Bermuda Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

danl":307gloeg said:
Is common bermuda as good a quality of hay as the hybrids? In terms of food value?

My cows don't like to graze on it, but they can't get enough once it is hay. I just put out a little bale, that we didn't even wrap (the one that alway ends up without enough to finish up a full size bale) and they passed up on green grass to eat it up.

I don't know what kind of common bermuda we have but it gets pretty tall, a lot taller than 3 or 4 inches, maybe 12 to 14 inches. It is taking over several fields.
I just put up some 2nd cutting bermuda and picking up the bales was pulling my front wheels off the ground on my Massey 135. Sure was some heavy stuff.
That's a sign they have plenty of other grazing.....when it's all they have left they will be happy to eat it.

I just read on a Arkamsas agriculture website there are over 150 varieties of common bermuda. So I guess we could all be talking about different critters.

Break is over, have to go weedeat the lawn to keep the wife happy. Waiting for the peak of the heat and humidity ):

ga.prime":1qqf0fea said:
Jogeephus":1qqf0fea said:
Not sure about this butI also think there are several different types of bermuda lumped under the definition of common. My common will not run through a baler and at best is only about 3-4 inches long.
I guess. You'd need a lawn mower to cut mine and a vacuum cleaner to get it off the ground. The kind I have won't cut, rake, or bale. Meanwhile, the coastal is arse high to a bear.
our common will make hay,,, but you have to run in first gear, at 5000 rpms to cut it :cowboy:

What I noticed about the Bahai during the drought we had last year was when we did get a shower the Bahai would go from dirt to green overnight! Once the Bermuda went dormant it was done for the summer. I rent pasture and there is no way to fertilize ($). I wouldn't trade the Bahai for Bermuda.

Arkieman":19saldf7 said:
What I noticed about the Bahai during the drought we had last year was when we did get a shower the Bahai would go from dirt to green overnight! Once the Bermuda went dormant it was done for the summer. I rent pasture and there is no way to fertilize ($). I wouldn't trade the Bahai for Bermuda.

There must be some thing else effecting the bermuda like weather or the specific type of bermuda in your area. Around here the bermuda (native and improved) can start growing in Feb with rain and go as late as Oct Nov if you don't get a freeze. As said already, we have cut hay Sept Oct Nov with late rains after a dry start.

Brute 23":3ejkigqv said:
Arkieman":3ejkigqv said:

There must be some thing else effecting the bermuda like weather or the specific type of bermuda in your area. Around here the bermuda (native and improved) can start growing in Feb with rain and go as late as Oct Nov if you don't get a freeze. As said already, we have cut hay Sept Oct Nov with late rains after a dry start.

Yeah I agree Brute - "in normal conditions". I was talking about drought or near drought conditions (which seems to be the norm lately!!)

This is my picture of common vs. Coastal. There's no comparison. The Coastal in this area of the field has been pushing back the common a little bit each year. When I rake it the windrow is at least 50%
smaller where the common is.

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to make the picture just show up - maybe one of you geeks can do it!

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto ... puser/4641

gabby's pic
photo1.JPG

I have the reverse. The type common I have greens up quicker in the spring and keeps getting a larger toe hole in the fields. I keep telling myself I'll spot spray it in the spring but I keep forgetting. Maybe this year I'll remember.

Jogeephus":2yki4fop said:
I have the reverse. The type common I have greens up quicker in the spring and keeps getting a larger toe hole in the fields. I keep telling myself I'll spot spray it in the spring but I keep forgetting. Maybe this year I'll remember.
the same thing happens here,, the common will dominate if you dont control it,,, a good stand of hybrid bermuda here wont last long without a lot of maintenance

Latest posts