Bern Baby Bern

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard said:
Stocker Steve said:
Bare breasted women have been arrested in Nevada while protesting Bernie' support for the dairy industry. Nice.
Pictures or it didn't happen...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8010713/Topless-animal-rights-protester-confronts-Bernie-Sanders-Nevada-campaign-rally.html

Bernie or Bloomberg, Great Chooses this election for Dems.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bloomberg-implied-farming-is-easy-in-2016-comments

sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:
You must be naive in believing Democrats fought to end segregation.
Al Gore's daddy was marching in the anti segregation marches along with George Wallace causing federal troops to be sent in. Who do you think was passing Jim Crow laws? It was the Democrats! The blacks were republican until LBJ enslaved them with the Great Society.

"Jim Crow laws were state and local laws that enforced racial segregation in the Southern United States. All were enacted in the late 19th and early 20th centuries by white Democratic-dominated state legislatures after the Reconstruction period. The laws were enforced until 1965."

You are absolutely right Al Gore Sr. was a hypocrite. But if you have to go back 70 years to make a point, where does that lead us?
I don't think that you can say that JFK did not do a lot to end segregation. LBJ was another hypocrite, he was a racist, but he did more to end segregation it than anyone else.

And you are also correct about the Southen Democrats, but it was not a Democrat vs Republican thing, it was a Southern thing. Southen Conservative Democrats controlled the legislatures at that time.

There is a reason the Black Community has traditionally voted Democratic in recent history.

PS.... I really enjoy this type of debate without the name-calling. No one on this Board is going to change anyone's mind. But I learn from differing views.

That Johnson was the president to pass such a historic bill seemed ironic: As a congressman, he voted against every single civil rights bill that ever made it to the floor between 1937 and 1956. Johnson reversed that record with a bang in 1957, pushing through the first civil rights bill to pass Congress since 1875.

TexasBred said:
sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:
You must be naive in believing Democrats fought to end segregation.
Al Gore's daddy was marching in the anti segregation marches along with George Wallace causing federal troops to be sent in. Who do you think was passing Jim Crow laws? It was the Democrats! The blacks were republican until LBJ enslaved them with the Great Society.

"Jim Crow laws were state and local laws that enforced racial segregation in the Southern United States. All were enacted in the late 19th and early 20th centuries by white Democratic-dominated state legislatures after the Reconstruction period. The laws were enforced until 1965."

You are absolutely right Al Gore Sr. was a hypocrite. But if you have to go back 70 years to make a point, where does that lead us?
I don't think that you can say that JFK did not do a lot to end segregation. LBJ was another hypocrite, he was a racist, but he did more to end segregation it than anyone else.

And you are also correct about the Southen Democrats, but it was not a Democrat vs Republican thing, it was a Southern thing. Southen Conservative Democrats controlled the legislatures at that time.

There is a reason the Black Community has traditionally voted Democratic in recent history.

PS.... I really enjoy this type of debate without the name-calling. No one on this Board is going to change anyone's mind. But I learn from differing views.

That Johnson was the president to pass such a historic bill seemed ironic: As a congressman, he voted against every single civil rights bill that ever made it to the floor between 1937 and 1956. Johnson reversed that record with a bang in 1957, pushing through the first civil rights bill to pass Congress since 1875.

No one ever said he wasn't a shrewd politician. He knew exactly what he was buying!
He was a descendent of the Woodpecker Jaybird war in Texas.

Caustic Burno said:
Buck Randall said:
Bestoutwest said:
And this is how we have Trump. It's kind of a ridiculous system.

I think it's time to adopt ranked choice voting. We'd be more likely to end up with the candidate most people are okay with rather than the one some people loved and the others can't stand.

Why it worked perfectly fine until you were unhappy it's a great system when I am.
The states have spoken doesn't get anymore fair.

Now granted, I'm still a baby compared to all you old farts (38 in May), but I don't remember either side putting up 8-15 candidates. It's absurd. And when a candidate "wins" a state with only ~20% of the vote, that's not really a win. A minor majority win may, or may not, produce good results b/c while their base is rabid, it doesn't mean the rest of us are. Case and point is Bernie. His base is very, very rabid, but I don't see the majority of the party that way. Same with Tea Party folks. They. Are. Into. It. but they are the fringe. Maybe this is the new America, fringe parts of the party controlling the whole. Who knows.

Bestoutwest said:
Caustic Burno said:
Buck Randall said:
I think it's time to adopt ranked choice voting. We'd be more likely to end up with the candidate most people are okay with rather than the one some people loved and the others can't stand.

Why it worked perfectly fine until you were unhappy it's a great system when I am.
The states have spoken doesn't get anymore fair.

Now granted, I'm still a baby compared to all you old farts (38 in May), but I don't remember either side putting up 8-15 candidates. It's absurd. And when a candidate "wins" a state with only ~20% of the vote, that's not really a win. A minor majority win may, or may not, produce good results b/c while their base is rabid, it doesn't mean the rest of us are. Case and point is Bernie. His base is very, very rabid, but I don't see the majority of the party that way. Same with Tea Party folks. They. Are. Into. It. but they are the fringe. Maybe this is the new America, fringe parts of the party controlling the whole. Who knows.

Again nothing new go back to the election of 1860.
Democrats fractured into three groups northern, southern and western with each having a convention and running a candidate. It was all about power.

Abraham Lincoln of Illinois represented the Republican Party. ...
John Bell of Tennessee represented the Constitutional Union Party. ...Jackson Democrat.
John Breckinridge of Kentucky represented the southern faction of the Democratic Party. ...
Stephen Douglas of Illinois represented the northern faction of the Democratic Party.

Lincoln won the presidency with less than 40% of the popular vote.
Roll that one around.
That's exactly why the electoral college works.

Got to remember most of the founders that came up with the system were farmers. According to Bloomberg that section of our society lacks gray matter.

Second lowest popular vote winner was Bill Clinton with 43%.

sstterry said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Buck Randall said:
It doesn't bother me at all. CB was the one who brought up accusations of identity politics, to which I kindly responded that the Republican party has become the party of white Christian identity. You then jumped in with your non sequitur.

I know prodding at people to try and set them off is kind of your schtick when threads get political. You might have better luck elsewhere.

I'm not prodding anyone. There's absolutely no need to. We live in a country founded on Judeo-Christian values and I'm thankful for that. Yes we've drifted over the years but I'm hopeful we can find our moral compass once again. Good luck to you as well Buck.

Buck,

I don't think that TT is prodding. He is simply expressing his views and those should be respected as should yours. Tennesse Tuxedo is a great guy.

Reasonable people can disagree. There used to be some members that did not understand that. There is nothing wrong with a good debate, but everyone's views should be respected (even if they are wrong :lol: ).

Mod2 does a good job of keeping things between the guardrails, it is not an easy job.

Check's in the mail!

TennesseeTuxedo said:
sstterry said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
I'm not prodding anyone. There's absolutely no need to. We live in a country founded on Judeo-Christian values and I'm thankful for that. Yes we've drifted over the years but I'm hopeful we can find our moral compass once again. Good luck to you as well Buck.

Buck,

I don't think that TT is prodding. He is simply expressing his views and those should be respected as should yours. Tennesse Tuxedo is a great guy.

Reasonable people can disagree. There used to be some members that did not understand that. There is nothing wrong with a good debate, but everyone's views should be respected (even if they are wrong :lol: ).

Mod2 does a good job of keeping things between the guardrails, it is not an easy job.

Check's in the mail!

Add an extra zero this time!

sstterry said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
sstterry said:
Buck,

Check's in the mail!

Add an extra zero this time!

Will do.

Latest posts