Best Skid Steer for Farm Use

Help Support CattleToday:

I would say white, I guess. Didn't appear to be low on coolant, oil didn't appear to be milky when I checked it last (after it was parked last I used it). And the engine temp light has never come on, neither has the oil pressure light. I'm *assuming* the sensors work as the lights come on briefly when you turn the key on.

Like I've said, saying it's been poorly maintained is a generous statement, so I doubt the air filters have been replaced as long as my wife's grandpa has had it. I was just going to start there in case they were clogged with dirt and the motor is just starving for air.

I'm only a few years new to all this machinery/tractors. I've been around the farm since my wife and I started dating 15 years ago, but only three or so years ago did I jump both feet in. We do everything now, now that they're not able to.

Fix the old one! I had a old one same scenario, bought a new new holland and it ran great for a year, then the sensors and electronic crap went south. Dealer would not honor warranty( electrica)! You could spend 5k$ repairing the ole gal and be better off

JHALL":5bz759z8 said:
I would say white, I guess. Didn't appear to be low on coolant, oil didn't appear to be milky when I checked it last (after it was parked last I used it). And the engine temp light has never come on, neither has the oil pressure light. I'm *assuming* the sensors work as the lights come on briefly when you turn the key on.

Like I've said, saying it's been poorly maintained is a generous statement, so I doubt the air filters have been replaced as long as my wife's grandpa has had it. I was just going to start there in case they were clogged with dirt and the motor is just starving for air.

I'm only a few years new to all this machinery/tractors. I've been around the farm since my wife and I started dating 15 years ago, but only three or so years ago did I jump both feet in. We do everything now, now that they're not able to.

White smoke is usually fuel related.

Thick blue smoke under load that stinks like oil is what you need to watch out for.

Atimm693":22qppqoz said:
JHALL":22qppqoz said:

Thick blue smoke under load that stinks like oil is what you need to watch out for.
That's exactly the opposite of how I view an engine problem. White smoke is oil, black smoke is fuel.

True Grit Farms":1vkm28ku said:
Atimm693":1vkm28ku said:
JHALL":1vkm28ku said:

That's exactly the opposite of how I view an engine problem. White smoke is oil, black smoke is fuel.

White smoke is created when there is not enough heat to create combustion, fuel is atomized but not burnt and spit out as vapor.

Black smoke in moderate amounts is just excess fuel in a properly running engine.

Blue or gray is usually always oil, although sometimes a dribbling injector can cause darker smoke.

Atimm693":1qizha9t said:
True Grit Farms":1qizha9t said:
Atimm693":1qizha9t said:

White smoke is created when there is not enough heat to create combustion, fuel is atomized but not burnt and spit out as vapor.

Black smoke in moderate amounts is just excess fuel in a properly running engine.

Blue or gray is usually always oil, although sometimes a dribbling injector can cause darker smoke.
Have you ever started a diesel engine on straight oil?

True Grit Farms":3q6opck5 said:
Atimm693":3q6opck5 said:
True Grit Farms":3q6opck5 said:

Have you ever started a diesel engine on straight oil?

They all smoke white on a cold start because of what I explained earlier, type of fuel doesn't matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5wiAtjDn5A

Latest posts