Beef/Marbling/Tenderness/ Butterfat ??

Help Support CattleToday:

usernametaken

Reaction score
I apologize if this is on the wrong board - not sure where to put it.

Recently I read that Gerald Fry stated the way the old timers judged how tender and marbled the meat would be was by how much Butterfat the cow produced - needed to be a minimum of 3% butterfat for good quality beef.

Anyone have any experience with this theory ?

I'd guess that more than likely there's a relationship there. Fat is what makes tender and marbled.

But, to know about butterfat, you have to milk the cow don't you? The chance of that happening would be on the low side of slim to none.

In any case, it ain't gonna be too reliable if you're dealing with a steer........

I think I read that fat only accounts for about 10% of tenderness.
I do know that I have had well marbled steaks that were as tough as leather.

grannysoo":3ia7dc68 said:
My thoughts are the same as Jims. How you gonna milk that bull? :D

Since it is the steer that is the beef animal, I thought about how to measure that too. I can only think they are relying on the % of butterfat in the mother's milk. At least I can't think of another way :lol:

I also have been told the Jersey beef is very good and would wonder if the butterfat there is a factor.

novatech":25dpatmb said:

And some very lean meat that would melt in your mouth with great flavor as well ;-)

usernametaken":3vgifh1l said:
grannysoo":3vgifh1l said:
My thoughts are the same as Jims. How you gonna milk that bull? :D

Since it is the steer that is the beef animal, I thought about how to measure that too. I can only think they are relying on the % of butterfat in the mother's milk. At least I can't think of another way :lol:

I also have been told the Jersey beef is very good and would wonder if the butterfat there is a factor.

Most jersey beef you'll eat will be raised on milk replacer as the cow will be milked for dairy purposes, so not sure that you can come to much of a conclusion from that.

I agree in theory that higher butterfat milk will raise a better growthier and probably healthier calf, I am just not sure it has been researched to the degree that it could be considered a fact.

From the research I have read, the genetic ability of cattle to create butterfat in the milk also creates more fat deposits(marbling) in the meat. Jersey meat is usually highly marbled, juicy, and very tender. Old-timers thought it was the best. Modern meat grading eliminated it because of small carcass and lower yield. Yellow fat also a problem.
AppalachCattle

TexasBred":s6v5f43r said:
novatech":s6v5f43r said:

And some very lean meat that would melt in your mouth with great flavor as well ;-)

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Recently I read that Gerald Fry stated the way the old timers judged how tender and marbled the meat would be was by how much Butterfat the cow produced - needed to be a minimum of 3% butterfat for good quality beef.

An excess of caloric intake, above and beyond what is needed to grow and maintain is how marbling gets deposited. It's also where backfat comes from, the biggest waste in the beef business.

Whether those calories come from fat or carbohydrates makes no difference.

I could see where they might use that as a minute judgement, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it everytime for being tender.

MikeC":2curuetx said:

An excess of caloric intake, above and beyond what is needed to grow and maintain is how marbling gets deposited. It's also where backfat comes from, the biggest waste in the beef business.

Whether those calories come from fat or carbohydrates makes no difference.

I could see where they might use that as a minute judgement, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it everytime for being tender.

Heavy marbling also does a great job of covering up gross mistakes made by the cook. :banana:

Latest posts