
On good grass a S/S can give you years more of production.

Son it's all about the grass

What's an S/S?
Short & Solid. Refering to the condition of the teeth

dun":1y0denb9 said:
ny_grass":1y0denb9 said:
Caustic Burno":1y0denb9 said:
On good grass a S/S can give you years more of production.

Son it's all about the grass

What's an S/S?
Short & Solid. Refering to the condition of the teeth
So, S/S would be a middle age cow (the teeth are short, having been worn down with age) but otherwise in good shape?

S/S means exactly that. The cows teeth are adequate for her to provide nutrition to her body and properly nurse a calf. Some of these gals are very well suited for 5 or better calves yet in their life without missing a beat.

The best deal on cattle I have ever struck was a heavy bred S/S who calved on 10 1/2 month intervals and kept an excellent BCS. She nursed nice calves. I still have a daughter from her in the herd. While nursing her last calf she started looking a bit poor. The calf was weaned and she went to the sale barn. She fetched about $270 more than I originally paid for her.

Veteran cows know the ropes, how to care for calves etc. Mortality is higher in calving. Some people sell great cows simply because they've "never kept one past 10 years old..."

Cows on extremely sandy forage may sustain a lot more teeth grinding and it makes a difference. Forages make a difference. There is no set cut and dried age for everyone.