Best bull for Simmangus heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

vwb100

Reaction score
Simmangus heifers seem to be a pretty hot item at many of the replacement stock sales. From what I read they have some pretty good credentials for the feedlot and as broodstock. My question is, could you run a Simmangus bull over these cows to continue the line of Simmangus cattle without losing hybrid vigor ? And if it is not wise to breed Simmangus cattle with a Simmangus bull, what would be a good match. As background information, the steers would posslbly go to the feed lot with retained ownership, would like to keep some heifers and sell some, and we are located in Alabama.

No you can;t. A true F1 when bred to the a F1 of the same make up gets you a F2. There is somthing about recombining genes that decreases heterosis

dun

A purebred Simmental bull on a Simmangus female will still give you some heterosis, not as much if you used a 3rd breed. The thing is that the crossbred COW will give you added performance no matter what bull you breed her to. An F1 is supposed to be more fertile, give more milk, live longer, easier keeper. So with the crossbred cow, you are money ahead. With a Simmangus cow, she can be registered as a 1/2 blood Simmental, and if you breed her back to Simmental bull, you get 3/4% registerable offspring.
Super great cross whether it is Red Angus on Red Simmental or Black on Black.

I agree with Jeanne on this post...We run a commerical herd of simangus cows and use PB simmi bull on them. I also live in the south and the 3/4 blood seem to do very well in the enviroment here.... We sell replacement heifers and a few bulls here and there. When people come to look they are always pulled to the 3/4 bloods first.

I saw some calves from simi-angus cows and a limi bull. I was very impressed. They grew like fungus. Big stout, beefy steer calves.

Most of our cows are simangus. I am really are happy with them. They are bred back to angus bulls. I thought about using pb simm. bulls, but we finish out all of our calves and sell on the grid, so the angus in them should help them finish a little easier and grade a little better. Just a thought since you said you might retain ownership with the calves.

Not speaking from experiance, but I am going to put a Hereford bull in the future on our simangus calves we are keeping over the next few years. Just seems like a good third cross that will work at the sale barn and retained heifers.

aplusmnt":3mcddk3w said:
Not speaking from experiance, but I am going to put a Hereford bull in the future on our simangus calves we are keeping over the next few years. Just seems like a good third cross that will work at the sale barn and retained heifers.

I would have to agree totally w/APLUS.
added mothering ability/longevity/feed efficiency/ and maybe even calm them down a little.

DFF":1zq2sg7f said:
aplusmnt":1zq2sg7f said:

I would have to agree totally w/APLUS.
added mothering ability/longevity/feed efficiency/ and maybe even calm them down a little.

If you want all of the above then you should try a Red Poll bull.

vwb100":2qaobs4p said:
Simmangus heifers seem to be a pretty hot item at many of the replacement stock sales. From what I read they have some pretty good credentials for the feedlot and as broodstock. My question is, could you run a Simmangus bull over these cows to continue the line of Simmangus cattle without losing hybrid vigor ? And if it is not wise to breed Simmangus cattle with a Simmangus bull, what would be a good match. As background information, the steers would posslbly go to the feed lot with retained ownership, would like to keep some heifers and sell some, and we are located in Alabama.
could also go with a brangus . got a few 3/4 black simm cows that i used a brangus on last year makes a heck of a calf

P1010824.jpg

Here's a Hereford calf out of a Simm/Angus heifer at my nephews-we randon bred a few head Hereford in the middle of his synch program last year-they calved well. It's some shameless self promotion but I own the bull and he's leased to Genex- F-R 552 Lad 20P.

P1010827.jpg

Here's another one-of course he was hoping for heifers and got all bulls. Were going to use him quite a bit heavier this year at his place.