Be careful with those calf puller contraptions . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

Dang, that is bad. There's a 1000 ways to die on farm, and familiarity breeds neglect. It's a wonder there aren't even more injuries.

sad, I just read that story
I also know of a young boy that was drug to death this last Tue. by a horse. had a lead rope tied around his waist and snapped it to the halter and horse got spooked and the boy lost his life. Was just a freak thing boy was with the horse all the time and was not thinking ,as kids will do sometimes.

Its just the chain. I put them on and then decide if I'll use the handles and pull by hand, or use the calf puller - Both use the same chains.

I do it myself, make a loop and slip it over your wrist to have it ready, then transfer it onto the hoof. He likely had one foot done, and was getting ready to place the 2nd loop on when the cow took off.. Bad deal for sure.

so yall pull calves without securing the danged cow????

I would never risk being hooked to a large animal over which I had no control.

I can see how it could happen. Last one I pulled, the cow was standing up, unrestrained. I did have her in the lot though. But I don't wrap the chain around my wrist. And I don't sneak up on the cow. I make sure she knows I'm there. Just a sad reminder to always be careful. Things can happen so fast.

pdfangus":2pxnr6al said:

:nod: :nod: :nod:

The only one I ever pulled from, unrestrained, the cow was down and we had a rope on calf's legs but the rope was not looped around any part of us, for safety reasons. Any other pulls have been cow tied to post, in the head-gate, tied to tree.

Very unfortunate thing to have happen. I feel for the family. Very sad. :(

pdfangus":3hzqm3c5 said:

All the time. Never used a set of chains in my life. Use a soft horse rope and pull in sync with contractions.

JWBrahman":1l0uzf2w said:
pdfangus":1l0uzf2w said:

All the time. Never used a set of chains in my life. Use a soft horse rope and pull in sync with contractions.
I plaited three strands of baler twine and made me a puller and work with the cow like you but I do have her confined to a chute. Have had this "puller" for years and works great. Luckily I haven't needed it lately.

TB it is helpful if you can loop the hooves when she is laying down and get the calf out as she is getting up. You know how they will start laying down and getting back up if they have one hip locked.

Sounds like some pretty easy pulls if you're doing it with string, rope, and the cow getting ups momentum.

Some of these northern animals, and the force it takes would frighten you. 2 men playing themselves out on the end of 6ft puller, type force. And that's not bragging - it's not fun for anyone involved.

Brahman in the pedigree plus high accuracy lbw genetics makes all the difference when calving heifers. Brahman tend to have bigger butts so occasionally you get a hip lock.

We have cow killer genetics here, too. Hope Springs, Eternal is a crowded city. Every year somebody sticks a big ole Char bull on moderate ABC cattle and hopes for the best.

Supa Dexta":77ocqydc said:
Sounds like some pretty easy pulls if you're doing it with string, rope, and the cow getting ups momentum.

Some of these northern animals, and the force it takes would frighten you. 2 men playing themselves out on the end of 6ft puller, type force. And that's not bragging - it's not fun for anyone involved.

It ain't just the northern animals. I've pulled so hard with a come-along that I've picked the cows back feet up off the ground while she was standing in the chute. Been years ago though. Bulls have come a long way with calving ease and birth weights. Still gonna have a problem once in a while but not as often as we once did. Pulling down and with the contractions helps tremendously.

Supa Dexta":2fyssa1j said:

Ever tried to break three strands of baling twine plaited together?? Pretty stout stuff. Never had one break myself. Taking advantage of the movement and contractions of the cow is pretty much SOP around here and all I do is assist her not try to overpower her. Just because a cow is big and the calf is big does not mean it has to be an all night affair. NO idea what "north" has to do with it. 1600 lbs. is the same north or south. My experience is that "two" men usually get in each other's way more than complimenting each other especially if neither has much experience.

TexasBred":2zf6gma1 said:
Supa Dexta":2zf6gma1 said:

Ever tried to break three strands of baling twine plaited together?? Pretty stout stuff. Never had one break myself. Taking advantage of the movement and contractions of the cow is pretty much SOP around here and all I do is assist her not try to overpower her. Just because a cow is big and the calf is big does not mean it has to be an all night affair. NO idea what "north" has to do with it. 1600 lbs. is the same north or south. My experience is that "two" men usually get in each other's way more than complimenting each other especially if neither has much experience.

We always use mule tape and a come a long . the come along doesn't pull , just keeps steady tension and keeps me from getting tired. I pull and take the slack with the come along. Maybe not the best but we have a pretty good average.

Fence, you just gotta use what works best for you. I've seen a bunch of different approaches. Some good, some bad. A vet told me once to never pull harder than what two men could pull by hand, but I've seen desperate times call for desperate measures. I've been fortunate. I've only pulled one in the last ten years. And that was a backwards presentation. I sure hope I ain't jinxing myself. (With that being said, I haven't calved out but 1 heifer in that time period)

Latest posts