Beef Cattle Science

Help Support CattleToday:

glfgy74

Reaction score
Has anyone read the Beef Cattle Science book by M.E. Ensminger? Apparently it's a text book from Colorado State University and brings a new price of 186 bucks. Amazon has used copies for 20ish....

useful to anyone?

glfgy74":3lfnws9v said:
Has anyone read the Beef Cattle Science book by M.E. Ensminger? Apparently it's a text book from Colorado State University and brings a new price of 186 bucks. Amazon has used copies for 20ish....

useful to anyone?
I have used it. Mostly for reference, not to sit down and read the book.
He packed a lot of information into anything he wrote. Some of it could actually be useful.
A lot of his was just reguritation of pamphlets, bulletins, etc.
Try to get it from your local library to see how much it is worth to you before spending a lot of money on it.

Might be worth twenty bucks.

Heather Smith Thomas I think has him beat hands down.

They are still using Ensminger's as a text book? I had it as a text book 40 plus years ago. I am pretty sure I lost it in the house fire in '84. I do have a copy of his The Stockman's Handbook. It is a handy reference. But it was first published in 1955 so their is new information out there that is not included in it.

I'm not sure if they are still using it for class work. doubt it being that old, but i'm sure i'll get a good 20 bucks worth of information out of it....

I'm going to look into Heather Smith Thomas...appreciate the share on that...

I've seen quite a few references to the Stockmans Handbook as well...all seem like good bedside reading!

A greenhorn can't get enough information!

heather thomas smith good for any cow person just learnin the ropes ******* br

glfgy74":3891lrtq said:

useful to anyone?

Most all major universities used it. Required collage textbook for me in the early '70s. Still have it. Bought it new for $12.50 (price tag still on it), which if I recall was a high priced book at that time. Used it for a beef cattle production class. It was very useful for people who had little knowledge or expeience with cattle. Most of what's in it was common knowledge for those that grew up with cattle. Same author also published, "Swine Science". Same sort of book for swine. Still have that one too. Same price.

i find it hard to believe that no one has come up with a newer version suitable for use as a text.....that book is almost as old as me.....
it was foundation knowledge.....

but 186 bucks.....no....

I mean I know other books have been written on the subject but I am amazed that this old tome is still being used as a classroom text. It was last updated in 1997.

There's a bunch on Amazon for much less...i paid 20ish for it...maybe someone put it amazon searching for a sucker....

Glad it's gonna give me some foundation knowledge...i'm usually a try it, screw up, learn, screw up and then it sinks in kinda guy. wanna learn a new way!!!!

I really appreciate everyone's feedback...looks like i got a book worth keeping around for a while...

bring on the Rain!

Latest posts