Beef from different country's

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
What are all of the countrys that the US allows to ship beef into the US ? And is that beef on the hoof or already butchered ? And what are all of the other countrys that the US sales beef to ? I am tring to figure out who all the US trades with in the beef market.

And Oldtimer stated in the everything else board that the USDA allows supermarket's to buy beef from other countrys and put a USDA approved stamp on it. So that consumer's does not know that the meat came from out of the country. How do they get away with that ?

This is America.Anything can be gotten away with if the right people be tryin ta do the gettin away.

Rookie":w5o9tcet said:
This is America.Anything can be gotten away with if the right people be tryin ta do the gettin away.

Breaks my heart to say it...and I'm riskin' one big a** stoning, but Rookie, you are so right! AND, that's as political as I intend to get on this board. ;-)

Alice

Stepper":2w3p89rd said:
What are all of the countrys that the US allows to ship beef into the US ? And is that beef on the hoof or already butchered ? And what are all of the other countrys that the US sales beef to ? I am tring to figure out who all the US trades with in the beef market.

And Oldtimer stated in the everything else board that the USDA allows supermarket's to buy beef from other countrys and put a USDA approved stamp on it. So that consumer's does not know that the meat came from out of the country. How do they get away with that ?

Stepper- The last I had heard we import meat products from 37 countries of the world...The primary ones are Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, and Uruguay....Mexico and Canada are the only countries that I know import in live cattle for slaughter....The USDA has a list of all the amounts and what is allowed from every country- and what we export to each country...

You are right- they are getting away with FRAUD...This meat is all slaughtered in and inspected in these countries by inspectors from that country...99.5% of it is never looked at by a USDA inspector or even a US government employee- but the USDA still allows them to put the USDA inspected stamp on the meat after it arrives in the US.

And the others are right- Packer money lobbying and a Packer run USDA has bought the postponement of the implementing of the Mandatory Country of Origin Law- so they can continue to pass off ALL meat as US....And the sad thing is that most consumers in the US don't know that it is happening.....

Before the BSE case in Washington State we [USA] was the worlds lagest exporter of beef $ wise. And we were the worlds largest importer and still are by far.

We pretty much import beef and beef poducts from any country that has it for sale. All countries must meet requirments. Countries must be free of certain deseases like hoof and mouth, brucellosis and others to sell us fresh or frozen beef.

Coutries like Brazil [with the worlds largest # of cattle] can only send us processed beef. We better hope with all those cattle they don't get the green light to sell us fresh and frozen.

Our beef exports are way down from what they were before the first BSE in Wa ST.

No US beef is going to Japan or S Korea, Our best costomers before BSE. The USA has had 3 cases of BSE Japan has had 24 confirmed cases of Mad Cow. Go Figure :mad:

mnmt

We pretty much import beef and beef poducts from any country that has it for sale. All countries must meet requirments. Countries must be free of certain deseases like hoof and mouth, brucellosis and others to sell us fresh or frozen beef.

Coutries like Brazil [with the worlds largest # of cattle] can only send us processed beef. We better hope with all those cattle they don't get the green light to sell us fresh and frozen.

I read an article the other day that all the beef in Campbell soups is cheap processed beef that comes from Argentina...I have not been able to verify this- but the article said the current beef political problems in that country could upset Campbells supply....

Campbells doesn't say anything on their website- maybe they aren't proud of their outsourcing ;-) .....

I believe the bulk of Aussie beef that we export to US is grass finished hamburger, to make up for the low level of domestic production. No great demand for grain finished prime cuts, because apparently you guys make plenty of them at home.

Recently we had a case of indian buffalo appearing in overseas markets, stamped as prime aussie beef. At least your fake US beef is actually beef.

teletigger":1yk3u7ir said:
How would US consumers feel about eating home-grown beef and paying 10%+ more for it. :roll:
regards
The ones I speak with are in favor of and would pay a premium for locally grown beef. And when you get to talking to people alot of them are confused thinking the CAB brand is all American produced. We need something besides marketing hype
to identify American grown beef.
mnmtranching":1yk3u7ir said:
No US beef is going to Japan or S Korea, Our best costomers before BSE. The USA has had 3 cases of BSE Japan has had 24 confirmed cases of Mad Cow. Go Figure :mad:

mnmt
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 514a6.html
24 was some time ago. They are up to 26.
The Japanese have never said them wouldn't trade because of BSE. They want a system in place that can trace back products. And this is the reason they are taking Canadian beef.
The Canadians said let's at least try to work with the customers. The US thinks they will brow beat customers into trade with us. Wrong. Give up on the Japanese market till you are ready to WOW and WOO the consumer. The wholesalers won't write contracts for somthing that won't sell. Please somebody prove me wrong....Show me where the Japanese consumer wants your beef. The Creekstone decision by our government created resentment by those consumers. I believe
that was the final nail in the coffin.

marimus":1cx53so6 said:
I believe the bulk of Aussie beef that we export to US is grass finished hamburger, to make up for the low level of domestic production. No great demand for grain finished prime cuts, because apparently you guys make plenty of them at home.

Recently we had a case of indian buffalo appearing in overseas markets, stamped as prime aussie beef. At least your fake US beef is actually beef.

marimus- And I would have no heartburn with imported beef if the current administration and the USDA would enforce the Mandatory Country of Origin Law that was passed by Congress 4 years ago...

The current practice of allowing Packer/Retailers to remove the country labeling from meat, replace with a USDA inspected stamp, and pass it off as US beef is FRAUD...Especially when the meat has never been inspected by a USDA inspector......

When you read some of the stories of what was found being imported into the US from other countries and passed off as beef it makes the indian buffalo seem mild...I think the best was the wild donkey meat coming from Morrocco. :roll: .. You always wonder how much of that, or Mexican goat, actually got into the country before it was caught and was passed off to US consumers as US beef.... :( :mad:

Oldtimer,

I apprechaite your answers to my questions. That is the first i have herd about donkey and goat meat being passed off as american beef.

It will be a standard practice for me to raise my own beef from this day on. I did not know the US needed to import beef from so many other countrys.

Stepper":xcu1bk4i said:
I did not know the US needed to import beef from so many other countrys.

Neither does the average american consumer.

dj you also make a good point regarding CAB. Many people do not relize that Certified Angus Beef is a brand name.
(no, I am not trying to get that old pot stirred up again).

Katherine

Oldtimer":3or9lbfa said:
I think the best was the wild donkey meat coming from Morrocco. :roll: .. You always wonder how much of that, or Mexican goat, actually got into the country before it was caught and was passed off to US consumers as US beef.... :( :mad:

This is a new one, would you please be so kind as to provide links to those stories? Thanks!

I have a question for our Australian friends?

Do you folks test at all for BSE?

If not, why does Japan and S. Korea demand that all our cattle be tested. :D

msscamp":1c7d9glv said:
Oldtimer":1c7d9glv said:
I think the best was the wild donkey meat coming from Morrocco. :roll: .. You always wonder how much of that, or Mexican goat, actually got into the country before it was caught and was passed off to US consumers as US beef.... :( :mad:

This is a new one, would you please be so kind as to provide links to those stories? Thanks!

The Morocco donkey meat was discovered a couple years back- The link is in ranchers.net archives-- I'll see if I can key it up..You need to read the General Accounting Offices's investigations into the Mexican slaughter houses- that and some of the other independent investigations done down there- you may never want to eat generic boughten burger again...I remember in one of the investigations they found the packers buying already long dead cattle and goats at the back door...I'll see if I can find the articles- all and their links have been posted on ranchers.net bull session....

Remember the inspectors are not USDA or even US employees- they are Mexican government employees in a country historically known for bad pay to their inspectors, regulators, and policing agencies- they are expected to supplement their incomes on graft :roll: ......

mnmtranching":2dph3yug said:

We have never had a case of BSE. It is also illegal (and has been since the 60s) to feed with meat and bone meal protien sources. And yes, we do test animals, but certainly not all of them :)

Here is a good link with info.
Australia's BSE Approach

marimus

marimus":cfdpz9j6 said:
mnmtranching":cfdpz9j6 said:

We have never had a case of BSE. It is also illegal (and has been since the 60s) to feed with meat and bone meal protien sources. And yes, we do test animals, but certainly not all of them :)

Here is a good link with info.
Australia's BSE Approach

marimus
Australia's Approach to BSE

Return to BSE Resource Centre

Summary

All of the evidence available indicates a very low probability of BSE being present in the Australian cattle herd. Measures taken by industry and government over nearly 40 years, means that Australia remains well positioned in relation to remaining free of BSE. Protection of consumers in domestic and export markets remains the number -one priority. However, there is no such thing as zero risk and BSE measures in Australia must continue to evolve in relation to the science available and market requirements.

Australia's BSE Firewalls

Australia remains free of BSE, as a result of both good management and good fortune:

Ban on Meat and Bone Meal Imports - In 1966 (20 years before BSE was first discovered) Australia banned the importation of meat and bone meal from any country other than New Zealand. This ban was implemented to protect Australia from anthrax, however, this ban was fortuitous in that it prevented the Australian cattle herd from being exposed to the one known source of BSE infection as the disease emerged.

Ban on live cattle imports from BSE countries - Upon the identification of BSE, Australia also banned the importation of live cattle from Britain, and has since expanded the ban to include other countries where BSE has been discovered. The human population has been protected from vCJD through banning the import of meat products from those same countries. Screening procedures are also implemented at blood banks to prevent the possibility of blood being donated by people possibly exposed to BSE (eg: past, long-term residents of the UK).

Tracing and quarantine of imported animals - Live cattle still resident in Australia that came from those countries that have recorded cases of BSE have been traced via their importation certificates and Breed Society records. Owners have been contacted by the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service (AQIS) and offered the option of "quarantine for life" or slaughter with compensation (paid by cattle industry). This ensures the animals do not enter the human or animal food chain. "Quarantine for Life" means that the animals are fitted with RFID tags (if they are not in place already), and the owners are contacted regularly. Upon the on-farm death of an animal, the disposal is overseen by a government official and brain tissue is removed for BSE testing.

Ruminant Feed Ban - Despite the ban on meat and bone meal imports, Australia has also implemented (in 1997) a strong official ban on the feeding of ruminant products to other ruminants (with the exception of tallow, gelatine and milk which have been scientifically cleared of transmitting BSE). ]This was extended in 1999 to a ban on the feeding of mammalian Meat and Bone Meal (MBM) to ruminantsand further extended in 2001 to a ban on the feeding of all vertebrate materials to ruminants. , These bans were extended to eliminate the risk of cross-contamination of feeds. National audits are conducted regularly for these bans, the first in 1998. A DNA test has also been developed to ensure no locally produced or imported stockfeeds contain banned ruminant products, and all stockfeeds must be labelled appropriately.

Surveillance - Australia has also developed a national BSE Surveillance Program which, via testing cattle that display the symptoms of a neurological disorder, is designed to have a 99% chance of finding BSE, should it exist, at a rate of 1animal per million (as per OIE

recommendation).

Maintaining Australia's BSE Freedom

Australia's BSE-prevention policies have led it to being internationally recognised as one of the countries least likely to have a case of BSE in its cattle herd. In 2001and again in 2004 the European Union rated Australia under its Geographical Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy Risk (GBR) classification system at the most favourable level – Level 1 – indicating: "it is highly unlikely that domestic cattle are (clinically or pre-clinically) infected with the BSE-agent".