Beefmaster Angus Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
How are the calves of beefmaster cows with Angus bulls? Color of the calves? Alota ear? Horns?

u reckon the only thing an angus might give the beefmaster cross calf is a black hide.but thats all in my opion.i talked to a good friend of mine.an he had bought a reg black beefmaster to use on some cows.an he said the longer he kept the bull he looked angus.an he didnt like that so he sent the bull to the sale barn.

That's a black beefmaster you're speaking of but still a beefmaster. The offspring of a beefmaster be they red, black, painted or whatever when crossed with an angus will look way different than a beefmaster. No horns, not much ear, never be mistaken for brangus.

This an advertisement put out by BBU for the E6 program. i took it with my camera fone, so excuse the quality.
1012082041.jpg

calf on top left is angus sired and i think the heifer underneath is too (but cant say for sure-she could be brangus sired for all i know).
some calves may look brangusier than others as evidenced here--will depend on the cow. as you can see the bull looks more like an angus and the heifer looks more brangusy.

This is one of my heifers (cow now) from an Angus sire and beefmaster dam.
Picture077-2.jpg

Red Bull Breeder":20f43q5b said:
Do they make a decent looking calf ga. prime?
I think so, yes. By and large they're not hurt at the salebarn because of their breed makeup at all.

Most of the calves will be black but you will get some red . It depends on the cow .
The cross will take the horns off ( if your angus bull does'nt have a horn gene) .

The cross has worked well for us, but we have started using simmental bulls on our cows .

The main thing I like about the beefmasters is the disposition, and the docility of the animals, the few beefmasters I have been around were very calm and could walk up to them in the pasture and touch them. Now, I know every breed has its crazy in your back pocket cows, so there very well may be some whack jobs in beefmasters. Im just thinking of how angus sired calves would profit from a beefmaster cow. Beefy what color of beefmaste cow did that black cow come from? Im wondering if certain beefmaster colors throw a more solid consistant black calf?

CopeMan":qo05av4c said:
The main thing I like about the beefmasters is the disposition, and the docility of the animals, the few beefmasters I have been around were very calm and could walk up to them in the pasture and touch them. Now, I know every breed has its crazy in your back pocket cows, so there very well may be some whack jobs in beefmasters. Im just thinking of how angus sired calves would profit from a beefmaster cow. Beefy what color of beefmaste cow did that black cow come from? Im wondering if certain beefmaster colors throw a more solid consistant black calf?

The only thing consistant with beefmaster colors is that they will come out any color. But if you have a mostly black beefmaster cow, then that will definitely increase your chances in getting a black calf. (If you have a homo black bull)

CopeMan":1445tbpg said:

shes out of a dark red cow.
with an angus bull on red beefmaster cows i would expect mostly black to blackish calves with possibly some white on the underline, maybe some reds if the bull is a red carrier.

as yall know i run reg beefmasters.an i have both red an black cows.my herd bull is red.an he was bred to reg black beefmaster cow.an her calf was a black ringed eyed calf just like her momma.an i thought black cow red bull might throw a red calf.

she will throw some reds too bigbull.
black angus color genes are pretty dominant.
beefmaster colors genes are like a box of chocolate.

We raise many Beefmaster x Angus cross cattle every year. I have discussed this on the forum before. The beefmaster x angus cross works great in both directions. The replacement females are exceptional/second to none. The first cross bulls work great too, granted not all first cross beefmaster x angus bulls work consistently. It has taken us many generations to get our first cross bulls to produce consistent, desireable offspring. The offspring are more moderate framed, therefore requiring less feed intake. I have spoken to Christine Guidry at GeneStar regarding GeneStars data on Bos indicus influenced cattle. Bos Indicus alone is -3.626FEGPD. GeneStar reports the national average for Bos indicus influenced cattle to be -3.54lbs FEGPD. The FEGPD for English cattle is -2.95lbs. At a time when the cost of feed is continuing to increase, breeding angus cows to beefmaster bulls or vice versa is in my opinion, a great idea. On another note, Dr. Tommy Perkins of Missouri State University has scan data supporting this cross. The data concludes that by crossing the beefmaster with an angus, the IMF% increases as well as the REA/cwt. Many times when breeders try to increase IMF% in their cattle, the REA/cwt decrease and vice-versa. For some reason this doesn't occur with the beefmaster x angus cross.

The beefmaster x angus cross is an exceptional cross. I believe they look like a beefmaster x angus cross, not a brangus, not an angus with ears. If you want to see a few hundred of em to decide for yourself, let me know. We would love to show em to ya.

I have used Beefmaster bulls since 1975 on a variety of cows from angus, black baldies, ect. For me the beefmaster/angus cross works for me in my country

Can I ask if you had beefmaster/angus heifers what type of bullwould you use on them

Thank you someone suggested a carolers bull but I read they can be aggressive

Latest posts