Best Cross Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

I dont mean to brag but the best weve had were lim/angus,beefmaster/santa guertrudis,and simbra/angus or simbra/limi, there fertility is amazing, i had a lim/angus that would drop a calf every 10 months,never late,never skipped.

thats my 2 cents

So you are telling us you keep the bulls in year-round?

mtnman

I like a Santa Gerturudis X Hereford (red motley faced cow) or a Santa Gertudis or Beefmaster X Red Angus cow. This combination can be bred to about anything for a good calf and they are red which tolerates the Texas heat better.

Arnold Ziffle":3k82l1l6 said:
Depends on location and other factors, but way down south it is sure hard to beat a Brahman x English cow bred to a Continental bull. That sort of three-way combination would appear to maximize heterosis. I guess just based on personal preference, experiences or prejudices lots of folks go with Beefmaster, Brangus and/or tigerstripe type cows bred to Charolais bulls with good results. Hard to argue against the type of results Mike just cited. But it seems like about 15 years ago in my neck of the woods lots of folks used Simmental in place of the Char. They both used to be thought of as cow killers (or at least heifer killers) but times and bulls have changed a lot.

http://beef-mag.com/mag/beef_systematic_crossbreeding/
IMO - This answer is the most informative throughout this entire post. Check out the website! "Like Begets Like!" "Breed The Best to The Best!" These PRECEPTS worked from Day 1, and they still work! :shock: Most of the troubles encountered by Breeders is a result of not breeding the correct Genetics in BOTH the Bull and the Cow in the environment in which they are expected to survive and THRIVE.

"EPD" may also be interpreted to mean -"EXCEPTIONALLY PRODUCED DUPLICATIONS."

The reader's of these posts are working at it.

Quad L Cattle":13nufhyb said:
I dont mean to brag but the best weve had were lim/angus,beefmaster/santa guertrudis,and simbra/angus or simbra/limi, there fertility is amazing, i had a lim/angus that would drop a calf every 10 months,never late,never skipped.

thats my 2 cents
You can't beat that for production! If you've Got it - Flaunt it! And it's worth more than just 2 cents.

I have 40 GelbviehX Angus cross females and 1 Salers show heifer who is a grand champion female. I have pics of her if anyone would like to see her. At the present time I am using a salers bull on the Gelbvieh X Angus cross balancers. We are seeing weaning weights of 650-750 pounds off bermuda grass and cotton seed and soybean meal. They are really coming on. They are getting their growth from the Salers bull. Our average birth weights are about 65 pounds. The Gelbvieh by angus cross females are very docile as is the salers female and bull we have. All the females in our program have an abundant supply of milk and good beef conformation. The salers female I have weighed in at 1100 at 1 year of age. At the present time she is at 1450 she will be 2 in january and calve in january as well. The gelbvieh also seem to make the females mature quicker and breed back quicker as well. All in all I am very satisified and in fact swear by the balancers and salers. This three way cross seems to work very well. They work well in really hot weather which it gets hoooooooooot here in summer and work well in cold weather. It gets really coooooooooold here in winter. I can tell you this. This summer has been very hard to control flies. I went out 2 weeks ago and the cows had flies all over them. I want you to know that there was not a runny eye in the whole lot. That says alot about the toughness of these cattle. Again I swear by them and would not use anything else. I do plan however on eventually using these balancer females as donor cows and use the eggs from the salers female and sperm from a salers bull to make me a registered salers herd.

I like 1/2 to 3/4 Red Angus with the other being Hereferd. The brockel face cows are some of the best cows out there and the steers feed and grade very well.

I also really like to feed 1/2 Red Angus and 1/2 Charlais. They are some great feed converters and grade surprisingly high.

The Red Angus breed really crosses very well with any other breed you put on them. Does the same as Black Angus, maybe even a little better, but you won't get any greys or rat tails with Red Angus like you will with Black Angus.

I know alot of souther ranchers that use Red Angus and Bramma. They say that really works too.

I have 40 GelbviehX Angus cross females and 1 Salers show heifer who is a grand champion female. I have pics of her if anyone would like to see her. At the present time I am using a salers bull on the Gelbvieh X Angus cross balancers. We are seeing weaning weights of 650-750 pounds off bermuda grass and cotton seed and soybean meal. They are really coming on. They are getting their growth from the Salers bull. Our average birth weights are about 65 pounds. The Gelbvieh by angus cross females are very docile as is the salers female and bull we have. All the females in our program have an abundant supply of milk and good beef conformation. The salers female I have weighed in at 1100 at 1 year of age. At the present time she is at 1450 she will be 2 in january and calve in january as well. The gelbvieh also seem to make the females mature quicker and breed back quicker as well. All in all I am very satisified and in fact swear by the balancers and salers. This three way cross seems to work very well. They work well in really hot weather which it gets hoooooooooot here in summer and work well in cold weather. It gets really coooooooooold here in winter. I can tell you this. This summer has been very hard to control flies. I went out 2 weeks ago and the cows had flies all over them. I want you to know that there was not a runny eye in the whole lot. That says alot about the toughness of these cattle. Again I swear by them and would not use anything else. I do plan however on eventually using these balancer females as donor cows and use the eggs and sperm from a salers bull to make me a registered salers herd.

CCMTN wrote:
I do plan however on eventually using these balancer females as donor cows and use the eggs and sperm from a salers bull to make me a registered salers herd.

SAY WHAT???????????????????

greenwillowherefords":1ymtg6ab said:
MikeC":1ymtg6ab said:
CCMTN wrote:
I do plan however on eventually using these balancer females as donor cows and use the eggs and sperm from a salers bull to make me a registered salers herd.

SAY WHAT???????????????????

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was waiting for that reaction!

I can't wait for the explanation, GWH! :roll:

Lol what I meant to say was I was gonna to flush the salers female and use the gelbvieh by angus crosses as donor cows. Then I was gonna ai them to my salers bull. Now you get the picture im sure. I was doing like 15 other things online when I typed that the other day.

CommercialCattleManTN":dhabnjhm said:
Lol what I meant to say was I was gonna to flush the salers female and use the gelbvieh by angus crosses as donor cows. Then I was gonna ai them to my salers bull. Now you get the picture im sure. I was doing like 15 other things online when I typed that the other day.

I still think you got it wrong.

Don't you mean that you are gonna use the balancers as "Recips"?

Make that 16. :roll:

CommercialCattleManTN":muwzfemc said:
Yeah that would be it. Recips is the word i was looking for.

THanks much
Have you ever flushed a cow? You gonna flush the saler heifer after she calves?

Let me clue you in.....it's expensive, a lot of work, and you aren't guaranteed anything for your efforts. I have flushed cows and haven't gotten one egg. Then again, I have gotten 20. You never know.

Im not gonna do it Im gonna have an ai tech do it. I realize how expensive it is. Its even more expensive than buying a straw from a good bull. Which is what we did. She is bred to the genesis bull from gg&t cattle company out of quinter kansas. That is irrelevant though. Yes I know that there is no guarantee. We have flushed our balancer crosses before and got eggs from some and others we didnt get jack didley so I realize its touch and go.

Latest posts