Best Cross Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
I know that there will be some controversy on this one but I still want to see what ya'll think the best cross breed is. I am not going to do the poll because I know that the possibilities are endless! If you don't have a "common" cross breed I would like to here what it is and why you have it. THanks Kaneranch

Angus X Hereford is pretty good
Brangus X Braford is ok
Angus X Hoistin are good for a recip

I really don't know but that is some pretty good one's I am in to purebred.

i prefer the 5/8 x 3/8 braford, brangus cross i would like to try the simbrah someday for mama cows.

Except in the hot and/or steamy areas, I think the Gelbvieh X Hereford would be just about the best of all worlds.

dun

dun what do you are any one think about a balancer bull on bra x cows? been thinking about a balancer for a couple years now have just sold herd sire need to replace next spring.

ALACOWMAN":1iicsa6s said:
dun what do you are any one think about a balancer bull on bra x cows? been thinking about a balancer for a couple years now have just sold herd sire need to replace next spring.

No thoughts. Probably depends on what the brahman cross is and what your herd needs and how you market the calves or replacements

dun

Hmm, an interesting question. Here goes...

Charolais x Hereford - a great cross all around, and in my experience they make a heck of a mama cow when used with a Red Angus bull.

Hereford x Red Angus - nothing beats a red (or black if you're so inclined) baldie as a steer or replacement heifer

Beefmaster x Hereford - surprisingly great animal and another great mama for use with a Red Angus bull.

Don't have a lot of experience outside of those mentioned above, but the Aussie Gelbvieh website has some pics of Gelbvieh x Herefords that dun mentioned, and they look astounding.

I have some brangus cattle that get bred to Char bulls.
High percentage of choice carcasses that yield 1 & 2's.
Get there fast with good "Cost of Gain".

The brangusXhereford cattle I have get bred to Chars also.
Their calves do just as well, but slightly less weight. Slightly.

Depends on location and other factors, but way down south it is sure hard to beat a Brahman x English cow bred to a Continental bull. That sort of three-way combination would appear to maximize heterosis. I guess just based on personal preference, experiences or prejudices lots of folks go with Beefmaster, Brangus and/or tigerstripe type cows bred to Charolais bulls with good results. Hard to argue against the type of results Mike just cited. But it seems like about 15 years ago in my neck of the woods lots of folks used Simmental in place of the Char. They both used to be thought of as cow killers (or at least heifer killers) but times and bulls have changed a lot.

http://beef-mag.com/mag/beef_systematic_crossbreeding/

up here in the north country we have had great luck with simmental- angus crosses- and with some herford mixed in are also good. Awsome growth and great mothers for the most part. just have to pick good bulls and put them with good cows.

Dan.

In a crossbred situation, I like red baldies, (red AngusXHereford)best, followed by black baldies. Here in OK and farther south, the super baldie is hard to beat. That is a BrangusXHereford. I've heard a lot of good things about Char-Hereford crosses, and am feeding out a slightly Char influenced tan baldie that was sired by a Hereford bull I raised. We'll see how he butchers. SimmentalXHereford works quite well, and can now be had in black baldie versions thanks to a hint of Angus influence in the Sim program.

Also would like to add that I believe a line-bred bull with the kind of traits you want will have more prepotency to stamp his calves with those traits no matter what you breed him to.

dun":2hvqafsc said:
Except in the hot and/or steamy areas, I think the Gelbvieh X Hereford would be just about the best of all worlds.

dun

I guess I should have mentioned that the majority of ours are red baldys, i.e Polled Hereford X Red Angus and vice versa

dun

From my limited experience, it seems the best cross is an english x continental (just pick your favorite from each one and get something you like to look at) to achieve the most hybrid vigor.

(Hi Dun, I went to Graham School last month and I thoroughly enjoyed it and I thank you for recommending that school to me.)

MoGal":30pt4o0l said:
From my limited experience, it seems the best cross is an english x continental (just pick your favorite from each one and get something you like to look at) to achieve the most hybrid vigor.

(Hi Dun, I went to Graham School last month and I thoroughly enjoyed it and I thank you for recommending that school to me.)

Glad you enjoyed it!

dun

Hereford x Longhorn momma cow, topped with Black Angus for terminal sire.

Best low input, high quality output system there is.

mtnman

Latest posts