Berseem Clover

Help Support CattleToday:

None. But it is an annual...not very winter hardy and won't reseed according to what I've read. It is non bloating.
Its whatever your objective is. I would prefer something like crimson clover that can over winter and reseed itself somewhat.

Berseem clover's claim to fame is it will tolerate wet feet better than other clovers It grows on clay and loam type soils.

Banjo said:
None. But it is an annual...not very winter hardy and won't reseed according to what I've read. It is non bloating.
Its whatever your objective is. I would prefer something like crimson clover that can over winter and reseed itself somewhat.

We have moderate temps in the winter and I have access to Frosty Berseem which is tolerant to cold. Wondering if anyone else here has experience with it.

If you haven't already ordered seed, you might take a look at Fixation Balansa Clover. Not horribly pricey, more cold tolerant, fixes significantly more N than crimson, and is also an annual. Does contain hard seed, so be mindful of that depending on your situation.

Also tolerates a wider range of soil pH. 4.5-8.5 according to what I've read.

VaCowman said:
If you haven't already ordered seed, you might take a look at Fixation Balansa Clover. Not horribly pricey, more cold tolerant, fixes significantly more N than crimson, and is also an annual. Does contain hard seed, so be mindful of that depending on your situation.

Have you planted the FBC before? I just bought some to plant here shortly....sounds like good stuff. I am putting it in my perennial pastures.

I am in the same boat you are Banjo. Got one in the chamber, but haven't pulled the trigger yet! I will probably drill into some sudangrass once cows get it cleaned up...hopefully around mid to early September. I plan to mix with with some Trical 815 triticale and see how it does. Everything I've read about it suggests its the "bees knees", but who knows. Most of the time those things never work out for me. I'd be interested to learn about your experiences in KY if we can keep in touch throughout the process.

VaCowman said:
I am in the same boat you are Banjo. Got one in the chamber, but haven't pulled the trigger yet! I will probably drill into some sudangrass once cows get it cleaned up...hopefully around mid to early September. I plan to mix with with some Trical 815 triticale and see how it does. Everything I've read about it suggests its the "bees knees", but who knows. Most of the time those things never work out for me. I'd be interested to learn about your experiences in KY if we can keep in touch throughout the process.

Sure thing....Interesting that the closest place to get it for me is in Va. and east TN. Seed places around here have never heard of it.
i go visit some family in Moneta, Va. about every year around the first of Aug.
I picked some up in Bristol a couple of weeks ago coming back to Ky.
Be careful not to get it too deep with the drill....it is really small seed.

I am not aware of the supplier in Bristol, VA, (Assuming Clayton Thompson?) but I plan to get mine from Rocky Mt., a place called Green Sprig Ag. There is also another place in Floyd, VA, Seven Springs, that also sells the seed. Both places were within $1 of each other on pricing for a 50# bag.

I plan to do my due diligence in calibrating the drill prior to planting to make sure seeding rate and depth are correct. Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to remember to touch base with you as things start to progress. Be interesting to compare results with someone in KY to see how management, etc. comes into play.

Keep us posted on how it works.. I'd like to till and plant it in the spring, perhaps with some ryegrass, graze it a couple times or even hay it, then the following year use that land either for crops or back into an alfalfa hay field.. I'm struggling to keep my nitrogen even with alfalfa, I've reduced my grasses to try and not have them steal it all

VaCowman said:
I am not aware of the supplier in Bristol, VA, (Assuming Clayton Thompson?) but I plan to get mine from Rocky Mt., a place called Green Sprig Ag. There is also another place in Floyd, VA, Seven Springs, that also sells the seed. Both places were within $1 of each other on pricing for a 50# bag.

I plan to do my due diligence in calibrating the drill prior to planting to make sure seeding rate and depth are correct. Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to remember to touch base with you as things start to progress. Be interesting to compare results with someone in KY to see how management, etc. comes into play.

I got it at Country Boy Seeds just out of Bristol on Gate City Hwy about a mile off of I-81

Nesikep said:
Keep us posted on how it works.. I'd like to till and plant it in the spring, perhaps with some ryegrass, graze it a couple times or even hay it, then the following year use that land either for crops or back into an alfalfa hay field.. I'm struggling to keep my nitrogen even with alfalfa, I've reduced my grasses to try and not have them steal it all

https://fixationclover.com/
https://www.greencoverseed.com/product/1088/

Banjo said:
Nesikep said:

https://fixationclover.com/
https://www.greencoverseed.com/product/1088/

I can find it in the US just fine, finding it in western canada is the problem... and getting it across the border requires certificates, etc..

Latest posts