Beefmaster Angus Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes but you need more advice about the beefmasters. Caustic or someone can tell you more. They discuss a horned gene that doesn't follow the rules but im not sure the BM has any of that gene. But for years we usrd Horned Herefords on our cows.
Thanks for the info!

Is that because the polled gene is dominant to a horned gene from another animal or am I thinking wrong? I'm assuming the cows in the herd now are all homozygous polled since I haven't had any offspring with horns or scurs in over 10yrs. I have heard there are polled BM out there just haven't found any within a 200 miles radius.
Polled is dominant in all European cattle, but Beefmaster have Brahman in them and the degree fluctuates quite a bit. With polled mother cows and assuming they are homozygous you might get some scurs but I'd highly doubt any horns.

I know this is an older thread, but recently I have been intrigued and want to try a BM bull on my Red & Black Angus cows and replacement heifers. I have read a lot about the advantages that can come from the cross, as many members here have stated as well. My only concern is I spend a long time getting rid of horns and haven't had to dehorn a calf in ages. However, most purebred BM bulls that I have access to have horns. Even if the cows are polled won't I start having a percentage of calves with horns?
Use a polled BM bull. There are plenty out there around here, but dunno about Idaho. But shouldn't be a problem with Angus cows.

Latest posts