Barrel feeder in tire

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8":20rsz4dw said:
dogman11":20rsz4dw said:
We had a bunch of those blue plastic tubs from TSC that had fly control mineral in them at one time and all we did was pour some quikrete cement in them. Let them set up and then use. They're heavy enough that they don't travel far even though they're not permanently in place and if you need to move them then one person can load them in a pickup fairly easily. Works for us and the price was right since they we laying around.

Interesting....and no tire. Who would have thunk. Brilliant! so so much easier than adding a tire. Its like a weeble, they wobble but they dont fall down. Did you ever have any concrete break loose?

None has broke loose so far. Time will tell, but it's definitely easier than the tire. I'll let ya know if they do break loose.

Same as putting the bolt in for the tires sticking outwards, put a few pointing inwards before pouring the cement and that should help it hold in place.

I really like this idea! A couple questions: you using 1 80# bag of quickrete? With the weeble wooble effect, can a bull or rambunctious cow knock it around enough to slosh out some mineral? This is my one and only concern with the idea (else, I love it). The semi tire provides a virtually tip proof base. Thanks

I'm building one today. Put 100#s of quikcrete in the bottom of the barrel with a section of chain through the the concrete. Going to set in the semi tire and should be able to drag it with the chain.

bball":3hqez8v1 said:
I really like this idea! A couple questions: you using 1 80# bag of quickrete? With the weeble wooble effect, can a bull or rambunctious cow knock it around enough to slosh out some mineral? This is my one and only concern with the idea (else, I love it). The semi tire provides a virtually tip proof base. Thanks

We have 70 Angus cows and 3 Red Angus bulls. Been using 4 of these with about 25 pounds of mineral in each tub 2 times per week. Haven't had one get tipped over yet (3 will be dumped out on the ground tomorrow when I go feed now that I have written this...lol). Even when virtually empty, none have been turned over.

You could always attach some 2 inch pipe and bend up the ends to make runners to drag and to keep them from being tipped over.

dogman11":28dwv2pt said:
bball":28dwv2pt said:

We have 70 Angus cows and 3 Red Angus bulls. Been using 4 of these with about 25 pounds of mineral in each tub 2 times per week. Haven't had one get tipped over yet (3 will be dumped out on the ground tomorrow when I go feed now that I have written this...lol). Even when virtually empty, none have been turned over.

You could always attach some 2 inch pipe and bend up the ends to make runners to drag and to keep them from being tipped over.

Thanks for the feedback dogman. I have a barrel already cut up and ready to go, just haven't attached the tire yet. Guess I'm going to throw some concrete in it and give it a try. Appreciate your post on this :tiphat:

Made one with concrete this past weekend. 1 80# sack of quickrete, 4 3/8" bolts through the sides and a chunk of chain. Im hooked. Thanks for the tip dogman!

dogman11":h4t6w0wn said:
bball":h4t6w0wn said:

This sounds like a slick system but I really want to hear more about your RA bulls on thes BA cows. Got any pics of your calves? I've been toying with doing the same thing. Thanks.

TennesseeTuxedo":183hl2ie said:
dogman11":183hl2ie said:
bball":183hl2ie said:

This sounds like a slick system but I really want to hear more about your RA bulls on thes BA cows. Got any pics of your calves? I've been toying with doing the same thing. Thanks.

do you knock holes in bottom to keep them from filling with water

M-5":3bm3e2f7 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3bm3e2f7 said:
dogman11":3bm3e2f7 said:

They get very little water in them...although i'm guessing if it get knocked crooked it might, but we have one in every pasture, with a tire, and they never get anything more than maybe 1/4 pint maybe...dries in a day...

cowgirl8":2azm9aap said:
M-5":2azm9aap said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2azm9aap said:

They get very little water in them...although i'm guessing if it get knocked crooked it might, but we have one in every pasture, with a tire, and they never get anything more than maybe 1/4 pint maybe...dries in a day...

im referring to the ones with concrete in them and I call BS that a open container only gets a pint in it when it rains 2 inchs and dries in a day.

M-5":1gqcsvh3 said:
im referring to the ones with concrete in them and I call BS that a open container only gets a pint in it when it rains 2 inchs and dries in a day.
Maybe others will speak up.....but its not BS.. We get a lot of rain and they stay dry...Sorry you feel the need to question... I dont think the concrete ones would be any different unless maybe it was pushed into a ditch where it is on its side....if standing, no water will accumulate..I think the tire one would be less likely to be pushed around, but this i dont know for sure because i dont have one filled with concrete...

cowgirl8":1bhvabpj said:
M-5":1bhvabpj said:
Maybe others will speak up.....but its not BS.. We get a lot of rain and they stay dry...Sorry you feel the need to question... I dont think the concrete ones would be any different unless maybe it was pushed into a ditch where it is on its side....if standing, no water will accumulate..I think the tire one would be less likely to be pushed around, but this i dont know for sure because i dont have one filled with concrete...

only question because its a vessel that will hold water . We get 60+ inches of rain a year and I poured water out of an empty tote yesterday that was about 4" deep with mosquito larve in it and the only rain we have had in last 1.5 weeks was 2/10th Monday and 1/10 yesterday. so yea I call BS

CG8 do you even know what we are talking about here ?????? The questions that have been asked are referring to using a mineral/protein tub with concrete in the bottom for stabilizing it. It has an open top approx. 24" across so in essence is a large cistern that without a drainage system in place it will hold water .

M-5":3jqih3gw said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3jqih3gw said:
I believe she's thinking of the barrel type feeder which was after all the topic of this thread to begin with.

so my signature line is correct
So you were thinking that a 'tub' filled with concrete is what they OP was talking about???? Geeze pull your head out... Note the title of the thread...............Barrel feeder in tire....Of course an open tub is going to collect water, der. The concrete filled feeder is a barrel.. Now get it?

Latest posts