Best Predator Rifle?

Help Support CattleToday:

I wacked a coyote once with a 375 H&H once. TX heart shot, almost turned him inside out. But I sure wouldn't classify it as a varmint round.

dun

dun":1jy4ggyd said:
I wacked a coyote once with a 375 H&H once. TX heart shot, almost turned him inside out. But I sure wouldn't classify it as a varmint round.

dun

Dun , talk about extremes. Here's one for ya!

The largest Grizzly bear ever killed was held by a young native girl up until 1958. Her and a friend were picking berries in a brushed out power pole right of way. When the bear walked out in the open the two girls climbed up on top of a brush pile. Armed with only a single shot 22. The girl shot the bear in the side of the head as it circled the brush pile, killing the bear with a single shoot. The bullet was a rimfire 22 long.

Rod

Bullet placement is alwasy the key. You could probably kill a moose with a pea shooter, but I sure wouldn't use it as standard fare.
We were actually out just goofing around with it and shooting jack rabbits, the coyote was just a plus. Don;t recommend it as a jack caliber either.

dun

MR3":hkujcq5x said:
dun":hkujcq5x said:

dun

Dun , talk about extremes. Here's one for ya!

The largest Grizzly bear ever killed was held by a young native girl up until 1958. Her and a friend were picking berries in a brushed out power pole right of way. When the bear walked out in the open the two girls climbed up on top of a brush pile. Armed with only a single shot 22. The girl shot the bear in the side of the head as it circled the brush pile, killing the bear with a single shoot. The bullet was a rimfire 22 long.

Rod

A great friend of mine out in West Texas is extremely serious about prairie dogs. They get into some very exotic high-velocity small-caliber rifles. Custom barrels, optics that you could look at the moons of Saturn with, etc. The bullets are Teflon coated and run well above 4,000 FPS. RPMs are so high that they run the charges right up to the point where the bullet disintegrates and then back off just a little. Those rifles can do some amazing things. They are doing precision shooting at 600+ yards. It's pretty impressive.

Craig-TX

It ain't all equipment. It takes some serious effort to be good at those kind of ranges. When we were in the desert 400-450 was considered a pretty normal shot at a jack rabbit or a deer. Afteer 5 years of not shooting that kind of distance, I'm hard pressed to shoot tiny groups at 300 yards.

dun

D.R. Cattle":21q5j9mp said:
I've always been interested in that type of shooting. I'm just not willing to make the investments necessary. I'd rather buy heifers.

Craig-TX":2s7tmulf said:
A great friend of mine out in West Texas is extremely serious about prairie dogs. They get into some very exotic high-velocity small-caliber rifles. Custom barrels, optics that you could look at the moons of Saturn with, etc. The bullets are Teflon coated and run well above 4,000 FPS. RPMs are so high that they run the charges right up to the point where the bullet disintegrates and then back off just a little. Those rifles can do some amazing things. They are doing precision shooting at 600+ yards. It's pretty impressive.

Craig-TX
the problems in those calibers is ricochet effect in bullets

Latest posts