Beginner questions on keeping Highlands.

Help Support CattleToday:

canoetrpr

Reaction score
Hello:

I am very new to Highlands, cattle, and farming in general.

A bit about myself:

We have a 26 acre farm - about 14 acres are reasonably good quality pasture - timothy, clover etc. The rest is house, barns, pond, woods. The pasture is divided into two paddocks. Back pasture is fenced with wire fence (not sure what else to call it - it is not barbed but stretched tight). The front is fenced with cedar posts and boards (the kind you would see at a horse farm).

Spring is wet around here. Half of the back pasture floods for 2 to three weeks. Very back of the back pasture (maybe 1/2 acre) stays quite wet into the middle of the summer. The rest of it dries out just fine.

Fences are in good repair in general. The board and post fences are practically new.

We have a three sided pole barn along with hay storage and a 5 horse stall barn.

Basically the property is a really nice equestrian property - previous owners had horses and all my neighbours have horses.

We are looking into the prospect of either renting the barn / pastures out to someone who wants to keep their horses there, OR, looking into starting a small hobby herd of Highland cattle.

I have done some research and I quite like the breed. I have several questions that I am hoping some of you might take the time to lend your insight to:

- Does my fence situation sound reasonable for Highlands? I was considering adding one strand of electric particularly around my new board and post fence to ensure that it stayed in good shape. Not sure I need to do this. What do you think?

- From talking to neighbours, they suggest that in this area people are able to keep 1 horse per acre. Sound like a pretty dense stocking rate... but I'm new to this. Our winter is about 6 months here so the cattle would be fed hay during that time - I suppose that makes it a stocking rate of about 1 animal to 2 acres then. It would then sound to me like I would do just fine with a small herd of 5-7 Highlands (including calves and a bull)... maybe start with two cows with calves and a young bull, on my 14 acres of pasture. Does this sound reasonable?

- Do you think I ought to subdivide my pastures further for 5 to 7 Highlands for rotational grazing? I've read a bit on it and it sounds like a great idea but also seems like a bit of a hassle getting water up to each paddock, eye-sore of the extra fencing and so on - kinda like the look of our nice open two paddocks. Can I get by without subdividing the pastures further and just rotate between the two.

- I much prefer the Highland plan vs. renting out the horse barn and pastures as this way we don't have people driving up the property - the pastures are still mine etc. I'm not doing this to make money really - more just to enjoy having livestock on the property. I expect we will slaughter one steer or so a year for the freezer and sale to friends and family. I'll be thrilled if we just break even. Any reason you can think whether the horse or Highland plan may be better for us?

- A Highland breeder I talked to in this area suggested that we include a young bull at the start. I have to say I was surprised when I saw that his bull was so tame - I'd have no problem with a bull like that around the property. Curious as to whether the rest of you think I should get a young bull to start or go with AI given the small amount of land I have. How much of a hassle is AI?

If you've read this far then I really appreciate the time you have taken!. As you can tell I need all the help I can get.

I'd go with the cattle idea. I'd subdivide the land as much as you can. Cell grazing as we call it over here in Australia is an excellent idea. It makes the cattle use the country better and keeps the pasture fresher. Weeds don't seem to get out of control.Highlands are nice cattle but perhaps you might even think about Australian Lowlines they are small but not miniatures as are a new breed that is gaining favor over called Square Meaters ( a small Murray Grey). You would be able to run a few more of these than the Highlands.
Colin

You can get a lot of opinions so I'll just throw my two cents in......

I'd go with the Highlands unless you really want horses to ride. The Highlands should be lower maintenance and you can keep your freezer full with them.

I'd go with AI. Find someone in your area who does it and then just learn to spot when your cows are standing so you can contact the AI guy at the right time.

If your perimeter fences are in good shape I would use a single strand of electric to handle rotational grazing and keep them from leaning on the outter fences. Animals that are well fed tend to be easier on fences :lol: .

I would start with 3 or 4 bred cows and run them for a year. If your pasture supports them well and you don't have a problem with hay for the winter you increase from there.
Let them calve and hold back whatever you want from their calves.

You will learn lots from this first year and be better able to take advice and apply it to your situation.

Good luck.

Go with the Highlands!! Easy keeping, hardy, easy calveing season, no worries about our northern weather, very little health problems, and Great freezer beef when crossed out!!! From the sound of your land five cows and a bull will get you started. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking your friends and family will like the taste of pure Highland beef just because it is low fat ect. You will have far more compliments on your beef if you breed your Highland cows to a Welsh Black, Hereford, or Angus bull!

S.R.R.":3oppgl9o said:
Great freezer beef when crossed out!!! From the sound of your land five cows and a bull will get you started. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking your friends and family will like the taste of pure Highland beef just because it is low fat ect. You will have far more compliments on your beef if you breed your Highland cows to a Welsh Black, Hereford, or Angus bull!

S.R.R. - I guess I really ought to try some pure highland beef before I get started eh :)? So far I've only hung out with the cattle and decided that I like their personality and looks :).

Are straight Highlands not as good eating as Highland crosses?

Some of the reasons I picked Highlands over other cattle were:

- They are a heritage breed - may not be as commercially viable vs. Angus for example but I felt that I could do my part by maintaining a healthy gene pool through a hobby operation.

- Easy calving (I'm told) - they've been selected for this vs. a more muscled breed like the Angus.

I guess if pure Highland beef is not tasty then I will have to re-evaluate these goals.

canoetrpr":3bmudopm said:
S.R.R.":3bmudopm said:
Great freezer beef when crossed out!!! From the sound of your land five cows and a bull will get you started. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking your friends and family will like the taste of pure Highland beef just because it is low fat ect. You will have far more compliments on your beef if you breed your Highland cows to a Welsh Black, Hereford, or Angus bull!

S.R.R. - I guess I really ought to try some pure highland beef before I get started eh :)?

- Easy calving (I'm told) - they've been selected for this vs. a more muscled breed like the Angus.

I guess if pure Highland beef is not tasty then I will have to re-evaluate these goals.

Now hold on there!!! I am not saying Highland beef is not tasty!!!!!
What I am saying is that your average city slicker like yourself may not find the leanness of the meat quite what your used to! Trying it first is a great idea but in know way am I saying the meat is not Mmmmm....... good.

Also just a bit of info on cattle, Angus is not known as one of the "more" muscled breeds Angus also DO have a reputation for calving ease. By the way Highlands have become so popular now days that they are really no longer one of the rare heritage breeds. I would have to say that if you do go with Highlands you will never lack for conversation starters!! :)

canoetrpr":m7eu56q6 said:
As you can tell.... I have a LOT of learning to do!. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Don't worry about it! Ask all the ? you want how else are you going to learn?

What else do you want to know about Highlands? There are a number of members of the cattle today boards who have had Highlands in the past or have them in the present.

Now, one of your questions was cattle or horses - do you know what you could get renting the place to the horse folks? The numbers may surprise you. Especially in your area.

Do you know the cattle will likely COST you money to keep?

If money is no object, then I have a ton of stuff to suggest you buy! :lol:

Is AI a hassle?? Yes - it is a lot of work.
But if you have to ask if AI is a hassle, do you have the committment to make to owning/calving out cattle?

And listen to SRR, a few folks have had Highlands around here, did well for a while direct marketing, then petered out. Maybe a fad thing, maybe the leaness of the meat. But any breed will benefit from a good cross ( heterosis/complimentory genetics ). And if you are doing it for enjoyment, choosing the crosses and seeing the results is a lot of fun.

Make sure your perimeter fences are in good serviceable condition. Do your interior subdividing with portable electric until you know for sure what you want. Even then if you have the right mentality of cattle ( Highlands qualify :lol: ) a single hot wire will do it.

Not to discourage you in any way from Highlands, but from what I've read on several other boards, they are either easy going or wild as cooties (jumping fences and away they go into the wild blue yonder). This is just from reading, NOT my personal experience. I think the trick might be in seeing, live and up-close, the animals you're considering, and if you get them, keep them in a smaller enclosure until they've settled in. Highlands probably do well in your climate.

SRR is right about the heritage thing. Highlands are now considered "recovering" by the ALBC (same as Dexters, which we have).

As far as taste, I'll have to let you know on that one. In about a month, we're going to a "beef eat-off" (Highland vs. Dexter). A friend of ours will be having a big gathering, featuring all sorts of beef dishes prepared with Dexter and Highland meat, i.e., two of each recipe, one for each breed. I guess we'll have to vote or something, who knows? This should be a lot of fun and very good eating!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with this property.

AngusLimoX":rtzct9w6 said:
Now, one of your questions was cattle or horses - do you know what you could get renting the place to the horse folks? The numbers may surprise you. Especially in your area.

Do you know the cattle will likely COST you money to keep?

We think that renting out our barns/pasture will probably fetch about $400 per month or so. I don't know what that would net out to after a few expenses - fence up keep, insurance and so on... maybe $300 per month to be safe. That is $3600 per year.

Realistically - I'd say that this would net out to little if any as it would just be a reason for me to do silly things like go and buy a manure spreader so that the manure pile from mucking out the stalls does not get too big and so on.

Regardless - we're not really thinking about either of these options for money so much. No one is about to turn down a bit of extra money though :). I suspect that the horse option will come out the winner if it is about money - just a guess.

This is really about enjoying the experience of living on a hobby farm.

Ideally something that would break even (not accounting for my time which I would spend for free) would be great.

Realistically what do you think having Highlands would COST (after the initial investment)? I figured that the cost of hay, fence upkeep, vet bills would probably be met with the yearly sale of a steer or so. Am I far off here?

AngusLimoX":2a5hzlms said:

AngusLimoX - didn't realize you were from Ontario also. Guessing you probably do have an idea what renting the barn out would bring in.

To be honest, we don't really know for sure. We know that in this area, people generally charge about $250 to $275 per horse for full board. So we were guessing about $100 to $125 per stall with the owner(s) doing the upkeep, taking care of feeding and so on.

One of the things that makes me a bit leary of the horse option is not being into the horse world myself, I don't really have a clue about what kind of customer I'd be looking for to rent the barn to - probably would better off renting off all the stalls to one person. I'm worried that if I rent out to someone who does not care much about the upkeep, the place will be a mess and so on. OTOH with cattle it would be my own show and even though I would have learning to do I'm sure I would get the hang of it.

I don't think I have the time (or know how) to try to run a full board operation charging $250-$275 per stall. That sounds like the best opportunity for money and it would be different if I had horses of my own and was mucking out stalls anyway and turning them in and out. Besides - I can't really think of why someone who cares about their horses would want me to be learning to care for THEIR horses.

I have to say - our property is setup really nicely as a equestrian property. 14 acres of pasture, nicely fenced, outdoor riding ring, 5 stall barn with a loafing barn and so on.

i have highlands, but im new to this breed got them in march, i did lots of research before deciding on them,the main turning point for me was that they like a lot of roughage, my grass is not the best at this time{bought prop.2 yr ago} have lots of cleaning up to do along with fence.i also have mules which are great field cleaners. our cows are very easy keepers, they do fine with my mules in the same field. but they had horses in the field with them from other farm. i do have any prob with my fence but i keep it hot. i have 5 stands of barb wire,w/ 2 stands of elect wire inbetween the barb wire that it pretty hot.now i did have my calf slip threw the fence this week end.he found a spot that was up hill and he had enough room to stick his head threw he poped threw but when he seem me comming he darted back in..the other cows werent looking to get out..
the cows this summer have cleaned up lots of brush, and have some nice grass growing now.. if you go to cut a tree down in field you end up with a crowd waiting for the tree to hit the ground lol i put out hay else where so that we wont drop an tree on them,, but it's hard to get any thing by them LOL later i would like to get a angus or somthing bigger to breed up for size for freezer beef. but i love the highlands they are friendy cows{mine are} it would be a scary thing to get a crazy one!! go vist the herd that you are gonna buy from.. temperment means alot.. good luck. this board is a good place to start lot of good info on cattle in general. Rose

We raised them for several years, and was never around one that was wild. They're very gentle animals. They will also marble just like the other more popular breeds, if fed properly. One thing to consider, they will not fit a standard width chute. Horns get stuck. You either need to do a "Medina hinge", or get a longhorn chute.

6M Ranch":1b8ya8h3 said:
We raised them for several years, and was never around one that was wild. They're very gentle animals. They will also marble just like the other more popular breeds, if fed properly. One thing to consider, they will not fit a standard width chute. Horns get stuck. You either need to do a "Medina hinge", or get a longhorn chute.

6M Ranch: Were you finishing on grain at all to get the marbling or just on grass / hay?

6M Ranch":2szzjmor said:
They're very gentle animals. They will also marble just like the other more popular breeds, if fed properly. .

6M Ranch I would be interested to know how you got your pure Highland cattle to marble so well?

6M Ranch":5zq37zhk said:
We would finish them just like our Angus steers. One reason they have a reputation for being lean is the lack of fat covering. If fed a high energy diet (corn), they will marble. Here's a link about finishing Highlands.
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:fp ... =clnk&cd=1

Interesting it looks like with the right amount of grain it can be done! I never was and still am not big on feeding large amounts of grain. That could be why a cross seems to marble better for me.

We have a small acreage and some rented pasture we are trying to raise some beef for us/ family I am on my 2nd year with the Highlands and all of mine are very friendly. You just have to be cautious when you feed they are almost to friendly. Itried the A.I route but didn't have much luck Igot a young Highland bull and am very happy I did. I haven,t ate any yet but I have a steer I am feeding now.I have him up to 12# a day corn/corngluten with hay,when he gets a little closer I will switch him to all corn/hay. I don,t know if it's right or wrong but I'll let you know how it turns out. You might try Thorbardin ranch for info.

Well, I'll throw in my two cents. As a money maker, I probably wouldn't recommend Highland cattle. They are pretty interesting to look at, though. For the most part, they are pretty quiet although I had a couple that were pretty hard to work. They are the only cows i've ever seen that had blue eyes. I had two like that and they were quite striking. The horns are nothing to worry about. Although when they get in around the bale feeder, I've been hit a couple of times when I was cutting the strings. Not maliciously but just because of crowding but watch them in the chute. They're pretty quick with their feet and I was kicked a couple of times. They are prone to bad feet, so that's something to watch for because although they may live to a good age, I've had to ship cows that were less than ten years old just because they were limping and cutting their toe nails doesn't seem to help. They can climb like a billy goat with those short legs and I've seen one go about 8' straight up the side of a newly excavated dugout bank. The calves whether crossed or not, are usually fuzzy and they get docked at the salebarn pretty hard. The meat is excellent due mostly to the muscle strands being smaller and less coarse. Even in older cows, the steaks seem to be pretty good. If you cross them, it wouldn't hurt to feed up the butcher calves with a bit of grain. I crossed a couple to Simmental and found finishing them on grass to be pretty hard. As I said, though, unless you have a market for the meat, they'd be tough to make money on. I only have a couple left and mostlythey are just there for lawn ornaments. Good Luck.

Latest posts