Best bang-for-the-buck used tractor to haul round bales?

Help Support CattleToday:

John SD":3ait1od3 said:
My point exactly. 6" of snow is really not much as long as it doesn't blow. A 3 point blade might work with 6" or less, but is useless with 12" or more. What about that 4' drift right square in the gate you have to go through :?:
Yeah, I didn't notice location being SD. You guys get a lot more now than us, and like you said, once it gets deep the rear blade isn't so helpful.

John SD":25lkqf5o said:
WalnutCrest":25lkqf5o said:
Going to go look at a 656 Farmall on Thursday AM. All I know is it has a 3pt on it and he says its in good working shape.

656 was a good tractor and there were quite a few around back in the day. Almost all had Farmhand F11s on them. Probably because back then most IH dealers were also Farmhand dealers. Keep us posted :tiphat:

The only reason I'm going to see it is because I know he takes care of his equipment; a Farmall probably wouldn't have been my #1 choice.

We'll see how proud of his tractor he is ...

1966 Farmall 656 Tractor

GF0810-97180_1.jpg

True Grit Farms":3rcd6rmh said:
jltrent":3rcd6rmh said:
If you are pretty handy with a wrench and you want to get your boys lots of experience working on equipment learning engines then get a Belarus. They are heavy and reasonable priced.

hqdefault.jpg

This is a joke?

I have to confess I thought it was a joke too. I was going to add "......or a Zetor."

WalnutCrest":7lxn1593 said:
John SD":7lxn1593 said:
WalnutCrest":7lxn1593 said:
Going to go look at a 656 Farmall on Thursday AM. All I know is it has a 3pt on it and he says its in good working shape.

656 was a good tractor and there were quite a few around back in the day. Almost all had Farmhand F11s on them. Probably because back then most IH dealers were also Farmhand dealers. Keep us posted :tiphat:

The only reason I'm going to see it is because I know he takes care of his equipment; a Farmall probably wouldn't have been my #1 choice.

We'll see how proud of his tractor he is ...

I am assuming the 656 is a diesel :?: One neighbor had a 656 gas. NIce tractor, but a thirsty beast :eek:

IMO, especially considering the vintage of tractor you are looking at, the care and maintenance a particular tractor has had over the years trumps the color :idea:

Dunno if it's gas or diesel. We'll find out more in about 40 hours.

Apparently, my banker is selling a Farmall 666. It sounds like hell on wheels. ;)

That Farmall 656 is beautiful jltrent.

I know the bale in the picture isn't a 5x6 that I currently feed and your referring to feeding, but I picked this up for 5k from an estate 2 years ago, the 4wd is priceless. It's technically a David Brown but has a case hood. One thing I would keep in mind is to keep an eye on tire size, the taller tire the more clearance you will have handling your round bales. That would be the only downfall to my David Brown, the 30 inch rear tires are kind of short.

uplandnut":1eorysyg said:
That Farmall 656 is beautiful jltrent.

I know the bale in the picture isn't a 5x6 that I currently feed and your referring to feeding, but I picked this up for 5k from an estate 2 years ago, the 4wd is priceless. It's technically a David Brown but has a case hood. One thing I would keep in mind is to keep an eye on tire size, the taller tire the more clearance you will have handling your round bales. That would be the only downfall to my David Brown, the 30 inch rear tires are kind of short.

Looks good to me. If the 30" tires don't provide enough clearance then it's probably wet enough that a 46" wouldn't make much difference. I kinda like your old David Brown :tiphat:

Personally for 5-10K and reliability I would go with an International 806. Have abused ours for 15 years with heavy use and only replace starter and water pump. Think its a little under 100 hp and have no problems moving 1500 pound bales without any weights. Like john deere but internationals make good cheap hp.

bmoore87":1yrpnf4b said:
Personally for 5-10K and reliability I would go with an International 806. Have abused ours for 15 years with heavy use and only replace starter and water pump. Think its a little under 100 hp and have no problems moving 1500 pound bales without any weights. Like john deere but internationals make good cheap hp.

Few years back I saw a pretty nice 806 with like new rubber sell for $7K at a retirement auction. Never seen one quite like it, had a 5.9L Cummins conversion 8)

Bigfoot, I missed out on the exact same tractor this winter only it had a cab and loader with grapple, should have snapped it up right away when I saw it. Walnut Crest I don't think you could go wrong with very many internationals out there, I would stay away from the hydro models and keep looking for a 656 or bigger. If your not going to be working it really hard I don't see anything wrong with a gas. It may drink more than a diesel but you may not have to plug it in very often either. I made the tire height reference because there are some places where the height will help, I'd like to go to 38" rears, 4 inches doesn't sound like a lot but it would help on occasion.

Well did you buy the 656? Hope it wasn't a gas tractor, we have one and it's a weak bugger!! Just tired I think. But we DO have two old JI Case tractors, one is a 970, one is a 1070 and we use both for moving bales. Paid under 2500 apiece for them. Both are diesels, tanky old beasts, but real work-horses! No cabs on either so pretty much fair weather tractors. They are shedded for the winter and then we use the Case 1896 with grapple and warm cab!

I bought an ih574 last spring after a few months of searching. It has a westendorf loader on it, 4000 hours ish, gas engine. I'm very happy with it for $4000. I had to rebuild the steering cylinder (leaking), patch a rusty spot around the valve stem hole in one of the rear wheels, new tune in that wheel, and it needs paint. I carry a 5x6 on the front and rear with no issues. It feels very stable with a bale on just the rear with the loader on the front as ballast. Only downside is that if you don't have weight in the rear, traction is not very good with the weight of the loader. I'm very happy with it.

Lucas, I have never heard of a 574 with a gas engine... the 574's were really good machines though, the 684 shares nearly all the same parts, but is a little longer (good for loader work) and has a bit more power.. transmissions and final drives are identical. I know a fellow who had a 574 (diesel) and he said it would outlift his bigger, newer JD tractor. there are lots around so parts are easy to find.

Bigfoot":24l6eu7u said:
jltrent":24l6eu7u said:
1966 Farmall 656 Tractor

GF0810-97180_1.jpg

Wish that was in my collection. Learned to plow on one just like it.

My grandpa had a 686 when I was a kid/teenager. I hauled a lot of bales with it, great tractor. I'd by one just like it if I needed one. The only thing is not having front assist. Basically the same tractor as the 656 as far as I know.

Latest posts