Be careful with those calf puller contraptions . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

We calve several heifers a year . usually just me and the wife. I've learned you don't want to get right in the middle of it and run out of gas. I go to the tools from the start , just use it very conservatively

TexasBred":3obdrq86 said:
Ever tried to break three strands of baling twine plaited together?? Pretty stout stuff. Never had one break myself. Taking advantage of the movement and contractions of the cow is pretty much SOP around here and all I do is assist her not try to overpower her. Just because a cow is big and the calf is big does not mean it has to be an all night affair. NO idea what "north" has to do with it. 1600 lbs. is the same north or south. My experience is that "two" men usually get in each other's way more than complimenting each other especially if neither has much experience.

In that bw tends to be higher up here as a generality. Big cows don't tend to need a hand. And someone without much experience has no business on the end of a puller, without someone showing him how to use it. And the reason a puller and chains exist is because you could drag a cow across the yard before budging the type of calf I'm talking about with steady pressure. You need the leverage in varying directions. And the reason string doesn't work in that case, is because you need to act quickly and choke up on the chain links when you run out of pull in a certain direction, you pull up the slack and get at it again.

And Ive used come alongs and chain blocks in the past. Sometimes with success, other times not. But always best to use the right tool for the job, So I wouldn't go back. Get your calves out alive and uninjured is all Im advocating, how ever you want to.

Supa Dexta":lqrcpthn said:
And Ive used come alongs and chain blocks in the past. Sometimes with success, other times not. But always best to use the right tool for the job, So I wouldn't go back. Get your calves out alive and uninjured is all Im advocating, how ever you want to.

Same here, just never have seen the need for a chain and excessive pressure when the cow was not also pushing. My little home made rig works great for me and that's all that matters.

I always tried to use chains because you could disinfect them between uses....
allegedly cordage of any type can not be disinfected.

on the other hand....
I have three and four strand baler twine braids all over the place.....
I braid em with a loop in one end and they are ever so useful for all sorts of stuff....
and like TB says they are pretty strong....
I braid some with single lengths of twine and braid some with double lengths of twine....

pdfangus":2jcrbvdv said:
I always tried to use chains because you could disinfect them between uses....
allegedly cordage of any type can not be disinfected.

on the other hand....
I have three and four strand baler twine braids all over the place.....
I braid em with a loop in one end and they are ever so useful for all sorts of stuff....
and like TB says they are pretty strong....
I braid some with single lengths of twine and braid some with double lengths of twine....

Jim I've a couple of three string braids that were about 15 foot lone. Tied three of them together and braided them and made one pretty darn nice rope with 9 strings about 10-12 foot long.

Ive used every imaginable thing as a puller. I had high hopes on mule tape but its slicker than bull snot . only way to make it work is tying knots every 6" but then you cant get it disinfected for reuse. chains are best IMO

Enough years working on fishing boats, in the woods, and around rodeo. Never ever wrap anything around your wrist, arm, leg, waist, or any other part of your body. Wraps don't always come loose when you want them to.

Dave":10idps04 said:
Enough years working on fishing boats, in the woods, and around rodeo. Never ever wrap anything around your wrist, arm, leg, waist, or any other part of your body. Wraps don't always come loose when you want them to.

I FORTUNATELY learned that as a kid when I had a pony pull back and I had a loop around my hand....luckily had no lasting damage but some good rope burns when I got it unwrapped and the pony pulled away from me rather than dragging me.

I wrapped it in an effort to not have rope burns...

finally got that pony broke to ride and drive though....

I am somewhat neurotic about ropes now.... :cowboy:

Seems like there is a common theme in some of these farm/ranch deaths from bulls, cows etc. Fellas over the age of 70, working by themselves often. Probably will be me too...should I make it past 70.

M-5":2zq3wxmf said:
Ive used every imaginable thing as a puller. I had high hopes on mule tape but its slicker than bull snot . only way to make it work is tying knots every 6" but then you cant get it disinfected for reuse. chains are best IMO

Got a lifetime supply of mule tape. So that's what we use. I take a piece about 8 foot long, tie a loop in both ends. Run a loop through the loops and slide it over my wrist. Reach in and grab a foot in my hand slide the slip loop off my wrist over the foot. Repeat with other end, other foot...hook comealong to mule tape and take up slack, it'll center up automatically.
The way I usually do it is pull fairly snug. And just kinda put my weight on the rig causing a steady downward pull. As the calves comes a bit tighten the jack a bit. Practically no straining or pulling with my back or arms.

When done throw the mule tape away.

Latest posts