Beefmaster Angus Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

How are the calves of beefmaster cows with Angus bulls? Color of the calves? Alota ear? Horns?
If you are using a purebred black angus bull, homozygous for black and polled, then the color can be nothing but black, and the calves will be polled. Beefmaster would be 50% Brahma, same as an F1 Braford, the best cow there is to cross with Angus. They'd just be 25% Hereford and 25% short horn, vs 50% Hereford. I'd say those terminal calves would perform as well as an angus x F1 Braford, and would probably be hard to tell them apart.

BamaCowboy, would you mind telling us where you get your bulls from?
He hasn't been around in a while.... 12 years ago.
The website keeps track of members' posts and logins and you can see it by placing your cursor over or on any member's name as it appears to the left of their reply.

BamaCowboy

Well-known member · 71 · From Reform,Alabama
Joined Aug 30, 2008
Last seen Oct 15, 2009

He hasn't been around in a while.... 12 years ago.
The website keeps track of members' posts and logins and you can see it by placing your cursor over or on any member's name as it appears to the left of their reply.

BamaCowboy

Well-known member · 71 · From Reform,Alabama
Joined Aug 30, 2008
Last seen Oct 15, 2009
Greybeard, do you know if something happened to bigbull338?
I talk to Red Bull Breeder often.

Greybeard, do you know if something happened to bigbull338?
I talk to Red Bull Breeder often.
I do not know. I do know he and someone else got crossways a few years ago, but seems like I saw him post after that minor little squabble.
Last I remember, he was doing seedstock then wanted to get more into show calves, but that's been awhile ago.

I do not know. I do know he and someone else got crossways a few years ago, but seems like I saw him post after that minor little squabble.
Last I remember, he was doing seedstock then wanted to get more into show calves, but that's been awhile ago.
Just hope something hasn't happened to him

We raise many Beefmaster x Angus cross cattle every year. I have discussed this on the forum before. The beefmaster x angus cross works great in both directions. The replacement females are exceptional/second to none. The first cross bulls work great too, granted not all first cross beefmaster x angus bulls work consistently. It has taken us many generations to get our first cross bulls to produce consistent, desireable offspring. The offspring are more moderate framed, therefore requiring less feed intake. I have spoken to Christine Guidry at GeneStar regarding GeneStars data on Bos indicus influenced cattle. Bos Indicus alone is -3.626FEGPD. GeneStar reports the national average for Bos indicus influenced cattle to be -3.54lbs FEGPD. The FEGPD for English cattle is -2.95lbs. At a time when the cost of feed is continuing to increase, breeding angus cows to beefmaster bulls or vice versa is in my opinion, a great idea. On another note, Dr. Tommy Perkins of Missouri State University has scan data supporting this cross. The data concludes that by crossing the beefmaster with an angus, the IMF% increases as well as the REA/cwt. Many times when breeders try to increase IMF% in their cattle, the REA/cwt decrease and vice-versa. For some reason this doesn't occur with the beefmaster x angus cross.

The beefmaster x angus cross is an exceptional cross. I believe they look like a beefmaster x angus cross, not a brangus, not an angus with ears. If you want to see a few hundred of em to decide for yourself, let me know. We would love to show em to ya.
Do u have any pictures

Do u have any pictures
They haven't been around since 2008. Hopefully some one else has some. I have seen BM x Brangus. I've seen Red Angus x BM.

I'm trying to move my family to Red Angus x BM. From what I have seen they still have the BM look, as said above, just cleaner. If the do have white it cleans a lot of white up.

Went to a couple of West KY/TN select heifer sales at Guthrie, with my neighbor, about 4-5 years ago.
Several groups of black AngusXBeefmaster heifers came through, and they were, to me, the prettiest heifers that sold...almost enticed me into buying some Beefmaster semen to put into some of my higher % Angus cows.

I know this is an older thread, but recently I have been intrigued and want to try a BM bull on my Red & Black Angus cows and replacement heifers. I have read a lot about the advantages that can come from the cross, as many members here have stated as well. My only concern is I spend a long time getting rid of horns and haven't had to dehorn a calf in ages. However, most purebred BM bulls that I have access to have horns. Even if the cows are polled won't I start having a percentage of calves with horns?

I know this is an older thread, but recently I have been intrigued and want to try a BM bull on my Red & Black Angus cows and replacement heifers. I have read a lot about the advantages that can come from the cross, as many members here have stated as well. My only concern is I spend a long time getting rid of horns and haven't had to dehorn a calf in ages. However, most purebred BM bulls that I have access to have horns. Even if the cows are polled won't I start having a percentage of calves with horns?
If they are truly polled they shouldnt get horned calves.

If they are truly polled they shouldnt get horned calves.
Is that because the polled gene is dominant to a horned gene from another animal or am I thinking wrong? I'm assuming the cows in the herd now are all homozygous polled since I haven't had any offspring with horns or scurs in over 10yrs. I have heard there are polled BM out there just haven't found any within a 200 miles radius.

Is that because the polled gene is dominant to a horned gene from another animal or am I thinking wrong? I'm assuming the cows in the herd now are all homozygous polled since I haven't had any offspring with horns or scurs in over 10yrs. I have heard there are polled BM out there just haven't found any within a 200 miles radius.
Yes but you need more advice about the beefmasters. Caustic or someone can tell you more. They discuss a horned gene that doesn't follow the rules but im not sure the BM has any of that gene. But for years we usrd Horned Herefords on our cows.

Latest posts