Best ear tag for staying in?

Help Support CattleToday:

rynophiliac

Reaction score
In your experience what is the best ear tag as far as staying in the ear? I have been using one piece Z-tags which work well but every year I have a few cow loose one. I really like being able to identify my cows and so I have started putting one tag in each ear just in case one falls out I can still ID the cow

I like the Ritchey tags have had very few come out. Never have to worry about the numbers fading away. You can use Y-Tex or Allflex buttons with them. I use the Y-Tex. B&G

Black and Good":14kly64j said:
I like the Ritchey tags have had very few come out. Never have to worry about the numbers fading away. You can use Y-Tex or Allflex buttons with them. I use the Y-Tex. B&G

I like the Ritchey tags also.

Z-Tags are the only ones I have found to stay in. Only way they come out is if they tear out.

Buttons break on 2-piece tags and the back tabs on Allflex's 'A-Tag' break and they fall out - poor plastic, which Allflex is famous for and the only way they can keep profits up.

I've used Z-Tags, Allflex, Duflex, Y-Tex and Ritchey tags in the past.

Aaron":28ecj401 said:
Z-Tags are the only ones I have found to stay in. Only way they come out is if they tear out.

Buttons break on 2-piece tags and the back tabs on Allflex's 'A-Tag' break and they fall out - poor plastic, which Allflex is famous for and the only way they can keep profits up.

Same here. Z Tags all the way. If you put your numbers on with a tagging pen put the number on, allow it to dry, then apply one more coat......numbers won't fade.

We use Y-tex in the babys until they are weaned and either go to the feedlot or are kept as replacements. We reuse them every year so cutting the button is handy. For permanent we use Z-tags now. Only lost one in the past 5 years and she ripped her ear from the tag out the end. The Y-tex the buttons would break after a couple of years. The ink we use on bothe of the tags lasts for 5 years so far, since we went to z-tags and started using it on them. Have used it to refresh the preprinted numbers on the y-tex tags too.

TexasBred":11ypxlac said:
Aaron":11ypxlac said:

Same here. Z Tags all the way. If you put your numbers on with a tagging pen put the number on, allow it to dry, then apply one more coat......numbers won't fade.

I also throw them in the microwave on high for 20 seconds before doing the 2nd coat.

Also, use only Z-Tag pens as they are better quality ink. Have used them and Allflex pens on both Z-Tags and Allflex Tags. Allflex ink will fade out within 3 years.

Stocker Steve":3d740sju said:
Aaron":3d740sju said:
also throw them in the microwave on high for 20 seconds before doing the 2nd coat.

Microwave to dry or ?
Have you tried cleaning and prepping them with a rubbing alcohol wipe ?

To dry and to heat the tag to help ink penetration. Never tried prepping them.

Some years ago I bought some ear tags from eBay, and included in the stuff was some Allflex male buttons that were made like a small ear tag (maybe 1-1/2" wide x 2" long) instead of the round buttons. I have used those on the heifers I keep for the last 3 or 4 years, and so far haven't had one get lost. When those were running low I took one of them to my local feed store and had them order some more for me. They weren't cheap, but they don't fall out.

I'm not going out to the barn now, but tomorrow I'll try to remember to take a picture of one and post it.

Stocker Steve":384ibidh said:
Aaron":384ibidh said:
also throw them in the microwave on high for 20 seconds before doing the 2nd coat.
Microwave to dry or ?
To kind of bake it in or cook it on before it dries.
Someone had mentioned doing it on here a couple years ago. So I tried it, 15-20 seconds to make ink last longer.
I think it helps, but only been doing it a couple of years, so not certain.

How the heck did both Aaron and Rafter posts beat mine in by such a wide margin?
Neither were there when I entered. My connection must have been on vacation.

Large Y Tex on bulls & cows, one piece Z Tags on the calves. Occasionally lose the former, never the latter. Always swab with alcohol prior to inking (do the entire batch when they arrive and write "clean" on the bag so I know they're good to go). The Z Tag pen is definitely the longest lasting ink amongst all such markers. A second ink application is prudent, even with the Z markers. I too give a quick zap in the microwave. Word of caution…micro's vary in power and its easy to melt and/or cause the edges to permanently curl. I keep any tags I've misprinted/screwed up for testing purposes.

Last but not least, I use this ink https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07b10-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5 on the adult tags. If done correctly, the ink etches into the tag, one application is more than sufficient and as a rule, it rarely fades over time and remains very legible for 10 years or more. Downside, its VERY tricky to use. Takes some practice in determining how much pressure to apply to get the ball tip adequately charged and the ink flowing smoothly. Too little and the ink balks, too much and you're likely to wind up with an irritating blob. Which is another reason I keep my past "bloopers"…handy for "warm up" practice before marking a new tag. I'm sure you're all thinking whoa way too much trouble but I guarantee when done correctly, the tag will be highly readable and for a very long time.

I hang mine in front of a infared heater to dry. Then give another coat to the Heifer's tags. No need for second coat on the Steer's Tag as they won't need them in the freezer! LOL B&G

Stocker Steve":3c8crx4n said:
Are you recommending Y Tex ink in a Z Tag pen?
Not clear if your question was directed at my post and/or my comments were confusing. There's two different kinds of tag inking products available…assorted brands of metal barreled, felt tipped markers similar to what you'd find in office supply stores and the decidedly different Y Tex brand liquid ink that comes in a small 1 oz plastic squeeze bottle. The former are easy/quick to use with the Z tag marker being the most durable…the latter is challenging to master but exceptionally long lasting.

We've had good luck with the Z-tags. And usig their black marker on yellow tags is still legible after 5+ years. In the last year our cows have lost 3 Z-tags. But I attribute alot of the tag loss to the fact that we're running the cows in the woods now.

Rafter S":1zclbvqm said:
Some years ago I bought some ear tags from eBay, and included in the stuff was some Allflex male buttons that were made like a small ear tag (maybe 1-1/2" wide x 2" long) instead of the round buttons. I have used those on the heifers I keep for the last 3 or 4 years, and so far haven't had one get lost. When those were running low I took one of them to my local feed store and had them order some more for me. They weren't cheap, but they don't fall out.

I'm not going out to the barn now, but tomorrow I'll try to remember to take a picture of one and post it.

Here it is. I have never had a cow lose a tag with one of these used instead of the round button.

The ink I use on all of the tags is Super Mark ear Tag Pen from Destron Fearing. Stuff sort of etches into the tag. I put on 2 coats letting it dry in between coats. The oldest tags we still have in use are the letter U, that wood be 2008. They're still as clear and dark as the day I put them in.

Latest posts