Cow-Calf pics

Help Support CattleToday:

GoWyo

Reaction score
We have a banner grass year and relatively cool weather so far this summer. The pairs are doing really well. Some of the standouts in pics below. These calves are right at 4 months of age. First is a Sitz Resilient bull calf born early March with SAV Brilliance dam. Second is a KCF Bennett Absolute daughter of the first cow with. S Right Time 7861 bull calf (her udder isn't that bad - think calf is pushing it forward). Third is AAA #19849984 with a S Right Time 7861 heifer calf.

Attachments

• IMG_20230714_191222.jpg
    IMG_20230714_191222.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20230714_191259.jpg
    IMG_20230714_191259.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20230714_191508.jpg
    IMG_20230714_191508.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 54
I love seeing cow-calf pairs that are doing a great job of calf raising.
I'm also jealous of your green grass, I seem to be in the vortex that is missing all of the rains.

I love seeing cow-calf pairs that are doing a great job of calf raising.
I'm also jealous of your green grass, I seem to be in the vortex that is missing all of the rains.
We grew very little grass last year - maybe 40% of normal production and every day in the mid-90s to 100* all mid-June to mid September. This year we are about 130% of normal production and today is the first truly hot day supposed to be mid to high 90s. Shaping up kind of normal here with some monsoon moisture periodically popping for the next couple weeks. Hope the heat dome shifts and you get some relief from heat and a good flush of precipitation real soon.

@GoWyo thanks, we have another chance of rain this evening, maybe I won't miss out this time.
For me the drought this year is every bit as bad as it was last year, I'm still downsizing the herd.

Here's one of my first calf heifers that seems to be doing a good job. Grandsire of the calf is AAR Ten X.

Attachments

• IMG_7614.jpg
    IMG_7614.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7231.jpg
    IMG_7231.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
@GoWyo thanks, we have another chance of rain this evening, maybe I won't miss out this time.
For me the drought this year is every bit as bad as it was last year, I'm still downsizing the herd.

Here's one of my first calf heifers that seems to be doing a good job. Grandsire of the calf is AAR Ten X.
Same pair in both pics? They can do well in drought so long as they can find something to eat. Drought grass that at least greened up is usually pretty strong, but the lack of dry matter is the hard part.

Same pair in both pics? They can do well in drought so long as they can find something to eat. Drought grass that at least greened up is usually pretty strong, but the lack of dry matter is the hard part.
Yes, it's the same pair in both pics. The calf was born October 2022 and the second pic is June of this year. Tomorrow he will be taken to the sale barn with some others to find a new home.

They look great. About time to wean the bull calf?
LOL - he easily could be weaned - but this is a cow/calf pair being shown. She is leased to one of "my kids" in 4-H. She showed her as a calf, then a bred heifer last year, now she will be showing her at NYSF plus the other county fairs we will be going to. Got one this weekend and another in 3 weeks.
But, I have other calves as big - won't be weaned until after Labor Day.

We have a banner grass year and relatively cool weather so far this summer. The pairs are doing really well. Some of the standouts in pics below. These calves are right at 4 months of age. First is a Sitz Resilient bull calf born early March with SAV Brilliance dam. Second is a KCF Bennett Absolute daughter of the first cow with. S Right Time 7861 bull calf (her udder isn't that bad - think calf is pushing it forward). Third is AAA #19849984 with a S Right Time 7861 heifer calf.
Nice looking pairs. If you want to see him in person Right Time 7861 will be at World West for the Montana Angus tour in September. At least that was the plan a month or so ago. He was busy servicing cows in North Dakota. Spicklers are expecting him to sire 60 plus calves naturally once again.

Despite almost no grass-corn shucks and some cubes right now, this 7 year old is doing a pretty good job with this six month old bull calf. He's keeping the jewels for a while…

Attachments

• 5C2DA70C-9495-4FA2-8AB0-D6780977D009.jpeg
    5C2DA70C-9495-4FA2-8AB0-D6780977D009.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 72DF8D20-6631-4831-86CB-14C1C5BFFE7B.jpeg
    72DF8D20-6631-4831-86CB-14C1C5BFFE7B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
Getting to the end of the A.I. sired calves. FRANK Pride 170 just dropped her calf last night. She is a Leachman Right Time granddaughter and her calf is by S Right Time 7861. Stout healthy bull calf.

Attachments

• IMG_20240316_101159.jpg
    IMG_20240316_101159.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 13
I will see if I can get a couple of pics if the 7861 daughters that have calved. They are very nice to be around. The disposition after calving is outstanding. The old bull is set to see his 7th breeding season this summer. Never had or needed to have his feet trimmed. Maternal calving ease will be above average as well.

Despite almost no grass-corn shucks and some cubes right now, this 7 year old is doing a pretty good job with this six month old bull calf. He's keeping the jewels for a while…
You got no rain yesterday and last night?
Got a good bit over here and I saw the Austin/San Antonio area really got wet last night.

You got no rain yesterday and last night?
Got a good bit over here and I saw the Austin/San Antonio area really got wet last night.
That post was from last August, I think. We got nice rains yesterday. Not a ton, but we're ahead for the year so far

I will see if I can get a couple of pics if the 7861 daughters that have calved. They are very nice to be around. The disposition after calving is outstanding. The old bull is set to see his 7th breeding season this summer. Never had or needed to have his feet trimmed. Maternal calving ease will be above average as well.
I have 7 replacement heifers by 7861 that will be bred this spring. As I recall you were using Architect on 7861 daughters. We have some Architect calves on the ground out of cows. They were earlier and smaller than I expected, so it looks like he would be fine on heifers. Had a sampling of Armstrong calves too and they are born 8-10 lbs heavier than Architect and go pretty much 280-283 days.

Yes we used Architect on the 7861 daughters and all have calved unassisted to this point. Our daughter does the ear tagging and she thought that the mating added a touch of bone compared to our average. Our biggest group of 7861 daughters get bred this spring and I think we will mate them all that way.

We are selling our bulls through the University of Wyoming High Altitude Bull Test and Sale. Four of the six Right Time 7861 sons we took made it through PAP testing at 7200'. Tag 399 needs to come down in elevation and the other 3 should work. Here is the link. Our bulls are Lots 1-13. The students did all the pics and videos and most of the sale catalog.

Congratulations bulls look good. I hope the sale goes well for you.

Latest posts