Beef Curry Pot

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
I've got a pot of curry on the stove right now. I thought I would post the recipe so that if any of you are really brave you could try it - it's HOT!!

Ingredients
oil to fry
1kg cubed beef (or lamb)
3 onions - chopped
3 med potatoes - diced
3 tomatoes/puree - diced
3 carrots - diced
2 cups beans - slice
1 apple - diced
3 green chillies
1 red chillie
3 Tbsn hot curry
1 Tbsn tumeric
2 Tbsn grated ginger
6 garlic cloves
3 bay leaves
1/2 cup raisins
1 lemon - juice
salt
2 Tbsn brown sugar
1 cup fresh peanuts
2 Tbsn vinegar
Stock

Brown meat
Add onions and saute
Add sugar, salt, lemon, garlic, chillies, curry, tumeric, bay leaves, ginger and raisins - leave on
heat for a couple of minutes stirring
Add all veggies and apple
Add stock unil it covers food
Cook for 1hr in pressure cooker
Coarsely chop peanuts and add
Add vinegar and thicken curry if necessary
Serve on a bed of rice, sprinkle with chopped coriander/parsley...and coconut

If I remember I'll take some pics..... :D

DSC00002-2.jpg

Here's the pic :D
I am inquisitive to know why curry does not seem to appeal too much to Americans? Is it that curry is very different from what the American palate is used to and you prefer to stick to localised foods? Does it smell vile? Is it considered a peasant food? Have any of you tried curry and would you again?
Please let me know..... :?

We love curries in Australia, Alison. I like them hot I will give your recipe a go, it looks good. Living by myself, if I cook up a big pot I can get about a dozen meals out of it to freeze.
Ken

I am pretty sure curry is popular in the south as it is used in Caribbean cuisine.

I use madras curry in a few dishes, like my Hungarian goulash ,Swedish meatballs and a dip/sauce that is really good.

We like orange curry not the yellow curry it smells and tastes better to us , this must be because it contains less turmeric and more cumin and coriander .

We would like your beef curry pot too, and it also has a satay flavor that is popular in Indonesian/Dutch cuisine . :D Looks good, What kind of beans do you use Alison ?

That looks great, ill print it out and have Jess cook it up. She doesn't like spicy, so we might use less curry. I'm curious about the peanuts tho. Never would have thought of adding pnuts to a stew type dish

Ken - have a tall glass of milk and a sliced banana with you meal when you make it ;-) or cut back on the chillies. When I make curry I usually let it stand for an hour after cooking before eating, it just gives it a chance for all the flavours to come into their own and the curry 'rounds off' and is not that hot. And of course a curry dish is always better the next day in my opinion, I don't know if you have found that as well?

HD - I should have mentioned 'fresh green' beans :)

Hook - The peanuts really compliment the curry. They must be fresh peanuts not roasted and then just soak them in hot water about an hour before adding. They then swell slightly but keep their 'crunchiness' which adds an interesting texture to the dish.

Enjoy!

Alison, my frozen curries are always better than the one I eat straight after cooking. I usually leave them outside overnight to cool before putting in the freezer.

I'd hate to put anyone off of making this curry dish but I just looked at the pic again and it looks decidedly like a ..........cow pie with whole corn in it :oops: :lol: :lol:

A fellow curry lover! After the time I spend in the UK I love curries, when we entertain its often a few curries.

Jogeephus":16sk83hp said:
I've never had it but would like to try it if I could find the spices.

Jo, Epicure carries some really flavorful curry spices ;I like the madras curry .

One of my favorite spices to use in exotic cooking is garam Marsala ,it sure can add to a dish.

Thanks HD, I'll keep it in mind to get some on order. We have an indian grocery store about 30 miles from me and I've gone in there before. I imagine they would have it. Its just not something I think about till I'm too far away.

KNERSIE":1hn77ia3 said:
A fellow curry lover! After the time I spend in the UK I love curries, when we entertain its often a few curries.
Have never done that, our main dish is usually the curry. So would you have a curry hors' d'oeuvres and then move onto a couple of curry dishes made with different meats? I hope pudding's not curry as well :shock:
cowman":1hn77ia3 said:
alison very good, my wife has a recipe almost identical to that , Love it
Good on you two ;-)

Latest posts