Bermuda grass

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":2xsimrkh said:
So will a hybrid Bermuda like coastal or Tifton Take from hay?? That doesn't make sense to me. Seems the dry hay would not sprig.
I 've always assumed that any volunteered Bermuda was probably common or giant that was in the coastal hay.

Fenceman, I don't know what kind of Bermuda grass is coming up where I feed bales through the winter. Because I've fed coastal, russell and Tif85 bermuda grass. There's circles of bermuda in all my bahia grass pastures wherever I've fed hay.

callmefence":u5epnrkq said:
So will a hybrid Bermuda like coastal or Tifton Take from hay?? That doesn't make sense to me. Seems the dry hay would not sprig.
I 've always assumed that any volunteered Bermuda was probably common or giant that was in the coastal hay.

There are some volunteer bermudas that come up but they do not make runners. Yes, coastal will spread from feeding hay. Its not actually as dry as you think in there. We have a couple places where my grandfather planted coastal hay fields and now it covers the majority of the place. Before we planted the remaining in tifton you could see little circles of coastal. My dad was real big on rolling out bales. The land all had a gradual slope and we would drop them at the top and roll them down the hill. These soils were more on the sandy side. None of it was black ground.

Im not sure if you can do it as easy with Jiggs or Tifton. They are a harder to establish in general.

Funny thing
This is my road I had cleared and hauled in rock.
The bermuda is trying to take over and I'm having to keep it sprayed.
No bermuda around and the only place it's growing is the road.

Cross-7":1ccvazf1 said:
Funny thing
This is my road I had cleared and hauled in rock.
The bermuda is trying to take over and I'm having to keep it sprayed.
No bermuda around and the only place it's growing is the road.

Looks like crushed limestone Cross.
I have the same thing happening in the iron ore parking area in front of my house. Yard is bahia, but bermuda is coming up and spreading only in the drive. I have to assume it is common bermuda.
All bermudas are pretty difficult to get established compared to other forages.
I figure the reason it comes up there and hardly anywhere else, is the rock keeps the soil underneath damper than anywhere else and any seed blown or dropped by birds somehow germinates and survives long enough to root. It may also be that the iron ore and in your case--the limestone is helping to improve the pH to the point that bermuda likes.
May be the same thing happening on your rock road.

I spray mine too, with a generic version of Groundclear. Gly + Imaz. Got to saturate it pretty good tho, for the imaz to have ground activity for any length of time. Glyphosate alone will only kill what you see above the surface and won't stop anything that germinates after application of the gly--but I'm sure you know the chemical properties already since you work in the farm supply sector.

Latest posts