Best Angus cow maker bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

gizmom":yn74yeq4 said:
Dixie
I have not bred Resource to any heifers but haven't had any issues with cows and the calves have not been extreme. I actually averaged the weights of all the Resource calves last year and the average was in the mid 70's. The daughters here have been fertile breeding up as heifers then breeding back on first AI service after their first calf. I am also a fan of Recharge they come smaller we have used on heifers with no issues.

Gizmom

Who have you been breeding your Resource daughters to ?

gizmom":gyotnc56 said:
Last year we bred all the Resource daughters to Charlo this year somewill be bred to Charlo and some to Abundance.

Gizmom
Do you pelvic measure your heifers? I would be interested in the numbers on those Charlo daughters just to know if the EPDs mean anything. Stacking CEM of -3 and -2 .... I like the bulls but that makes me nervous. No knock just curious.

Son of Butch":3qz6br8l said:
Dixie2542":3qz6br8l said:
what are some good angus bulls that would make outstanding cows?
I've heard Hoover Dam is good and have him picked for a few but what would be some other good angus bulls?
Looking to make thick wide top, easy fleshing replacements with good temperaments. Thanks!
S Chisum at Genex $20
He makes stout, fleshy, efficient cows $EN 20 (top 5%) without giving up anything on cw 63 (top 3%)
ce 5 he's not heifer safe, but his daughters are wide with cem 14 (top 4%)
doc 24 (top 15%)
milk 20
$W 82 (top 1%)
he's an outcross to most (Alliance x Eclipse (a line bred son of Traveler 6807) x Right Time)
proven .97 accuracy

I also am a fan of him. Makes some great cows. Really no complains other than I wish I had more of them

I am surprised no one has mentioned Bushwacker. He produces some of the best cows in my herd. Great all around. And his straws are still readily available.

Leachman Bushwhacker at Select Sires 20 years ago?
ced -7 (bottom 5%)
Docility -5 (bottom 5%)
ww 27 (bottom 5%)
yw 42 (bottom 5%)
cw 4 (bottom 5%)
$F 2 (bottom 5%)
$W 24 (bottom 5%)

That Bushwacker?
if so I can't recommend when the man specifically states good temperament is high on his list.

Son of Butch":1g2xgk8f said:
Leachman Bushwhacker at Select Sires 20 years ago?
ced -7 (bottom 5%)
Docility -5 (bottom 5%)
ww 27 (bottom 5%)
yw 42 (bottom 5%)
cw 4 (bottom 5%)
$F 2 (bottom 5%)
$W 24 (bottom 5%)

That Bushwacker?
if so I can't recommend when the man specifically states good temperament is high on his list.
https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... IGFA%3d%3d
I'd say this is the bull they're referring to. He has better epds.

Tbrake":3ltuy2bb said:
I'm curious of the fleshing ability and temporment of the capitalist daughters?
Do his calving numbers seem about right, safe to use on heifers?
Any comments on this ?

W.B.":3cl6xnvy said:
Tbrake, capitalist is fine for most first calf heifers.
Calves are born pretty stout though, so I wouldn't use him in a cross breeding situation this far north.
I have daughters coming with their second calf here.... good mothers, they flesh well.
I thought W.B. summed it up pretty well.

cow pollinator or anyone else shed some light on ABS Maternal Index?
29AN1857 Yon Future Force Z77 ($24) 17264322 born 9/2011
(Alliance Maternal Index $318 top 4%)
ce 17
bw -1.5
acc. .85
doc 26
cem 14 (top 4%)
milk 32 (10%)
mw 10 (75%)
mh .4 (35%)
$EN -15 (85%)
$W 70 (top 10%)
$B 115 (45%)

How reliable is their Maternal Index?
How is it weighted or calculated?
Does it over emphasize calving ease or is Future Force as good of a cow maker as the index suggests?

Son of Butch":1eemjq1v said:
W.B.":1eemjq1v said:
Tbrake, capitalist is fine for most first calf heifers.
Calves are born pretty stout though, so I wouldn't use him in a cross breeding situation this far north.
I have daughters coming with their second calf here.... good mothers, they flesh well.
I thought W.B. summed it up pretty well.
I apoligize, must have overlooked his comment. Thank you very much

Son of Butch":20hkhqda said:
cow pollinator or anyone else shed some light on ABS Maternal Index?
29AN1857 Yon Future Force Z77 ($24) 17264322 born 9/2011
(Alliance Maternal Index $318 top 4%)
ce 17
bw -1.5
acc. .85
doc 26
cem 14 (top 4%)
milk 32 (10%)
mw 10 (75%)
mh .4 (35%)
$EN -15 (85%)
$W 70 (top 10%)
$B 115 (45%)

How reliable is their Maternal Index?
How is it weighted or calculated?
Does it over emphasize calving ease or is Future Force as good of a cow maker as the index suggests?

Stocker Steve":ramfuily said:
I would like to try using sexed semen on my heifers. Who are the top angus bulls that have sexed heifer calf semen available?

SAV Bismarck does through Genex, something like $60 a straw.

mncowboy":1pnurhij said:
Stocker Steve":1pnurhij said:
I would like to try using sexed semen on my heifers. Who are the top angus bulls that have sexed heifer calf semen available?

SAV Bismarck does through Genex, something like $60 a straw.

I can't speak for Bismarck himself but I have a 5 year old Bismarck son who has always thrown great looking heifers. They usually best they A.I. Heifers as far as looks. The heifers' first calves just came, out of avg. growth,LBW bulls, so I won't really know for a couple more years whether they turn out to be top cows,but they sure look good. So far they seem to be easy fleshing, fertile, docile. Someone with older cows may can speak of soundness.

Statistically sexed semen cost = approx $120 per additional live heifer calf

Currently ABS has no angus sires with heifer sexed semen available.
Select Sires and Accelerated each have 1 angus sire available and neither are sires I'd recommend.
Sexed semen availability changes monthly, so I'd just check with rep as I expect more will be available come spring.

Son of Butch":252qlclm said:

Had not done the math, and did not think it would be that much.

I know the bull studs are working on improved semen sorting processes, but it sounds like it is mostly a dairy or seed stock game at this point?

Stocker Steve":44b53vt1 said:
Son of Butch":44b53vt1 said:

Had not done the math, and did not think it would be that much.

I know the bull studs are working on improved semen sorting processes, but it sounds like it is mostly a dairy or seed stock game at this point?

I think he's probably factored in the lower conception rate of using sexed semen .....$120 seems pretty close.

Latest posts